[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/ I'm interested in learning to code to advance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170906_191633_01.png (772KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170906_191633_01.png
772KB, 1920x1080px
Hello /g/

I'm interested in learning to code to advance my career. I haven't taken a coding course since highschool and I was never particularly good at it. But I want to make more money and upgrade the prestige of some of the projects I work.

Anyway. I want to make a tool that combines two sets of data that only share first and last name in the data set.

An Excel sort doesn't work because the data in each line isn't exactly the same and one set has more names than another.

At the moment we have to do all of this but hand and takes forever.

Anyway. As I learn a little code I would like to eventually learn to make this type of program.

Can anyone give me some guidance on where to start? Where to focus my attention when learning?

Thanks!
>>
Bumb
>>
>>62435036
Sounds like python would probably be a good start for that since it's not too complicated. I'd suggest going to Udemy and buying a course there on python. They're having a sale for $12 on a lot of the developer ones. I'm getting a few so I thought I'd pass that along
>>
File: 1486841231674.jpg (110KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1486841231674.jpg
110KB, 960x960px
>>62435036
Just start with Python (I recommend using iPython, I wish I would've known about iPython earlier in my Python career). I personally would recommend going through this free online book (Python with Data Science), although it's a bit dry at times, you probably don't need the last chapter which deals with Machine Learning and maybe even pandas too: https://jakevdp.github.io/PythonDataScienceHandbook/

Basically, get good at using Python in general, learn to use iPython will save you lots of time and headache. Learn the numpy library and pandas as well if you want. Lots of other Python libraries out there and don't give up, you need to have the hunger for this type of stuff so force yourself to it. Good luck.
>>
not OP, but I'm basically in OP's boat. I'm 26 and have bachelor's in finance, but surprise! All the good analytical jobs require programming skills and data science skills. Too bad my Uni profs think Excel if formulas and pivot tables are the height of technology. seems like the only jobs open to me are pushing quicken mortgages on people who don't understand exponential growth.

How do I get into SQL? I feel like that's a pretty big deal. What about R?

I have some experience with python, and thanks for this:
>>62435383

idc how dry something is, I read Adam Smith and Tom Apostol for fun. hell I don't even know what fun is, I just want to make some goddamn money in an ethical way.
>>
>>62436321
>how do I get into SQL
>how do I get into R

by doing. You need experience, and you need it before someone employs you.

So think up a task that can be solved using those languages and do them.

Perhaps analyse public financial data. Gather, Parse and Write the data into your SQL database using python. Write some SQL to generate a report based on what you're putting into the DB, and write some R to generate a statistcal analyses of the data.

You could store the results of the statistical analyses back to your SQL database as well for more advanced reports.
>>
>>62435036
Alien must be from a world where they're more HI-DEF
>>
>>62436555
Sounds good.

is SQL like Access? is there a good metaphor for their similarities/differences?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.