[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/ Mechanical Engineering undergrad here. In cryptocurrency

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: thermoelectric generator.png (73KB, 285x307px) Image search: [Google]
thermoelectric generator.png
73KB, 285x307px
Hello /g/

Mechanical Engineering undergrad here.

In cryptocurrency mining using graphics cards or ASIC's, or even just in server rooms, waste heat seems to be a large untapped resource that could be used to reduce the power consumption of the components.

Using a small thermoelectric device, the temperature differential could be used to drive a voltage which could be used to produce a small amount of energy which the component could use, to even say reduce the power consumption by 1-5%, which for a 150W graphics card could turn into a substantial saving. Especially when the manufacture of the small thermoelectric device is fairly cheap (£5ish), whereas a new graphics card (say rx 580) is £200-300.

Do you guys think this idea could form a decent dissertation paper?

Cheers
>>
Everything you mention already exists, the only new thing you're proposing is applying it to a different use-case. So I don't think it would be very suitable for a dissertation.
>>
Not high enough delta t propably
>>
>>62424052
Pic related doesn't generate electricity ever moran.
lern to TEC.
>>
>>62424112
graphics cards can get up to 70-80'C while mining, vs ambient temp of say even 25 this wouldn't be enough?

>>62424119
sorry man, I literally just grabbed the first pic off google images
>>
>>62424052
not cost efective , too much theory behind it , the power you could obtain whould be negliglibe. if you want to gain something from the heat as energy savings go i whould try to heat something up with the dispersed heat of the room, like climate control.
>>
>>62424158
Heating whole houses with the heat rejected by servers is a thing already

>>62424147
just read a paper just for this reply
Apparently the current TEG-elements pushing out 0,1 microW per cm^2 at a delta of 25K, so covering up my hyper212evo and OCing my cpu to reach a delta of 50K would result in 192micro-watt output. The technology is good for high deltas and big areas, like the exhaust of a car with deltas of 500K and fuckhuge surfaces but not for the application you want to test them in.
Of course it's a good idea for a dissertation since you only have to show your scientific approach and don't have to invent something actually useful.
>MOM I need that 1080ti for my paper! It's for science I swear!
>>
>>62424646
thanks man, that info is really useful.

Could you perhaps link the paper?

much appreciated
>>
>>62425042
I could but I doubt you're fluent in german
>>
>>62425061
go for it my man
>>
>>62424052
You are a stupid engineer.
Attaching any sort of heat engine will completely kill the cooling efficency and yield fucking nothing output energy given that your room is like 300K and tge chips are 380K tops and you will have additional inefficiencies/losses.
>>
>>62424052
It would make the ASICs run even hotter. Not profitable in terms of component longevity.
>>
>>62425158
>>62425174
/thread
>>
>>62424147
>70-80'C while mining, vs ambient temp of say even 25
Theoretical heat engine efficiency depends on T(hot)/T(cold) in absolute Kelvin degrees.
That will be your yields with 100% heat engine or solid state heat element.
But real efficiency of the latter is probably measured in single digits while it introduces heat resistance to the cooling.
>>
>>62425158
>>62425174
Yeah, I completely get that. Even if it doesn't work, produces a really small yield, or reduces component longevity, couldn't the idea itself form the basis of a paper, and the negatives outlined and explained?

I just can't find anything on this specifically which leads me to believe there's an opportunity to be explored
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (15KB, 640x480px)
sddefault.jpg
15KB, 640x480px
>>62425239
>hello I have a dissertation on how heat recuperation from computers doesnt work and heres why

Think about something that runs actually hot, like a fucking furnace, sime sort of chemical reaction tanks, maybe even stuff like transformers, and try and calculate how much energy could you save on them and when would it pay for itself.
But AFAIK everything that is worth recuperating energy at is being recuperated already.

You know what?
Think about LARGE industrial air conditioners, the heat exchanger can get hot they use fuckloads of energy, you coul put something like a cooling tower on top of them, use it to accelerate convective flow like a nozzle to reduce power the fans on exchanger require and maybe even save a 0.1 energy efficiency.

Or i dunno go crazy and suggerst running a vortex engine on the heat from crypto miners lol.

Or maybe generating electricity in a car by a turbine working on hot exhaust gasses
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.