[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supposedly there's a liquid in those copper covered tubes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Supposedly there's a liquid in those copper covered tubes that heats up, becomes a gas and then condenses in the top, spreading the heat around the sink, then it cools down, becomes a liquid again and the process repeats. I don't get how this still works when the whole heatsink is turned 90 degrees to the side and mounted on the board? Would the orientation of the heatsink matter?

Also, general heatsink thead.
>>
Last two that I cut open had a sand-like material.
>>
>>62356044
Its called a vapor chamber. They can explode (as was the case with some gpus in the past), effectivly becoming a handgrenade.
>>
http://celsiainc.com/blog-heat-pipes-and-vapor-chambers-whats-the-difference/

The more you know
>>
>>62356044
No. The system creates a heat pump, which drives pressure that moves linearly no matter which way it's oriented.
>>
>>62356232
Yeah but the direction is going to be affected by hotspots which are a partially a product of orientation.

So if you had it mounted horizontally and was the hottest core in the package heatpipes 5 and 6's up-side will be disproportionately hot which will cause a thermal cascade through the diffusion interface, effectively altering the performance and generating hotspots throughout the system.
>>
File: heatpipe-animation.gif (42KB, 612x317px) Image search: [Google]
heatpipe-animation.gif
42KB, 612x317px
>>62356044
I had the same question in mind. Then I learned that the internal bore of the heatpipes isn't smooth, but sponge like.

seems that the liquid medium can travel into this system by capillary action.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.