[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nonprogrammerfag here. Have come to the conclusion that computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: asdf.jpg (233KB, 996x684px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
233KB, 996x684px
Nonprogrammerfag here.

Have come to the conclusion that computers are not helpful, they are essential, and am thinking of learning to program for real...

Here is a 1337 script I made that verifies an iso with a checksum file then copies it to a USB drive to give you an idea of my current level of programming ability (pretty 1337 compared to the average Windows/iPad fag I reckon, but still not enough):

md5sum -c ubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso.md5 && dd if=ubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=99M status=progress

I was wondering, how many programming languages does a typical professional programmer (or typical "dude who can program, but it's not their profession") know?

Can a typical programmer interpret the HTML code of a webpage? Is knowledge of Java/Javascript normal/common? Is knowledge of C common? Would seeking out to learn C since it's what's used to program Linux be intelligent, or would that be suicidal for someone starting to learn programming? Eg assume that I wouldn't lose interest because it's too hard, would I learn good programming habits etc from teaching myself C?

Any comments appreciated.
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>62402250
Once you learn one lanuage and the basic you just need to learn the new syntx/features usually. I'd recommend C or Java. HTML is a mark up lanauge, without knowing HTML you can interpret what most of it does.
>>
>>62402250
>ubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso
use mint. ubuntu's touchscreen interface is dogshit. you'll grow to hate it if you don't yet.
>learn C
sure, C is good and fun to learn. it's not used much anymore outside of low level development. most programming jobs available use Java, Javascript, or C++. Those are the relevant languages. If someone asked me I'd tell them to learn javascript first. It's what I learned first and it's super easy.

After you know some basic syntax and stuff like loops, variables, etc you can move onto Java or C++ and learn about Object Orientation.
>>
>>62402250
>I was wondering, how many programming languages does a typical professional programmer (or typical "dude who can program, but it's not their profession") know?
Somewhere like 5-15.
Once you learn a handful of languages, it becomes a lot easier to learn new ones though. Most programming languages are designed to be predictable and easy to learn, so picking up new languages on the fly is no problem for an experienced programmer.

>Can a typical programmer interpret the HTML code of a webpage?
Most of them are at least familiar with HTML, yes.

>Is knowledge of Java/Javascript normal/common?
Yes.

>Is knowledge of C common?
Yes.

>Would seeking out to learn C since it's what's used to program Linux be intelligent, or would that be suicidal for someone starting to learn programming?

I think Java would be a better language for a beginner. Learning C is always good since it doesn't really allow you to be lazy or take shortcuts. In other words, if you can do something in C, you can probably figure out how to do it in any other language.
>>
>>62402397
>Object Orientation
Terms /g/ comes with are so amusing.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.