[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Apple actually get into the gaming market? If so could you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Can Apple actually get into the gaming market? If so could you see them putting a high end GPU in a Pro before a Mac?
>>
>>62437616
>Can Apple actually get into the gaming market?
No, because they're more interested in maintaining their thin aesthetics.
>If so could you see them putting a high end GPU in a Pro before a Mac?
There have occasionally been iMacs with okay GPUs and the iMac Pro launching this year uses a 16GB AMD Vega GPU. Still doesn't make it a good gaming computer because the prices are obscene.

Mac gaming is also shit because Apple won't adopt Vulkan and hasn't updated OpenGL in years. Any Mac with a discrete GPU runs games better via Bootcamp.
>>
No, why would they try when casual gamers won't leave consoles and pc gamers have desktops? Apple makes pennies on desktops and no one who is "serious" will game on a laptop.
>>
This is exactly what they are doing with the support for EGPUs.

You can have excessively slim and have dedicated horsepower for gaymin
>>
>>62437706
Don't macbooks throttle to 800 MHz on both cores while on load?

That sounds like a huge bottleneck to me.
>>
>>62437714
All I have is my experience to go on. Using my EGPU on my macbook I was able to do graphically intensive things like Dishonored 2 on the highest graphical settings without any issues or lag.
>>
>>62437739
Proof?
>>
>>62437714
Load would be based on heat. As long as you keep heat down there wouldnt be an issue.

EGPU would keep heat down because you would not be using the inbuilt GPU.
Also the unibody aluminum turns the entire laptop into one huge heatsink
>>
>>62437616
>Can Apple actually get into the gaming market?
Applel's idea of gaming is crApp store games like farmville where they take a portion of all the microtransactions and you pay to treadmill. They have no interest in games that /g/ might play.

Plus, they just moved a bunch of programmers over from iOS to Mac so they can iPadify the Mac and finally put it out of its misery. The mac doesn't make enough money for Applel and they want all their systems in the walled garden.
>>
File: macfags_btfo.jpg (175KB, 988x802px) Image search: [Google]
macfags_btfo.jpg
175KB, 988x802px
>>62437751
Problem is CPU only work loads throttle both cores to 800 MHz already. Prime95 + furmark benchmarks actually cause macs to shut down.

Apple was so focused on getting the laptop to be so slim they forgot about cooling.
>>
>>62437742
I didn't care enough to do any screenshots. But just look on youtube, this is not a new concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlN7XCwDKnw

this one has benchmarks near the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN7prQBjRNc
>>
Nope because the whole apple cult is about aesthetics over performance. They don't care about making bulky gayming laptops as much as they care about promoting thin, light, Infantile aesthetics.

And since macos has a minuscule market share, most game devs don't think it's worth developing for macs, especially since their hardware is too weak for a great gaming experience.
>>
>>62437792
I'm curious why not just do a mini-ITX build for 1/4th the cost instead?
>>
>>62437785

Not my experience, but then again I got a quadcore.

Either way, this is once again based on heat, stick a laptop cooling pad underneath it and the problem goes away.

mine regularly hits 3.5 GHz when I am gaming, but then again that is while using throttlestop, and EGPU and a laptop cooling pad.
>>
>>62437811
No reason, I already had a macbook.

That would have been the more cost-effective and logical solution if one were expecting to go the EGPU route from the start
>>
>>62437846
Oh ok. Well sorry to hear that. I got conned into getting a laptop when I was in highschool and expected to be able to play games from today for some reason. I paid $1,000 for it and I'm still stuck with it. Shit fucking sucks man, it's just a high end i7 sandy bridge too.
>>
>Apple's all-in-one desktops are trash
>Apple's MacBooks are god-tier
what gives
>>
>>62437869
As long as you are able to slap an EGPU on it you should be able to have your cake and eat it too.
The only problem is an egpu enclosure will cost you $250-$400 and then the cost of the graphics card itself $400-$750 will easily put you in the realm of just buying a new damn computer
>>
>>62437616
Only if they decide to support the latest OpenGL releases and/or Vulkan. Either that or influence more developers on using metal 2. Past that, only marketing and networking with companies like valve is required.
>>
File: 1502768351185.jpg (334KB, 1750x960px) Image search: [Google]
1502768351185.jpg
334KB, 1750x960px
>>62437873
>>Apple's MacBooks are god-tier
>what gives
No, those are trash too. They look kinda nice. That's about it.
>>
>>62437896
>The only problem is an egpu enclosure will cost you $250-$400 and then the cost of the graphics card itself $400-$750 will easily put you in the realm of just buying a new damn computer
Fuck dude, maybe if high school education wasn't so dogshit we wouldn't be in this situation. In 10-12th grade they basically just taught us what a mouse was and how to make microsoft powerpoint presentations. Big fucking help that was.
>>
>>62437811
I don't really think anyone who runs an eGPU setup is running one because it's the best for games.
>>
>>62437951
sadly this

People make mistakes.
>>
>>62437905
I swear to God if I have to see that fucking image one more time I'm going to explode.
I don't care if you hate whatever products but for the love of Christ stop spamming that one specific image
>>
>>62438124
I watched that video before this pajeet started spamming shit, the guy who did it isn't even a techie and he did some dumb tests.
>>
isnt this their "gaming" mac

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/
>>
>>62437975
It's not really a mistake, it's convenience. I'd gladly take a good laptop+dock setup over a desktop because I really don't give a fuck about games performance as long as it's playable and I only play games occasionally, portability however is much more important.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.