[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought pic related with a Xeon e5 1620 V2 for 200 bucks.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

I bought pic related with a Xeon e5 1620 V2 for 200 bucks. Did I do good /g/?
>>
File: 619557-001 (2).jpg (2MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
619557-001 (2).jpg
2MB, 3456x2304px
>>62456340
Not sure why they made the motherboard
like this:
>Contains lots of 'wet' electrolytic capacitors that tend to fail much faster than dry polymer electrolytic capacitors. Many motherboards of this era have phased this out. Only low end mobos with H61-H77 chipsets still used it at that time(~6-7 series mainstream chipset). I don't really see a any 8(and above) series motherboard still using this(except some boards for the audio).

>Contains lots of iron chokes. This is largely phased out during the ~5 series chipsets.

>Contains 'standing' D-PAK MOSFETs. They are already not efficient and powerful even as compared to LF-PAKS(which is just meh by today's standards), and using them 'stand-up' will further deprive them of cooling(eg from solder pad on the mobo), resulting in higher chances of premature failure.

>No VRM heatsink

The VRM itself is fine, with LF-PAKs (but only standard for today) and decent chokes. The solid 'polymer' caps for the VRM was pretty standard since back then. However most consumer-grade X79 motherboards, even those from Biostar(T-POWER X79) had full solid capacitors, no 'standing' D-PAK MOSFETs, and have substantial VRM heatsinks.
>>
>>62456340
It's decent. What's the rest of the specs?
>>
>>62456583
32GB DDR3 ECC Ram, Gtx 1050 ti (already owned), 256gb SSD
>>
>>62456678
Yeah, that's very good.
>>
File: DSC_0109.jpg (187KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0109.jpg
187KB, 1280x960px
>>62456542
>'wet' electrolytic capacitors

No problem there, OEMs in general use much higher quality capacitors than average gaymur motherboard. You'll rarely see IBM, HP, Lenovo die because of dry caps while it's almost guaranteed on everything built.

It's not big deal tho, I've already replaced caps on my asrock with cheap Chinese caps for total or $5 or so.

Pic related, server at work that is running 24/7 since '96, caps still good and there are lots of them.
>>
>>62458055
While they usually DO use good brands like Nippon-Chemicon/Nichicon capacitors, these brands also have ranges that fail prematurely. Example would be the KZG series, I had one of them on an Asus P8B75-M LE (the rest are something else, I think that cap might a replacement) and it is known to fail faster. It was rarely used however, so there was no failure on my side yet. Not all the caps on the motherboard will be using the good ranges either.

Also, more importantly, this is a workstation motherboard, yet it is using cheaper components than similar CONSUMER grade boards even from purportedly sub-par companies like Biostar and ECS--there is definitely something wrong here. The problem is not necessarily that the caps are bad itself, but instead that a computer meant for extra stability and reliability as compared to other configurations is using worse components than standard desktops. THAT'S the issue here.
>>
Yup. I've been looking at getting the same but with an E5 1620 V1 but they go for like £300 on Ebay.co.uk
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.