[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be friend of mine >retake operating systems exam >first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: perfectlycalm.jpg (65KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
perfectlycalm.jpg
65KB, 1360x768px
>be friend of mine
>retake operating systems exam
>first question """sanity check""" is "How many bytes are there in 4k?"
>raise question, ask what the "k" represents
>professor clearly, unmistakably answers "kilobyte"
>write down "4000"
>flashforward
>right next to the professor as he marks the paper
>dinosaur, 100 year old prof sees 4000, stars shaking his head with much gravitas
>mumbles something about the education system, visibly gets upset and a little red in the face
>doesn't point the question, crosses it out violently

My friend went on and passed the exam, thankfully. Told me the story, told me he felt ashamed of his answer and that it was obviously 4096 etc.
I slapped him. I'm mad as fuck. 1 Kilogram is 1000 grams, 1 Kilometer is 1000 meters, 1 Kilosecond is 1000 seconds just as 1 Milisecond is the 1000th part of a second. We're not living in the US, btw. I can understand americlaps getting this wrong, they don't use the international system that much except for physics. But seriously, here?! How?! IT'S STANDARDIZED FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. S T A N D A R D. USE THE FUCKING BINARY UNIT OF MEASURE, USE THE KIBI THE MEBI IF YOU WANT POWERS OF 2.
>>
>>62457703
>How many bytes are there in 4 kilo
So the correct answer is none.
>>
kilo literally means "thousand". fucking binary autists.
>>
>>62457703

this is what you get for not switching to base 12.
>>
You are technically correct and autistically mad as fuck that you're not actually correct.

Welcome to /g/, you'll fit right in.
>>
The professor should be hanged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte

Just because most people get it wrong, don't make it right.
>>
>>62457881
Also the IEC standard is what speaks the truth.
>>
>>62457881
This is why I hate people that use 4K for UHD and 2K for QHD.
>>
>>62457878
He is correct on every level. Except that 4k has no bytes in it and is just a number, while 4kb would have 4000 bits and 4kB would have 4000 bytes.

Being wrong in some asshats eyes doesn't make you "actually" wrong.
>>
>>62457703
>retaking

How does it feel to have a mentally disabled friend?
>>
>>62457703
>USE THE FUCKING BINARY UNIT OF MEASURE, USE THE KIBI THE MEBI IF YOU WANT POWERS OF 2.
No.
>>
>>62457703
>in CS
>using powers of 1000
lol
>>
jokes on u /g/ my computer doesn't use binary
>>
>>62458061
The mentally disabled here, is the """professor""" if anyone.

If I was asked that question, I would reply accordingly, knowing they'll probably mark it wrong, then go to the defense with some book or reliable article (no, not Wikipedia) that clearly states that it is a matter of fact that 1 Kilobyte = 1000 bytes.

Measure units are not relative to any field, they are absolute.

And if he still wants to make a fool of himself even further and insist that the IEC standard is wrong, I don't get the point, too bad, but I wasn't a mindless sheep that didn't stand my ground.

If you are actually good it will not matter, you'll have enough points to pass the exam well anyway.
>>
There's 4000 bytes in 4096 bytes too though.
>>
>>62457703
Don't be retarded.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.