[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/ I have two options, work as an intern programmer or do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Hi /g/
I have two options, work as an intern programmer or do research in my university.
With internship I get money and real life experience, but with the research I won't be a codemonkey, and I will do challenging work.
I have no idea which one should I choose, I fear that if I choose the research I won't get a job as fast as I can with work experience.
Thanks for any advice
>>
Practice > Theory
>>
>>62404715

Well, it's always possible to go form University into economy, but not the other way aroud (unless you are a real awesome programmer).

That said, I think ecomnomy will teach you some things you won't learn at univeristy, because university is a bubble with it's own rules.

I think it would be best to dabble into both, if that is possible. Do some research for a while until you feel like you are good enough and then enter economy when they throw good money at you. But be aware that not all "research" is really interesting for companies:
If you do cryptoanalysis or big data and maybe even work in one/two open-sourch projects, companies will literally suck your sweaty balls if you work for them.
If you do theroretical work about the implications of a certain problem solving algorithm for knapsack, not so much.

But generally if you spend some time at the university you get much appreaciation in companies. Just don't let your software development skills drop, programm as much as you can.
>>
>>62404897
it's about indoor navigation for android based on wifi routers
>>
>>62404964

So would you use Java or other technologies?
I think if you have get experience with Java, it's a great choice.

Also: Do what is fun for you.
It's no good to trade fun for money.
>>
>>62405072
Yes, Java and other technologies, languages. It is a more practical research.

Short term hedonism has poisoned my life for 10 years, I prefer long term hedonism now
>>
>>62404715
It's easier to get in an accredited university than to find a job ina big company
>>
You get paid more if you work as a academic researcher and labassistant but you get paid more in the long term at a regular company because of work experience. Choice is yours.

Pro tip academic researcher earn 100k-130k or sometimes more if they innovate etc so if you're fine with that salary, don't bother working for companies.
>>
>>62404715
research in uni is fucking useless and does not help you get a job (unless you re going for phd). Go intern you might even get a offer. Let's be honest in your first 1 year at work you'll be a code monkey because big decent companies look at your software engineering degree and wipe it with their ass ( because its fucking useless other than teaching you the fundamentals)
>>
>>62405532
>>62405584

This is just not true.

I know some people who did the switch from academic research into companies, both times they were actually lured with good money.

Every idiot is smart enough to make a bunch of websites, but not many have the skills and determination to do research. Eventually you need working experience, but if you are a good programmer and have spent some time at universities you won't start as junior.

The only real downside I see is that companies usually hire more cheap noobs than expensive good developers. So the worst combination is someone with a very high degree (phd and upwards) with litte programming experience:
He will be expensive, but not that helpful for a company..
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.