[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anybody have experience designing mascots? is there a rule

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (8KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 279x181px
does anybody have experience designing mascots? is there a rule of thumb on how many colors you should aim to use? most of the good mascots I see usually only use like 3 colors but I'm struggling in keeping to that rule when it comes to shadows and highlights
>>
>two colors other than the ones below
>white, grey, and black, can use all three
>vector
>minimal detail
>>
>>285823

so they don't necessarily need a stroke? I was trying to make use of the offset path tool for it but it just kept looking off. maybe it was because I was using too many colors.
>>
>>285831
If you give it a stroke, it should be one of the colours you've already used.
>>
File: yotsuba.jpg (98KB, 434x600px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba.jpg
98KB, 434x600px
I don't mean to hijack a thread, but did not want to create a new one for this question, but are there any free/cheap image editors that allow for text outline/stroke?

Or is there a way to do so in MS Paint that I am unaware of?
>>
>>285833
Pirate adobe
>>
>>285819
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sports+logo+illustrator
>>
File: goblins1.jpg (162KB, 707x831px) Image search: [Google]
goblins1.jpg
162KB, 707x831px
Mascots are so much fun to do, I wish I was good enough to get paid to create them.
>>
File: Hambulance Logo Full.jpg (110KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Hambulance Logo Full.jpg
110KB, 900x900px
>>285841
>>
>>285842
That hurts, too overdesigned and it's basically 2 logos because of the lifeline.
>>
>>285840

yeah I did see these.

the route I was trying to go was do a normal cartoon style vector trace of a real image just to get proper proportions of body parts (the mascot was supposed to be a baseball player) but I think just drawing out exactly what I want on paper or at least just the icon part may be my best bet.

>>285841

I remember seeing this one but the thread you posted it in previously hasn't been around in a while. yeah I really love the style too, I wish I could draw it better with pencil and paper. that youtube channel has a lot of really good ones. I wouldn't mind seeing a video of him showing his sketching process hjust to see how he settles on determining line thickness.
>>
>>285819

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS8hn_XrwqU

OP here

digging around youtube I found this video too so for anybody else interested and potentially struggling, this guy shows the sketching processes as well.

judging from what ive seen between this and other videos it seems like the key is just a strong sketching process and having a good handle on the line work and that seems to make it easier later on so I think I'm just going to do a shit load of sketching of the character I want and then try and turn it into mascot form.

appreciate the replies, think I got what I needed now. thanks everybody.
>>
>>285846

It's a typographic logo and a large format mascot, you know for food truck graphics
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1MB, 1360x4096px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
1MB, 1360x4096px
made this for a guy at /wsr/ got paid btw.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.