[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Pentagram just applies the most popular trend to the MasterCard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 20

File: redesigns.png (735KB, 1300x4800px) Image search: [Google]
redesigns.png
735KB, 1300x4800px
>Pentagram just applies the most popular trend to the MasterCard logo redesign
>"amazing creative innovative here are your millions of dollars"

>any one of us could've done it seeing as how it's literally the most obvious solution
>would've been called uninspired and no one would pay a cent for it

/gd/ is suffering
>>
>>276847
>mastercard
>Not Mastercard
My jimmies.
>>
>>276847
Every one of these is an improvement though (although maybe not premiere league).

They're not paying by the pixel or for how much you changed their old logo, they're paying you to solve business problems. Every single one of these redesigns wasn't just a new or altered logo, it was a branding exercise that effected every visual aspect of their company and how it is perceived by their customers and potential customers. I'm not saying every rebrand is worth the money paid but saying "any one of us could've done it" is not true. If you have the skills to negotiate a contract for rebranding a multi-national company and convincing them that a slightly altered logo is worth 1 million bucks then you wouldn't be posting on /g/.
>>
>>276850
/gd/*
>>
>>276850
None of the designers at Pentagram negotiate contracts, you twat. That's a job for sales. At most, project managers will have them estimate how long it might take them to finish a job, then they pass that on to sales who factors it into the quote so they can make a viable margin. Have you never worked at an agency?

And most of the jobs that Pentagram lands is a matter of networking and prestige. If you're a Fortune500 COO, you don't have just anyone handle your branding because you think they're good or they're creative or they know what they're doing. You go for the biggest, shiniest name you can so you can say "Insert Giant Creative Agency" did our branding because we're the best. Please give me a larger bonus.
>>
>>276850
>If you have the skills to negotiate a contract for rebranding a multi-national company and convincing them that a slightly altered logo is worth 1 million bucks then you wouldn't be posting on /gd/.

But that is the problem I'm talking about, design isn't about finding the best solution, it's about who can swindle the customer better.
>>
File: 1468787707893.png (52KB, 758x466px) Image search: [Google]
1468787707893.png
52KB, 758x466px
>you will never be as creative as the world renowned designer Michael Bierut
>>
>>276852
I meant any one of us in the sense of us or the companies we work for. But it is the designers job to justify the logo even if they aren't the exact person relaying that message.

I don't discount network effects. People hire expensive agencies because expensive agencies must be good right? why else would they be expensive? Despite this obviously flawed methodology most designers would fuck up the task of rebranding these companies. People also conflate "price paid for full rebrand" and "price of logo" as if the price paid to the agency was just for someone to sit in illustrator for one day and that was it.

I have worked at an agency, yes.
>>
File: guinness_logo.jpg (123KB, 1000x813px) Image search: [Google]
guinness_logo.jpg
123KB, 1000x813px
Can we please end this "famous/celebrity" nonsense of the capitalist American world, and not apply it to design as well? And just stop promoting total nullity; charlatans who consider themselves to be geniuses in whatever niche (and sometimes insignificant) domain. Do you want real design which solves problems and not this irrelevant bullshit? Then discuss design that you actually use it in your everyday life. Celebrate good design that improves lifestyle, such as creating ergonomic things which improve the quality of life, chairs designed for good posture and not for eye-candy, tools that have a better grip on the hand, lamps that make better use of light etc. From what I've observed until now, designers are some of the most hypocritical, two-faced, asskissers, unprofessional people that I've encountered so far. If OP wouldn't have told you that it was made by some rich kids in London, would you have said that they are actually an improvement? All these redesigns are the same. Apparently, whoever leads the projects at Pentagram only decides to use Helvetica clones. All of them are geometric sans-serif fonts—no variety whatsoever. At the expense of what? To hop on the flat and superficial bandwagon cliché? Ridiculous. When you work in a 'creative' agency and you kill all individuality because you can't admit that you're a one-trick pony hack, maybe it's time to call it quits. Imagination and creativity is a big fraction of a designer's prerequisite. And what's the thing with changing everything to lower caps? For a giant multinational financial corporation, it looks child-like and it loses its prestige. It is the same as any hip Silicon Valley startup. In contrast, look at the Guinness redesign. I see a bold, distinctive and unique elegance, all while maintaining its legacy, yet not passé. But apparently, I'm just a cranky guy who doesn't want to understand that no-effort-design is the norm today. It's already bad as it is in this field, don't make it worse.
>>
>>276865
I apologize for going a bit too autistic there. I've now realized. Sure, some are improvements, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
>>
File: 1468793937730.png (519KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468793937730.png
519KB, 1280x720px
>>276865
You mean to imply this ISN'T the pinnacle of poster design and shouldn't be worth thousands just because it was made by the edgemaster himself, Stefan Sagmeister? wew lad
>>
>>276874
You're such a pleb, did you even get naked for the design agency you work at? How am I going to determine your skill if I don't know how your dick looks like?
>>
>remove or simplify the logomark
>write the logotype in FF Mark

wow gd is ez
>>
>>276853
You'll eventually have to learn the difference between five arts / liberal arts vs industrial art.
Or don't, and fade into the abyss leaving me with less competition.
>>
>>276918
Hey man, I'm all for parting fools from their money, but I don't have delusions of grandeur while doing it.
>>
>>276921
I see why my message might have come across so, but that wasn't the point I was going to make, plus if you can't handle even mild crudeness, you're probably on the wrong forum. Sorry, bud.

>>276918
fine arts*
>>
>>276925
The delusions I'm talking about are Pentagram's or Bierut's or any other "celebrity" designer's. I have no problem with them taking absurd amounts of money for basic work from clients with too much disposable income, but they actually believe they're some world class revolutionary designers from doing so, present themselves as such, and everyone takes their word for it. You could call me jealous for not being in their position.
>>
>>276921
The delusions of grandeur are half the fun, anon. The other half is the money.
>>
File: 1468875667429.png (193KB, 1000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1468875667429.png
193KB, 1000x2000px
Where's my money?
>>
Pentagram is actually doing some truly awesome work if you go through their site, so you amateurs can just go suck a fat one.

And yes, anyone COULD have made that design, but only one company actually did. Just like anyone COULD have painted Le fils de l'homme, but only René Magritte did.

The redesign was an improvement, that's that...
>>
File: 5515578.jpg (8KB, 237x200px) Image search: [Google]
5515578.jpg
8KB, 237x200px
>>276958
>>
>>276952
Yahoo! one doesnt even look bad
>>
>>276952
>Yahoo!
>Canon
>Ikea
>Guinness
Not bad anon.. Not bad.
>>
>>276952
I actually really like the Yahoo one.
>>
>>276865
>Celebrate good design that improves lifestyle, such as creating ergonomic things which improve the quality of life, chairs designed for good posture and not for eye-candy, tools that have a better grip on the hand, lamps that make better use of light etc.

Aesthetics and utility are natural enemies, wearing the most comfortable and practical clothing is considered a fashion faux pas, for example. I don't endorse this philosophy, but that's how it is.
>>
Flat meme
>>
File: logo.png (19KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
19KB, 800x600px
Have this one for free MasterCard.
>>
>>277056
Indeed, they should have kept the PascalCase. In fact, all they had to do was to remove the shadow from the logotype. Oh wait, then it would have been exactly like the 1979 logo.
>>
>>277068
That one was perfection, they should've just updated the colors to the new fresh ones.
>>
File: 3032629-slide-pmapentagram.jpg (13KB, 750x484px) Image search: [Google]
3032629-slide-pmapentagram.jpg
13KB, 750x484px
This was the point where I finally accepted that Paula Scher is just phoning it in and cashing the check.
>>
>>276848
and the now lowercase "C" doesn't bother you? It sure bothers me.

Its fucking MasterCard.
>>
>>276847
>Oh no, people are making their logos legible and I'm too dumb to have thought about that first!

You know, in a business where everything changes all the time, it's not a bad trend to go with for a while.
>>
>>277582
Logos aren't supposed to change all the time. They're supposed to be as timeless and as least trendy as possible.
>>
>>277582
>I'm too dumb to have thought about that first!

It's not about that at all, it's about how even if you had sent the exact same thing to MasterCard and offered it for free they would have rejected it, while they would have gladly paid Pentagram for it. Celebrity bullshit.
>>
>>277584
>when markets and schools disagree
Don't listen to everything your design teachers tell you. Every once in a while, this market is renewed and so are its standards.

>>277585
No. This is a loser attitude mister!
Plus you have to admit Pentagram are at it since a lot of time so /gd/ credibility.
>>
>>277589
>Every once in a while, this market is renewed and so are its standards

Companies aren't changing their logos because they are renewing their standards though. They're changing their logos because "oh lookie, that other company changed their logo - WE SHOULD CHANGE OURS TOO!". It's weak and sad in general.
>>
>>277582

>Oh no, people are making their logos legible
A logo needs to be recognisable not just legible.
>>
>>277056
that's not good at all
>>
>>277623
And as bad as it is it's better than what Pentagram could muster, which is the point.
>>
>>276850
>Every one of these is an improvement though (although maybe not premiere league).

airbnb isn't.

The old logo made it clear that it was "air" "bnb" in seperate words, even as it put the letters so close they overlapped. The new one is airbnb and I don't know what that means.
>>
>>276926
>The delusions I'm talking about are Pentagram's or Bierut's or any other "celebrity" designer's. I have no problem with them taking absurd amounts of money for basic work from clients with too much disposable income, but they actually believe they're some world class revolutionary designers from doing so, present themselves as such, and everyone takes their word for it. You could call me jealous for not being in their position.

>Believing the personal brands by people who get paid to design personal brands

They don't think they're revolutionary, they think that if they CLAIM to be revolutionary, they will get much money.
>>
File: 1469445059891.jpg (92KB, 490x624px) Image search: [Google]
1469445059891.jpg
92KB, 490x624px
>>
>The digitization of commerce processes and increased connectivity of consumers is driving a digital transformation that will provide seamless payment choices. To reflect a readiness and optimism about this transformation, Mastercard is introducing an evolution of its brand identity - simplified, modernized and optimized for an increasingly digital world. The brand identity starts with a new brand mark, and plays out in a holistic design system that will bring a forward-thinking, sophisticated and inclusive brand expression to every touch point around the world.

>The evolved brand identity, including the most comprehensive brand design system ever introducedgloballywithin Mastercard, will berolled out toall Mastercard products, communications, and experiences, starting with Masterpasslater this month, and across Mastercard beginning in the fall.
>>
File: 3.png (252KB, 1020x291px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
252KB, 1020x291px
>>277600
yes that's a bit sad, but it's the way trends work and if you just want to make sommething pretty and not follow trends – or create new ones, lets be bold – you should have picked art instead of /gd/

>>277613
>recognisable not just legible
A logo needs to convey what the client needs to convey.
/gd/ can be summed up as appealing visuals + meaning, otherwise it's plain art. Not too long ago, it was still called 'commercial art'.
And I'll direct you to this anon's comment with which I agree: >>276850

>>277632
>airbnb isn't.
+ they used an existing 1975 logo, thinking nobody would notice
http://thehustle.co/airbnb-medium-beats-flipboard-logo
>>
>>277642
Medium's logo is much better than that one, they came up with the idea independently and have their process documented to prove it, and it's not that of an original idea in itself, it's going to be among the first variations of an M you'll arrive at. Same goes for beats. Very simple ideas.
>>
>>277584
some companies do it to get some media coverage or to tell "we have changed so much, look at us again! we are very different now!" it's no longer functionality but novelty, it's a miracle a company as new and successful as google kept his older identity for so long
>>
File: mastercard_cards.jpg (91KB, 1000x688px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_cards.jpg
91KB, 1000x688px
Sometimes I try to defend bland logo redesigns (even if they cost milions) because I am a sucker for simplicity and I do it by looking at the identity that comes with the logo, which is what brings a brand to life.

Unfortunately, this identity is weak and uninspired, but I still want to know what /gd/ thinks, so I'll be dumping some applications of the brand... coming through!
>>
File: mastercard_billboard.jpg (234KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_billboard.jpg
234KB, 1000x750px
>>
File: mastercard_brochures.jpg (102KB, 1000x658px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_brochures.jpg
102KB, 1000x658px
>>
File: mastercard_event.jpg (116KB, 1000x634px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_event.jpg
116KB, 1000x634px
>>
File: mastercard_masterpass.jpg (75KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_masterpass.jpg
75KB, 1000x750px
>>
File: mastercard_priceless.jpg (95KB, 1000x628px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_priceless.jpg
95KB, 1000x628px
>>
File: mastercard_website.jpg (112KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_website.jpg
112KB, 1000x750px
>>
File: mastercard_window_sign.jpg (323KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mastercard_window_sign.jpg
323KB, 1000x750px
And the brand presentation video:
https://youtu.be/KW4fLE6OyQk
>>
File: following.png (20KB, 356x120px) Image search: [Google]
following.png
20KB, 356x120px
>>277643
Although I like Medium's take and I agree with you on the fact that it's one of the first concepts that come to mind, I have to say I think it suits Metrocraft better. Their take of a 3d M represents the rolls of paper used to print magazines and such, so being a publishing company, it makes more sense.

The Beats one I get that it represents a headset so it makes more sense for them to use it than a city using a stylized b just because it was the current trend at the time.
But what does it tell us about the company?
'We steal old ideas to sell you cheap, celebrity-gloryfied, made-in-china products and we're not creative nor original'

Same goes for airbnb, I get that to them, it represents an A, aswell as a house maybe, and the shape in the middle reprensents the googlemaps locator icon so it's perfect.
But if I'm selling apples, I'm not gonna steal apple's logo just because it's suits me more.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.