[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can servers tell which device is being used when different devices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_9310.jpg (452KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9310.jpg
452KB, 849x565px
Can servers tell which device is being used when different devices share the same wi-fi (i.e., IP address)? I don't want dumb shit my roommates post to be attributed to me just in case they post here, or whatever the case may be for other things they may do on the internet.
>>
yes usually by the browser identifier or w/e
>>
>>62445386
>browser identifier

Is that a unique ID or something, or is that just what browser you use? We could use the same browser.

I also don't want weirdos who post on here using their cell's 3G to have their posts attributed to me either. I don't post using my 3G much, but when I have, sometimes I see bans other people have gotten for posting loli shit or whatever.

I'm kinda paranoid about this, I guess.
>>
>>62445472
Yeah, a lot of browser fingerprinting relies on either unique IDs they give you (e.g., cookies) or that they determine from the environment (e.g., operating system, installed fonts, etc) Does 4chan use that shit? idk.

Also note that from an IP address point of view you and your roommates will be indistinguishable over IPv4 (because of NAT) but distinct over IPv6 (because your ISP will give you a whole prefix delegation, and the site will see two different IPv6 addresses from that range for two different machines, with no NAT in the way)
>>
>>62445368
Yes, they can tell, they can identify you with a fingerprint which is a combination of your OS and browser and other things. Check here for your fingerprint https://panopticlick.eff.org/ and use Firefox with Random Agent Spoofer and config from privacytools.io to hide it.

It is different story with your phone because your phone is already a huge botnet itself. But don't worry, your fingerprint will be different than your roommates if that is what you are worried about.
>>
>>62445472
>I also don't want weirdos who post on here using their cell's 3G to have their posts attributed to me either. I don't post using my 3G much, but when I have, sometimes I see bans other people have gotten for posting loli shit or whatever.
Depending on how you access 4chinks there is not much you can do about it.
For example, I'm in a big shared-IP block thingy and I get surprise banned very often.
>>
>>62445863
I never really use 3G at all to post, never using it when at all possible, so I don't care about the bans so much. I just don't want something tracked back to me somehow just in case someone posts CP or something like that.
>>
>>62445368
The 4chan Post ID's are generated by the I.P address you use to post with.
>>
>>62445368
At the network level, they can tell which computer based of which address the traffic is going to.
They can also get client information such as what kind of browser originally used because webdevs are retarded and they features were specific to browsers.
Now it is just used to track people for no reason.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.