[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>we really want that "look" >can you add all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 11

File: 1425596278682.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1425596278682.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
>we really want that "look"
>can you add all of these things that will prevent you from achieve that "look"?
>>
Apokalypse was a table-top wargame, released in 1996, and set in the near future. It used 25mm minis (which in the '90s was synonymous with what has currently become 28mm) but was meant to be adapted for any scale of miniatures, depending on what you had available.

It's also a virtual unknown today, being the product of an indie operation that consisted of mainly three people. This company, Hardcore Media, was more or less budgeted out of pocket from its creators and they toured the scandinavian RPG convention scene in the mid-'90s. Because showing off and letting people play their game this way was basically the only option they had of at all spreading the word to fellow gamers. What they had on these conventions though was fucking awesome converted or scratch-built minis and probably the best wargame terrain I've ever seen, even today.

Even though Apokalypse sold out its printing (800-1200 copies?) it pretty much disappeared after Hardcore Media folded in 1998, presumably because the developers got tired of going around conventions with all their gaming material, while at the same time having next to no distribution or possibility of advertisement for Apokalypse. Noone kept the game alive or talked about it and it became an anecdote from conventions of old, practically forgotten for ~20 years.

This game is now available in the following PDF:
https://mega.nz/#!r8FkGIJD!djWKyN3us5-flomz0qaEVJf_3BT__-t9DZfNN3GbWLU
http://www78.zippyshare.com/v/ITEm2it0/file.html

Would you like the pages in original resolution they're also available here:
https://mega.nz/#!OoMzjJBT!2arL7EfTX1m6zPeCuyDO2m0AvPTqeVKhvJJ4naXX49g
>>
Apokalypse was a table-top wargame released in 1996, set in the near future. It defaulted to the 25mm scale (which in the '90s was synonymous with what has currently become 28mm) but was could easily be adapted for any sort of scale, depending on what you had available.

It's also a virtual unknown today, being the product of an indie operation that consisted of mainly three people. This company, Hardcore Media, was more or less budgeted out of pocket from its creators and they toured the scandinavian RPG convention scene in the mid-'90s. Because showing off and letting people play their game this way was basically the only option they had of at all spreading the word to fellow gamers. Though what they had on these conventions was armies of fucking awesome converted or scratch-built minis and probably the best wargame terrain I've ever seen, even today. I remember their display being quite the attention-getter and totally different from everything else on the con.

Even though Apokalypse sold out its printing (800-1200 copies?) it pretty much disappeared after Hardcore Media folded in 1998, presumably because the developers got tired of trudging around conventions with all their gaming material, while at the same time having next to no distribution or possibility of advertisement for Apokalypse. Noone kept the game alive or talked about it and it became an anecdote from conventions of old, practically forgotten for ~20 years.

Would you like the pages in original resolution they're available as well:
>>
>But Anon, we already have a totally grimdark wargame about the future of war!
Lets take a trip down memory lane: Back in the mid'90s 40k(2ed) was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon, with a crappy ruleset. That's it. Apart from this there existed only Warzone (which at the time actually had started to pick up steam, becoming a challenger to GW for the "scifi wargame throne"). There were perhaps a minor handful of other games but they were so small, and unadvertised in the public eye, that neither me nor honestly anyone else can remember them.
>>
Lets take a trip down memory lane: Back in the mid-'90s Warhammer 40k(2ed) was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon, with a crappy ruleset. That's it. Apart from this there existed only Warzone (which at the time actually had begun to pick up steam, starting to challenge GW for the hold of the "scifi wargame throne"). There were perhaps a minor handful of other games but they were so small, and unadvertised in the public eye, that neither me nor honestly anyone else can remember them.
>>
Apoka was a different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a dark vision of world war, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind at this time) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting.

I hear you snorting about "90's edge", and while there might be some point to this view you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going...
>>
File: c122.jpg (447KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c122.jpg
447KB, 1180x1700px
>>281835
Apoka was a different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a dark vision of world war, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind at this time) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting.
I hear you snorting about "90's edge", and there might indeed be a point in there, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going. It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down to grab something to eat, because they could or because you'd given them orders to. Both the setting and the ruleset were unlike anything else out at the time, and still is tbqh.
>>
File: c035.jpg (590KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c035.jpg
590KB, 1180x1700px
>>281835
I hear you snorting about "90's edge", and there might indeed be a point to that, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going. It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down in order to grab something to eat, because they could or because you'd given them orders to. Both the setting and the ruleset were unlike anything else out at the time, and very much still is.
>>
File: c050.jpg (420KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c050.jpg
420KB, 1180x1700px
>>281842
Apoka was a different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a vision of world war aftermath, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind during the '90s) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting.
I hear you snorting about "90's edge", and there might indeed be a point to that, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going. It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down in order to grab something to eat, because they could or because you'd given them orders to. Both the fluff and the ruleset were totally unlike anything else out at the time, and very much still is.
>>
File: c119.jpg (390KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c119.jpg
390KB, 1180x1700px
>>281835
Apoka was a different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a vision of world war aftermath, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind during the '90s) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting. I hear you snorting about "90's edge", there might indeed be a point to that, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going. It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down in order to grab something to eat, because they could or because you'd given them orders to. Both the fluff and the ruleset were totally unlike anything else out at the time, and very much still is.
>>
File: c019.jpg (450KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c019.jpg
450KB, 1180x1700px
>>281835
Apoka was a different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a vision of world war aftermath, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind during the '90s) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting. I hear you snorting about "90's edge", there might indeed be a point to that, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going! It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down in order to grab something to eat, because they could or because you'd given them orders to. Both the fluff and the ruleset were totally unlike anything else out at the time, and very much still is.
Its a wargame I've never stopped loving.

And since I find it incredibly sad and unfair that a game with as much of effort and quality put into it as Apokalypse had, it still had been totally forgotten and ignored by history and the gaming community. Which is why I really wanted to make a pdf out of it, that way at least the word could be spread to handfuls of fellow wargaming enthusiasts.
>>
File: c072.jpg (529KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c072.jpg
529KB, 1180x1700px
>>281835
Apoka was a different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a vision of world war aftermath, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind during the '90s) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting. I hear you snorting about "90's edge", there might indeed be a point to that, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going! It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down in order to grab something to eat, because they could or because you've given them orders to. Both the fluff and the ruleset were totally unlike anything else out at the time, and very much still is.

And since I find it incredibly sad and unfair that a game with as much effort and quality put into it, as Apokalypse had, it still has been totally forgotten and ignored by history and the gaming community.
Which is why I've really wanted to make this pdf. At least this way the word can spread to handfuls of fellow wargaming enthusiasts, for your pleasure of reading.
>>
File: c033.jpg (352KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c033.jpg
352KB, 1180x1700px
>>281835
Apoka was an all together different beast from all of these. It was not a game about humanity fighting against aliens or demons, aided by comic book weapons and shoulderpads. It was a vision of world war aftermath, rwandan and ex-yugoslavian ethnic cleansing (both fresh in mind during the '90s) taken to a global scale, in a not too far-off setting. I hear you snorting about "90's edge", there might indeed be a point to that, but you can't deny that Apokalypse very much had its own thing going! It was a game where ordinary humans gunned each other down in order to grab something to eat, because they could or because you've given them orders to. Both the fluff and the ruleset were totally unlike anything else out at the time, and very much still is.

And since I find it incredibly sad and unfair that a game with as much effort and quality put into it, as Apokalypse had, it still has been totally forgotten and ignored by history and the gaming community.
Which is why I've really wanted to make this pdf. At least this way the material can spread to handfuls of fellow wargaming enthusiasts!
I hope you'll find it worth the read.
>>
File: c001.jpg (116KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c001.jpg
116KB, 1180x1700px
Apokalypse was a table-top wargame released in 1996, set in the near future. It defaulted to the 25mm scale (which in the '90s was synonymous with what has currently become 28mm) but was could easily be adapted for any sort of scale, depending on what you had available.

It's also a virtual unknown today, being the product of an indie operation that consisted of mainly three people. This company, Hardcore Media, was more or less budgeted out of pocket from its creators and they toured the scandinavian RPG convention scene in the mid-'90s. Because showing off and letting people play their game this way was basically the only option they had of at all spreading the word to fellow gamers. Though what they had on these conventions was armies of fucking awesome converted or scratch-built minis and probably the best wargame terrain I've ever seen, even today. I remember their display being quite the attention-getter and totally different from everything else on the con.

Even though Apokalypse sold out its printing (800-1200 copies?) it pretty much disappeared after Hardcore Media folded in 1998, presumably because the developers got tired of trudging around conventions with all their gaming material, while at the same time having next to no distribution or possibility of advertisement for Apokalypse. Noone kept the game alive or talked about it and it became an anecdote from conventions of old, today practically forgotten for ~20 years.

Would you like the pages in original resolution they're available as well:
>>
File: c006.jpg (411KB, 1180x1700px) Image search: [Google]
c006.jpg
411KB, 1180x1700px
>>281852
So what was it about, eh?
>>
File: ultras_orks.jpg (493KB, 1500x1027px) Image search: [Google]
ultras_orks.jpg
493KB, 1500x1027px
>>281853
Lets take a trip down memory lane: Back in the mid-'90s Warhammer 40k (2ed) was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon with a crappy ruleset, that's it. Apart from this there was only Warzone (which at the time actually had begun to pick up steam, starting to challenge GW for the hold of the "scifi wargame throne"). There were perhaps a minor handful of other games but they were so small, and unadvertised in the public eye, that neither me nor honestly anyone else can remember them.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.