[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A brief history of Nvidia graphics and why they are fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 20

A brief history of Nvidia graphics and why they are fucking fanboys and gamers in the ass.

But please do continue to suck leather jacket man's dick Nvidia cucks.

P.S. The GTX 1080 is a 'mid range' GPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6TiSdKT0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1bp9eSfwo
>>
>>62336907
The reason why Nvidia has fans is because they innovate new technology, and use software optimization to make things run better, dispite always having less gpgpu and cores:apus than AMD.

https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworks-visualfx-overview
>>
>>62336977
>>62336982
>I'm too blinded and ignorant to listen to another persons opinion.

Time to learn your GPU history kiddo.
>>
>>62336982
I think you mean they basically buy market share through proprietary software that only runs well on their hardware.

And that even when AMD has the better card people still buy the nvidia solution due to years of mindshare
>>
>>62336907
>P.S. The GTX 1080 is a 'mid range' GPU.
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>62337054
>I'm too idiotic and dumb.
>>
>>62337033
GTX 1080 is GP x04 architecture. If you know your Nvidia history it has ALWAYS been a mid range GPU. Nvidia used to have huge performance increases of well over 60%

Now you will be lucky to get 30% with incremental cut versions (Titan Xp anyone?). For twice or thrice the cost.

But continue being buttfucked and not caring.

Watch and learn or don't and be a good little cuck.
>>
>>62337023
I know my GPU history; I've been alive longer than the concept of a GPU. Nvidia is providing a better service via working closely with developers, and innovating new optimizations for graphical applications. If GPGPU and raw flops were all that mattered, sure AMD is better, but it actually doesn't count for anything in 99% of use cases. Only bitcoin mining, and that's AMDs main consumer base. They clearly don't care about gamers.They've tried and tried again to switch over to more accellerated platforms, like OpenGL, Vulkan, but devs just aren't comfortable with doing that. Nobody who makes games is interested in switching from their comfort zones, and so AMD will always fail to get a good framerate.
>>
>>62337128
Damn, you dont see this level of retardation everyday.

I cant tell which group of people are the saltiest of the decade, Hillary supporters or AMDtards.
>>
>>62337223
Salty yes. But untruthful? No. Nvidia single handedly took the price of gaming GPU's from less than $300 to over $1000 in less than 18 years. They concentrate on money now than actual innovation.
>>
>>62336907
>Adored shill fishing for views.

BUT MUH AMD MASTERPLAN
>>
>>62337310
But it's working. For compute. AMD dominate consoles. AMD have just sold Vega to Apple and BAIDU etc.

Gamers are LOW priority now.
>>
My cards is all women

ASE
>>
>>62337344
>Gamer are low priority
Nice plan lmao, Nvidia bigger profits come from gaming.
>>
>>62337364
Doubt it. Nvidia have a large investment in Tesla etc. Gaming is chump change.
>>
>>62337404
Now that depends on your point of view. For some Vega is perfectly fine (Apple and Baidu seem to think so).

Gaming fags need to get a fucking clue. What's the matter? Scared you might have your opinion changed even just a little? Head in sand syndrome at its finest.
>>
>>62337490
>t. Brainlet
>>
File: chump change.png (85KB, 1155x648px) Image search: [Google]
chump change.png
85KB, 1155x648px
>>62337385
>Doubt it
You know Nvidia is a public company, right?
Financial statements are available to the public.
http://investor.nvidia.com/results.cfm
>>
>nvidia averages 30% perf uplift average per gen
>meanwhile amd averages 10%

wow who would have thought!!

fuck off retard. the whole 290(x)-390(x) rebrand fiasco has made me lose all faith in amd. not even going from r9 fury x to vega is more than the nvidia average.
>>
>>62337572
Don't care. Its your loss.
>>
>>62337591
This was used in the videos linked. He actually admires Nvidia for being great at making money. He also complemented the 980 series.
>>
>tfw you want a job at NVIDIA
>>
>>62337054
he's an official amd partner. they even feature his videos on their gaming evolved website forum thing. he also gets first dibs on all the latest gpu's like he was the first in the world to receive the vega 64 liquid edition straight from amd
>>
>>62337595
I agree. AMD lost on performance overall. But at least they are not shafting their customers every generation with $1000+ GPU's (at least until Vega FE came out that is).
>>
>>62337612
And you need to shill this shit here for what reason?
Reminder that not even Reddit Nvidia cares about this shit.
>>
>>62337633
Show me an Nvidia Youtuber explaining the history of ATI/AMD then. I'm waiting.
>>
>>62336907
The one and only reason is why Nvidia got so popular and successful is this: all gifted engineers left Silicon Graphics (SGI) in mid 90s and bit later. They managed to make a profitable GPU which competed with lot of expensive high end workstations at that time. And by accident Microsoft was involved buying Softimage and other highend software called Maya was ported to NT. This in combination marked new era and gained permanent footing for their GPU technology.
I don't know what to say what has happened after that, should there be more advances or not but that was the initial success for them back in the day.
>>
>>62336907
This entire video is just whining that NVidia shifted their marketing names around so that Titan is the highest end and not x80. Who fuckin' cares?
>>
>>62337291
>late 90's
>$300 GPU good for one year
>2017
>$200 GPU good for 5 years
>>
I don't care. Vega sucks and 580s cost a little less than a 1080ti right now, why the fuck would I bother? Retire the raj, he's killing amd
>>
>>62337660
That is because fanboys on both sides are retarded. The very fact that I cannot post these on either r/AMD or r/Nvidia shows how fucked up this entire AMD vs Intel/Nvidia bullshit really is.
>>
>>62337675
why would there even be one? nvidia users aren't the ones asshurt about being let down every other year.
>>
>>62337702

>shifted their marketing names around so that Titan is the highest end and not x80

You forgot about the markup and that they now dont bother to push the envelope.
>>
>>62337743

Why not, history is pretty interesting.
>>
>>62336907
Didn't watch whatever garbage video you linked, but I exclusively used ATI/AMD since the 9800 Pro up until a few years ago. I experienced more and more problems with RTG as time went on and I had to dump them; never had an issue with nVidia ever since switching. Anyone who buys AMD GPUs are cucks, simply put.
>>
>>62337735
Maybe the real reason why nobody wants to listen to this crap is because no one cares specially not coming from some butthurt AMD shill and don't fucking go around "he is not an AMD shill!!"
His whole career is literally about shilling AMD and now he needs to fucking bait for views.
>>
>>62337746
This is what we are trying to say. It's not that Nvidia don't make good products. They do. It's that they fleece us for it and feed the masses bullshit and the crux of it is that the idiots out there lap it all up. Nvidia have the BEST marketing team money can buy.
>>
>>62337591
>what are future investments
The Auto industry is going to explode.
>>
>>62337746
What markup? The $50 premium to buy a product that actually works? If AMD provided actual competition instead of playing catchup constantly we'd see far better innovation.
>>
>>62337746
>they now dont bother to push the envelope.

uhh? how about the STRONGEST AND POWER EFFICIENT GPU CURRENTLY AVAILABLE IN THE WORLD?

Notice that Volta-based DGX Systems are already being shipped out.
>>
>>62337793
AMD would be doing the same if they had the best products.
>>
File: 1484700163519.jpg (439KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484700163519.jpg
439KB, 1920x1080px
>>62337811
Too bad that market is owned by Nvidia already.

Nvidia is going dow as the company that managed to bring the skynet into reality, meanwhile, AMD is going down as literal housefires.
>>
>>62337816
Yeah, they're pushing the envelope of recticle size .. lol
>>
>>62337814

What, they're selling midrange cards for top of the range prices while top of the range prices are now 300+ dolars more expensive than what they were back in the day, and thats adjusting for inflation.
>>
>>62337816

What does a tesla chip have to do with gaming?
>>
>>62337770
nigga what? if i go out and buy a 1080 ti, i'm not going to start researching fucking gpu history am i? even in the video he said that everyone who buys gpus in general are not enthusiasts. he's a fucking retard anyway.

>when nv and ati were competing was the only time both released their best product
>" why nvidia aren't releasing their top end products!"
>"amd can't compete"
>"amd aren't relevant"

he said the answer himself. you think any company will do something to lose money when they don't have to. he acknowledges it on the one hand but then says the same retarded shit on the other.
>>
>>62337811
>Trying to school Nvidia about future investments
Bitch, one of the biggest risk a company has ever taken was from Nvidia and CUDA, if CUDA had failed Nvidia would have gone down.
>>
>>62336982
Why link to gameworks which is clearly middleware designed to fuck with the competition?

NVIDIA innovates both in technology and in anticompetitive behaviour. Legal anticompetitive behaviour, but legality isn't the decider of who I call a bunch of faggots.

NVIDIA are a bunch of faggots.
>>
>>62337897

That's pretty cooll and all but what does all you wrote have to do with making a summary about gpu history?
>>
Thanks for the warning. I will buy an nVidia card for sure.
>>
>>62337934

So rich gamers are snatching teslas left and right to get the utmost performance in their games?
>>
>>62337903
Software is cheap. They didn't start investing heavily in non consumer hardware until they had big revenue streams going already.

Woodscrews cost them more than starting off CUDA.
>>
>>62337923
You're not forced to use GameWorks features, those are to be used by Nvidia hardware, if you have an AMD GPU why are you even enabling those setting?
>>
>>62337941
and i said there's no incentive. only people being shafted (yes, amd users) every year with shit products and constantly being worse than the competition on average will care about all this history shit as they clearly take it personally.
>>
>>62337972
The fact that anticompetetive behaviour requires no coercion doesn't make it any less anticompetetive, faggot.
>>
>>62336907
AMD has fanboys too that keep saying that amd cards get better over time aka the "finewine" crap.

If you are smart you buy the card that's going to give you the best performance for the price and that isn't AMD right now.
>>
>>62338026
>waaah why won't Nvidia gimp themselves so AMD can compete?
>>
>>62337972
Because those 'features' should have no place in any games unless they work fine on both sides. They know that it makes the competition slower if enabled and it pushed onto devs. You don't see AMD pushing a fucking feature onto gaming devs. DX12 and Vulcan can be used effectively by BOTH teams so don't even pull that one out of your ass.
>>
>>62338026
The fact that you support a pathetic company like AMD doesn't makes you smart, faggot.
Tessellation is literally required to get certification for DirectX11
AMD has had since 2009 to improve their shit implementation.
>>
>>62338014

Again what does this all have to do with making a video about the history of the gpus of a specific brand? What makes it so wrong for you to make such a big deal out of it?
>>
>>62338062
>Because those 'features' should have no place in any games unless they work fine on both sides
So tell AMD to improve their hardware.
oh wait I forgot.
>hardware made by chinks
>software written by poos

What can you expect from AMD?
>>
>>62338051
They are not gimping themselves moron. They are adding a feature that is Nvidia specific knowing it will gimp AMD if enabled. It's a clever tactic because they know they cannot get called out by regulations over it because it's 'optional'.
>>
>>62337880
And whom is driving that price down?
>>
>>62338051
Source code availability doesn't gimp them, it just makes it harder for them to use software anticompetitively.

They have no obligation to not be anticompetitive of course, they are legally entitled to be a bunch of faggots.
>>
>>62337972
the way i see it is why buy a product when you know it's going to be shit? if you buy amd you know very well it's going to be a subpar experience due to stuff like gameworks and inferior drivers etc so just don't buy it.

99.9% of people who buy amd people who had ati/amd as their first gpu and they have brand loyalty based on using that company. it works the same for most companies. with amd users they're just stubborn to move to the superior experience, and damage control in forums and places like here in the echochamber as a result of buyers remorse.
>>
>>62338099
>They are adding a feature that is Nvidia specific
Why are you using those features if you don't own an Nvidia GPU?
You're not the target audience.
>>
>>62338129
because I'm mad that I bought a budget GPU
>>
i tried watching but the man can't fucking speak english
get out of here
>>
>>62338080

are you retarded? you asked why there isn't an nvidia youtuber making a history video and i clearly explained that there is no incentive for them to do one opposed to an amd youtuber who thinks he's being oppressed by >le nvidia overlords
>>
>nvidia cards can render triangles and do tessellation (a very big graphic feature) faster than amd cards
>why are games putting so many triangles and using tessellation, they should make their graphics more shitty so that amd cards can run them too
>this must be an anti competitive plot by nvidia

>amd releases a 300W space heater that has worst performance than a 150W 1 year old nvidia GPU.
>amd retards are buying it because of muh fine wine, they think in 2 years the amd card speed is going to double.
>>
>>62338167
He's Scottish and more 'British' (the native country for 'English' speakers) than you probably.
>>
>>62338179
That's not entirely true, NVIDIA was in the same position with 3Dfx for a while, but that is all water under the bridge now.
>>
>>62338110

Both of them are quite happy with where the prices are/are going and i'm pretty sure that was mentioned in the video.
>>
>>62338167
Englishman here. nobody likes the Scottish
>>
File: 1473716136153.jpg (133KB, 899x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473716136153.jpg
133KB, 899x1200px
>>62336907
What language does that shill speak? I can't understand shit. He speaks worse than a fucking pajeet.
>>
>>62338179

Why the fuck would you even need some form of Incentive the make a video about history. As I said on my original reply to you, history can just be Interesting.
>>
>>62338237
Better than that thick American drawl by a long shot.
>>
>>62338195
i still can't take people who shill for the r9 390 seriously. i remember everyone here saying how bad the 970 is even though performance was on par or slightly ahead of the 390 (more when oc). i nearly bought the 390 till i saw that it used nearly 650w total system load in many reviews compared to the 970 which maxed out at around 350w-400w total system power. it's crazy.
>>
>>62338250
The video kinda explains why we are in this state of fanboy culture today to some extent. But it really shows how Nvidia saw an opportunity to make more money whilst doing less (and who would not want to do that right?) It's weird how it turned out and it's sad that many people will shell out over $800 dollars for something that cost less than $500 only a few years ago.

Miners being the exception because they can all go to hell.
>>
>AdoredTV
Why do people still watch his videos? He's not even entertaining, hiss accent is annoying.
>>
>>62338250
>Why the fuck would you even need some form of Incentive the make a video about history.

is this some really shitty bait or are you serious? anything can be fucking interesting. does that mean i should go and make a video right now about how your mom dropped you off a 5 story building and as a result made you clinically retarded? neck yourself.

go and make your own fucking history videos since you love them so much
>>
>>62338305
Your accent is annoying cotton picker.
>>
>>62338266
fuck off mohammed.
>>
>>62338305
He is desperate and fishing for views, every time he cannot longer get views from shilling for AMD he releases a video about Nvidia and gives them some offhand praise.
>>
>>62338321

>anything can be fucking interesting. does that mean i should go and make a video right now about how your mom dropped you off a 5 story building and as a result made you clinically retarded?

Isn't that pretty much what youtube is? A bunch of random people doing whatever they want to, recording it and putting it on the internet?

I still don't see why you find it so much of an issue that a scott living in sweden decided to make a video about the history of one of the manufacturers gpus.
>>
File: average amdrone.png (524KB, 920x900px) Image search: [Google]
average amdrone.png
524KB, 920x900px
>>62337811
Yeah, and NVIDIA 100% owns that market already.

Good luck AMDrone, the poojeet has no idea what he's doing. Ever since he returned to AMD, it's been one failure after another from Radeon.

Honestly can't wait until Lisa sacks his dumbass.
>>
>>62338050
>release GPUs with shit gaming drivers
>have to wait two years to get advertised performance through driver updates
>FineWine™
>>
>>62338302

Saddest part is both of them are happy to fuck over their customers now that these higher prices are becoming the norm.
>>
>>62338373
he's already admitted he's some basement dweller living abroad in his """girlfriends"""" house with her few children. he's said in previous videos that he doesn't go out and he spends all night making youtube videos. if you see his build videos you can tell he barely sees the light of day outside because he's all yellow and shit.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6z4fku/adored_tv_a_history_of_nvidia_geforce_part_1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6z4es5/both_ramd_and_rnvidia_deleted_my_adoredtv_links/

Shill getting owned.
>>
>>62338385
i never had an issue with it. show me where i explicitly said i have a problem with adoredtv's history video. this whole conversation stemmed from me simply stating he's an amd partner >>62337633 which was in response to a post claiming he was a shill. you replied with some stupid comment saying "Show me an Nvidia Youtuber explaining the history of ATI/AMD then." to which i said why would there be?

you went off on some next one about how history is interesting and putting the implication that nvidia youtubers are bad (if they even exist) because they have't made a fucking history video.
>>
>>62338195
It's annoying how people whined about Nvidia encouraging tesselation since they were good at it, but praise AMD for trying to encourage compute and hardware-based scheduling just because they're good at it.
>>
>>62338425
No this just goes to show the fanboy culture at it's worst. Both sides are wrong here.
>>
>>62336907
Adored has gotta grow up
He's made what? like 5 anti-nvidia videos already?

What an autist
>>
>>62338425

I know 4chan talks shit about reddit constantly but I didn't know it was that bad.
>>
>>62338488
>complains about fanboys
>post literal shill

Come no buddy, adoretv made a career by shilling amd.
>>
>>62338400
>>62337903
>>62337863
I was just making an observation faggots, at no point did I voice my opinion on either company.
>>
>>62338425
>>62338506
He's essentially banned from both subreddits cause Adored genuinely is a moron who only serves to stir shit up
>>
>>62338506
and yet if someone made an anti amd video there will be a massive backlash. i still remember those two tech websites which got banned by amd from events and samples because they criticized amd for rebranding the 2xx series to the 3xx series which is perfectly acceptable. amd fans gave them so much hate over nothing.

criticizing and is like criticizing any jewish person even if it's not related to their religion. all the "b-b-but antisemitism !!" garbage which makes you look like an evil person
>>
>>62338512
Hey this is /g/. You lay the bait and wait for bites. I am not a fan of any company. If I can get good performance for the right money I will buy from them. Intel. AMD. Google. Microsoft. Even Apple (well maybe that is going a bit too far). ;)
>>
>>62338555
go suck some amd cock fagtron.
>>
>>62338531
I believe he posts what he thinks is the truth about all the tech companies. However it is inflammatory to the fans of each one of those companies so does play off as baiting and trolling in some peoples eyes. At least he does try to provide evidence to back up his opinions unlike most (JayzeTwoCents rants for instance).
>>
>>62338553
In my personal opinion I think all of these Anti-___ company videos are just fucking retarded
Imagine being such a massive fanboy that you make a two 26 minute videos (for maximum money) about a company you don't like

He's gotta fucking grow up
>>
>>62336982
Right because AMD didnt design gddr5 and hbm.
>>
>>62338476

Isn't your first post just an ad hominem by dismissing him without even considering what he was saying?

Also my first post was the one about history and by no means I intended to say that nvidia users are bad in any way.

I just don't see an Issue with someone making a video about the history of gpus, be it and amd shill, an nvidia shill or a neutral party. Calling out what he says on the video is reasonable but straight out dismissing him cause he's an amd partner is lazy imo.
>>
>>62338596
He tries to play the "Aih Half Noo alaygience toowahds aneh coompany, Aih soopart theh marhkeht" card but it literally fools nobody
Sony fanboy channels
Xbox fanboy channels
Nvidia fanboy channels
AMD fanboy channels
Intel fanboy channels

All gotta go
>>
>>62338615
>AMD
>Designed GDDR5 and HBM
>>
>>62337646
just get over it, those 1k cards dont even make a bulk of their sales you fucking retard. that would be their 60 and 70 family cards. If AMD was better they would be doing better. People aren't forced to buy any brand of CPU or GPU, people make those decisions themselves.

AMD fucked them selves with drivers and shit-tier performance and any cards that actually compete with nvidia required so much power they weren't even worth it. Then AMD had to rebrand themselves as the "poorfag" option just to be considered an option, and then Nvidia moved into that territory with 560 and 660 series cards and crushed AMD. Since the 500 series cards AMD remained irrelevant (they still had driver issues during this time. They finally managed to fix it but it was to late). Then Maxwell came out and it was the final fucking nail in the coffin. Shit, maxwell was such an amazing overclocker that vega cards can barely beat out a well overclocked 980Ti (https://youtu.be/igJWndksJpI). By then they couldn't recover the stuttering cluster fuck of a failure that was Faildozer - The supposed cpu that was going to crush the 2500k/2600k and couldnt even manage to beat intels 900 series cpus. Now ryzen and vega is here and guess what? Nvidia is buttfucking these idiots left and right and AMD has no options to compete.

Ryzen is a different story. Great cpu (finally) but we all know whats going to happen when CL comes out.

TL;DR

Poo in Loo products; Poo in Loo performance.
>>
>>62338630
Well r/Nvida reinstated it. r/AMD haven't. It's all a bit silly really. Reddit likes to pretend it is above places like here yet they succumb to the same shit.
>>
>>62338477
The difference is that NVIDIA's devrel has always had full access to game source code to optimize algorithms for their cards. There's usually more than one way to skin a cat, some more suited to one card over the other.
>>
>>62338630
how did i dismiss him? my post wasn't in relation to the video at all. like i already said it was related to the accusation that he was a shill, which was a general statement from the poster i was replying to.
>>
>>62336907
While I'm sure nvidia could put out a somewhat better dollar to performance card if they were in a dead heat race against another company with nearly equal technology and resources its not unreasonable that after more than two decades of building a product you're going to start seeing some diminishing returns on new developments.

Really complaining about the cost to value of high end graphics cards as a enthusiast is pretty silly, they're one of the most non-essential purchases someone can make in their life right up there with expensive watches and exotic cars.
>>
>>62336907
What would've been interesting is a price/performance comparison between NVidia's highest end consumer GPUs, adjusted for inflation. What we got instead was just some stupid crap.
>>
>>62337344
Uhh, advances in technology, play a pretty major role in determining this. This graph is pretty worthless.
>>
>>62338797
Sorry I named the file as price to performance. That is incorrect. It is just performance over the generations. But what has happened is that performance has slowed down whilst prices have increased a lot more in recent years.
>>
>>62338725

But the guy you first replied to wasn't even denying that he was a shill, more like he was just trolling the other guy that was Ignoring the shill aspect and you replied to this troll, reinforcing that adored is a shill.

Also, only discussing about the person instead of the idea, in a thread that's supposed to be about the idea sounds kinda dismissive to me.
>>
>>62337207
Lmao "working closely with developers" . do you work at nvidia or something? They pay developers to optimize games for their hardware to try and squash out any competition. Ignorance must be bliss huh
>>
>>62338898
so you're saying i can't boot up any game on my amd gpu? last time i checked, which was 5 minutes ago, i could. get your head out of this retarded youtubers ass.
>>
>>62337816
The only envelope they are pushing is the reticle size.
NVIDIA is about to go the way of SGI, and oh, it would be so painful.
>>
Get ready for Nvidia to go compute. They want some of that mining action.
>>
>>62338969
Look at project cars, a Fury X was as fast as a 970 in that title
>>
>>62339466
Crypto market is too volatile to be considered anything but joke right now.
But yes, nvidia needs to stop being suicidal, ML/DL chips are coming, and there's fuckton of them.
>>
>>62336907
And yet it came out over a year before AMD's enthusiast Vega 64 while still being a better, more efficient card. Truly sad times we live in.
>>
>>62339518
Better at gaming I agree with you. Compute tasks. Not so much. But gaming is everything right? Besides. The drivers are still broken. Typical AMD lack of resources. I am still hopeful they can fix them.
>>
>>62339518
Vega is not working properly yet.
You can trim it down to what, 2-2.5k shaders and it'll perform the same.
>>
>>62339542
>hopeful
They will fix, it's a question how fast.
Probably October.
>>
>>62339559
By then everybody will have lost interest anyhow. Same as the RX 480 even though it was nipping at the GTX 1060's heals a few months down the line. Unfortunately mining fucked up the value for money proposition just like it did with the 290 series.
>>
>>62339542
>But gaming is everything right?
Yes, yes it is for RX Vega and for GeForce.

>>62339551
It's even sadder that AMD cannot release a finished product while still being 1.5 years late.
>>
>>62339610
Well, it would take nVidia what, one more year to do what they did in Vega?
Generalizing non-compute shaders into single general purpose compute shader and writing dumb driver for it is one heck of a task.
>>62339609
AMD doesn't expect anyone buying RX Vega anyway. They have no mindshare to sell gaymen cards.
>>
>>62337128
>Nvidia used to have huge performance increases of well over 60%
Like going from Maxwell to Pascal?
>>
>>62339610
RTG although a branch of AMD are underfunded. AMD needs to make profit from Ryzen etc first. Maybe next year...cough.
>>
>>62339660
It's not a question of funding. They set the priorities straight, aka Radeon Pro goes first and who cares about the rest it won't sell anyway.
That's why both WX9100 and SSG will be all shiny and chrome on launch.
>>
>>62339643
Nvidia is pretty much just GPU's (not quite but mostly). AMD is too many hands in too many baskets. They are spread too thin. They do come up with good innovations on occasion though.
>>
>>62339643
>AMD doesn't expect anyone buying RX Vega anyway. They have no mindshare to sell gaymen cards.
Ah, must be why they're selling gaming cards, potentially at a loss too. It's because they don't actually want to sell them, brilliant!
>>
>>62339492
you're basing your whole argument on a single game which runs like trash on all platforms anyway?
>>
>>62339686
Almost every innovation in GPU was spearheaded by ATi (or AMD).
Even unified shaders.
>>62339696
You gotta do something with trashy bins. It's either sell them to manchildren or literally trash them.
>>
>>62339696
I have a feeling they are only doing that to avoid getting a backlash which would be an even worse PR nightmare than RX Vega is. Plus they can sell tons to miners anyhow.
>>
>>62339723
Miners won't touch Vega, Polaris cards or 1070 are still better at mining.
>>
But I want a detailed whitepaper on whatever AMD calls a "primitive shader".
And an API for them.
>>
>>62336907
Yes, that's why I have a 1080Ti.
>>
>>62337033
Except it is absolutely true. They chose to release the 1080 with a lower performance chip because amd didn't have anything to compete with more expensive ones. If amd hadn't been spinning on their dicks nvidia would of been forced to release an actual high end card.
>>
>>62339905
Well why would AMD waste money on rushing out competition to nVidia that is not going to sell? The last time Radeon sold well was what, X1950 times?
>>
I don't feel AMD wants to compete with Nvidia on gaming anyhow. They just look for niches in the market that they can eek out an income from.
>>
>>62339926
I take it pouting about the evil consumers who just won't buy AMD made you forget about how HD3000, HD4000, HD5000 and HD7000 were all much more successful than their current 'efforts' in the consumer GPU space. It turns out that when you release good products, people buy more of them than when you release bad products. It's quite a shocking revelation but it does seem to be true.
>>
>>62339949
That's exactly what they are doing right now. They are throwing dosh at Radeon Pro, because maybe, possibly, people will buy cards like SSG.
>>
>>62338506
Jewvidia gives lots of reasons to hate them.
>>
>>62339961
>much more successful
>never get past 44% marketshare with superior products at every pricepoint
?
That's not how "competition" meme is supposed to work.
>>
>>62337595
You mean the 290, 390, 480, 580, with almost no improvement between. Then we get vega which costs the same as a 1080ti but performs at best 30% better than a 290?
>>
>>62339982
The die size got smaller. So did power consumption.
Building a bigger GCN die is pointless since you still have only so many frontends to work with.
>>
>>62337207
Do you realize that all that matters is computing power right?
The more operation your hardware can carry the better, regardless of how much you work with developers.
>>
>>62340040
There's much more to GPU than simple shader math.
>>
>>62339979
Is their current market share 44%? No? How exactly are you confused about this? Was 44% not more successful than 20% or whatever the fuck they have now?
>inb4 b-b-b-buh they didn't beat NVIDIA it DOES NOT COUNT *pout* >:((
>>
>>62340166
>waaaah why did AMD stop competing I want my cheaper nVidia cards waaah
Time to eat shit, my friend.
>>
>>62340194
I had NVIDIA in the GeForce 8000 times. After that and up to Pascal I only had AMD. If I wanted to eat shit I'd buy more AMD graphics cards, since they've released nothing but shit and rebrands after R9 200. In order to avoid shit, I was forced to switch to NVIDIA. Perhaps AMD will give me the opportunity to own some of their graphics cards again in the future, when they make one which isn't shit.
>>
>>62340265
>lying on the internet
Oh wew.
>>
File: DSC_0036_crop_resize.jpg (1MB, 2341x1235px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0036_crop_resize.jpg
1MB, 2341x1235px
>>62340299
Here are my old 290Xs, along with my then-new 1080s. 1080s are still in use and it doesn't look like anything AMD-made will be replacing them any time soon. I might have some of my 5850s or 7970s too if you're really curious.

I'm sorry reality doesn't conform to your delusion.
>>
>>62340445
Oh, don't worry, you will never have a chance to own AMD GPU again.
It's a good thing. People wanted monopoly, now they will get the monopoly.
>>
>>62336907
>the nvidia *80 are mid range gpus
>nvidia is not giving you the full gpu
who the fuck cares? you buy gpus depending on the best price for your needed performance. Nobody cares if it's "mid range" or low end or whatever.

This guy is fucking retarded.
>>
>>62340523
AMD is doing excellent, all their GPUs are selling 100$+ above msrp and are out of stock.

You can thank miners for that.
>>
>>62340527
>Nobody cares if it's "mid range" or low end or whatever.
B-but muh full dies!
>>
>>62336907
Fuck off adoretard.
>>
>>62340551
AMD still gets the same amount of money per GPU. It's retailers and suppliers that profit on mining.
>>62340527
Selling 314mm^2 dies for over 600 burgers at launch is pure, unrelenting kikery.
>>
File: 1503643424310.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1503643424310.png
35KB, 625x626px
>>62337659
>>
>>62336907
JUST WAIT XD
>>
>>62340523
No, I think people wanted good graphics cards from AMD, but AMD instead released rebranded 300s, Fury, RX480 (290X performance 2 years later), rebranded 500s, took a break to let Pascal properly stretch its legs and settle in, then finally released (supposedly unfinished) Vega to get trounced by 1080Ti and fail to properly stand up to its year-old competition.

You can't blame people for a monopoly when AMD's main order of business has been disappointment for a solid few years in a row.
>>
>>62340445
You could make a killing mining monero with your cards. Or just sell them on ebay.
>>
>>62340581
AMD still profits because it means that they actually sell every gpu that they make.
>>
>>62340646
People don't want good AMD GPUs.
What people want is cheaper nVidia GPUs.
That's it.
>>
>>62340651
I've already sold my AMD cards and also royally fucked up in the crypto game.

>>62340683
You keep parroting that, but when AMD were selling better products they were also selling more of them, so reality clearly does not agree with whatever inferiority complex you've got going there.
>>
What does Adored really want? Titan Xp for 1080 price? 1080 for 1060 6 GB price? Come on now.
>>
>>62340265
You probably missed the rx 400/500s to be calling them rebrands lmfao, dumbass shill
>>
>>62340703
The only time they were actually selling more GPUs was the result of nVidia ROYALLY fucking up.
That's it.
Consumer GPU market is 98% mindshare, and Radeon lacks it since 2000 series times.
>>
>>62340721
Yes, RX580 is a totally different card than RX480 indeed, definitely not Polaris with tweaked clocks.

>>62340747
NVIDIA only royally fucked up with Fermi/GTX 400. HD3000 to HD7000 were all more successful than AMD's current position.
>>
>>62340791
And they still maintained 60% marketshare while ROYALLY fucking up.
That's not how "competition" meme works.
>>
>>62340523
retard

just because amd is failing hard compared to nvidia doesn't mean they'll go out of business.
>>
>>62340839
They are not failing hard, the Pro lineup is more than competitive.
They simply stopped focusing on consumer products first.
>>
>>62340713
The way GPU's were priced back in 2007 then yes they SHOULD be priced that way.
>>
>>62340852
Both R&D and manufacturing costs were lower back then.
>>
>>62340851
Why even bother when Nvidia has so much mindshare? If AMD had come out with a GPU 50% faster than a 1080Ti at same or lower price they would STILL not have sold as many. Steam is full of Nvidiatards who don't even know who AMD is (at least as far as GPU's go)!
>>
>>62340860
Not $500 lower. If anything things should be cheaper to make.
>>
>>62340885
You still have to provide token competition. And maybe someone will buy your cards? Sometimes that happens.
But yes, you need mindshare to win consumer GPU market.
>>
>>62340813
A single graphics card generation is pretty short lived, GTX 200 before Fermi were decent and GTX 500 largely fixed Fermi and were decent too. NVIDIA didn't fuck up for long enough to lose a dominant position after years and years of pretty good products beforehand. AMD has now been fucking up since R9 300, or perhaps even R9 200. They've been disappointing for a long time to reach the current place in the market, not for a single gen like NVIDIA.
>>
>>62340929
Nvidia's marketshare peaked at 82% late Maxwell you retard. Because Fiji was meh. And yet nvidia's marketshare barely moved with Fermi.
How?
>>
>>62340929
The 200 series was good. But miners fucked them over so everyone went to Nvidia.
>>
>>62340963
>Nvidia's marketshare peaked at 82% late Maxwell you retard.
Yes, how does that contradict anything I've said? You just thought it would be cool to throw it in or what?
>Because Fiji was meh
No, Fiji was pretty good against its initial competitor (Kepler). The rebrand failed against Maxwell.
>And yet nvidia's marketshare barely moved with Fermi.
Fermi was hot, hungry as fuck, expensive too, but at least it had the prestige of the performance crown and was significantly faster than GTX 200. HD5000 had a very strong value proposition and used much less power, but it did not have the absolute best performance.

AMD's rebranded R9 300s were in a much worse position against GTX 900 than GTX 400 were against HD5000. Maxwell did pretty much everything better and AMD's response was to do essentially nothing by re-releasing old cards. There was at the very least a reason to buy GTX 400 if you had HD4000 or GTX 200. There was no reason to buy R9 300, because if you had wanted Fiji you would have already bought R9 200 (as I did). By releasing the R9 300 rebrands AMD essentially made Maxwell into the only viable upgrade path, for the entire market. Of course their market share suffered worse than Fermi, which was shit in a lot of ways but at least had better performance.
>>
>>62337703
Ok what $200/200€ card is good for five years? I have a 4k tv so a 4k/60fps capable card, please
>>
>>62337833
>>62337816
>>62337934
>>62337972
>>62338051

So could someone tell me why is is that when nvidia's drivers recognize that they run on a virtualized guest they throw an error 43 tantrum and stop working?

That's why I as an enthusiast choose to buy amd. They dont gimp their drivers and jew out on virtualization. Fucking kikes
>>
>>62338089
You seem to be confusing hardware capability with software designed to run inefficiently on hardware capable of it.
This hearkens back to the days of intel compilers fucking over AMD chips
AMD gets fucked by shady competition that already HAS the lead. This is why I am team red on all fronts. Ryzen and threadripper have them back in the CPU game (based motherfucker Jim Keller) and eventually they will get it right the same way with GPUs, not that their GPUs are bad just nvidia usually has the edge (and then everyone finds out their 970s are gimped, but by the time 3.5 becomes an issue "anon just upgrade 4 gigs isn't enough today anyways")
>>
I waited and waited and waited for Vega and it sucks shit. I finally caved and got a 1080ti. Prior to that I had a 290 and dual furies. Don't blame me for AMD dropping the ball.
>>
>>62336907
The shill is back at it again. I thought he gave up on sucking AMD's cock with the failure of Vega.
>>
File: 1502709377455.png (470KB, 456x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502709377455.png
470KB, 456x600px
I fucking hate this ignorant, blissful AMD shilling on /g/. If they release turd (Vega) you fuckers start pretending that the hype was never there and that you weren't shitting up this board with plain speculation and fanboy threads. If they release something slightly underwhelming or somewhat competitive you cherrypick benches to death while crying about muh shills and muh bias every time a bench of an Nvidia optimized game shows up even though AMD literally does the same fucking shit to the point where it isn't even subtle - shills WERE BLATANTLY TOLD TO REVIEW AMD CARDS USING ASHES OF SINGULARITY FOR ALMOST A WHOLE FUCKING YEAR. A GAME THAT NEVER HAD 800 PLAYERS ONLINE WAS SHILLED TO DEATH just because its devs are in cahoots with AMD.
But when AMD releases something good once every 5 years (like Ryzen) you fucking brain dead niggers ride it to death claiming that it is the second coming of Jesus. Fuck you, fuck you to death /g/.
>>
>>62338305
fucking this. get someone to speak for you. even a robot voice would be better.
>>
i literally only bought a 1080 because it was $720aud shipped on special for a G1 tri fan oc and the 56/64 didnt have aftermarket coolers
>>
>>62342899
I told them about 1070 level performance. I told them bro
>>
>>62342920
You wasted your dollary-do's ya dumb bogan.
>>
Nvidia is using AI to optimize their hardware in ways that specifically make AMD cards perform poorly in AAA titles and even cause crashes knowing that devs will be using their tools.

The process is known internally as red donkey.

They don't need to make better hardware at this point, they only need to innovate just enough to make AMD's next generation work poorly.
>>
>>62342986
any proof of your conspiracy theory?
>>
>>62342986
>Nvidia is using AI to optimize their hardware in ways that specifically make AMD cards perform poorly in AAA titles and even cause crashes knowing that devs will be using their tools.
>The process is known internally as red donkey.
>They don't need to make better hardware at this point, they only need to innovate just enough to make AMD's next generation work poorly.

Yeah, makes sense
>>
>>62336907
>why they are fucking fanboys and gamers in the ass
THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA GAYMERS FINISHED AND AT LAST WILL LEAVE /G/
>>
>>62343013
>>62343020
If it wasn't obvious I was using satire to make fun of AMD apologists.
>>
>>62342925
Can it even be called 1070 level performance if it's twice the power draw?
>>
>>62343070
>>62342925
Retarded Nvidia shills.
It's a 1070 SLI performance and power draw with 105% SLI scaling.
>>
>>62343050
This from the fag with the lame moonrune trip.
>>
>>62343108
I'm literally using amd gpu and cpu, this doesn't change a fact that vega sucks and is already overpriced.
>>
>>62336907
FUCK YOU GAYMERS, I GLAD THAT NVIDIA FUCKS YOU, FUCK YOU FUCK OFF BACK TO /V/
>>
File: umissedit.jpg (12KB, 478x361px) Image search: [Google]
umissedit.jpg
12KB, 478x361px
>>
>>62343113
If you are insecure enough to care about something like that your opinion doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>62343166
Far from insecure, just pointing out what everyone else is thinking, that you're a jap wannabe, hentai watching, weeaboo manchild.
>>
File: dawn322012072315491107oq8m.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
dawn322012072315491107oq8m.png
2MB, 1600x900px
Disregard fanboys
post fairies
>>
>>62338528
Trying to explain to people that stating an observation and expressing your opinion are completely different things is impossible.

Bernie Sanders was never going to get elected and wasting money on his campaign was useless, I tried to explain this to my friends because
>Wahh we're broke
>We have to work so hard to get by
>Bernie promises free money for everyone!
I was labelled a Trump shill and a racism apologist and all this stuff, I never expressed my opinion that while Bernie is a nice guy who (maybe) means well, his approach is dumb as fuck so I can't stand for him. I can stand for his message, but not the man or his would-be cabinet or the people supporting him.

Again, trying to explain that a fact =/= the opinion of the person saying the fact is impossible. Because people are taught to be stupid, and since the majority are stupid, the ones whom can reason with you stay silent.
>>
>>62343321
back to /pol/ moron.
>>
>>62338678
The 7xxx series first-gen GCN lit a fire under Nvidia's ass and you'd be blind to not see it.
Although AMD stuck with the GCN paradigm for gaming for far, far, far too long, it was originally everything they needed. Fuck's sake the 7970Ghz is still quite usable on 1080p, back in '12 it was what you had to have for 1440p.

Nvidia really began fucking around with tessellation and GameWorks as a response to the 7000 series.
>>
>>62343352
get a trip so I can block you, moran
>>
>>62336907
ATi >>> Nvidia >>>>>>>>> AMD
>>
>>62337811
>The Auto industry is going to explode.
Yep, that's why the fed gov had to bail out a bunch of car makers during the GFC, and since then, those same carmakers are struggling to turn profit.
>>
File: buttfuck.png (57KB, 343x173px) Image search: [Google]
buttfuck.png
57KB, 343x173px
>>62343359
GPUs are designed on a 3-4 year cycle, Maxwell was on the drawing board when it was the HD6's vs the GTX5's.

Hawaii was planned before the HD5's even launched.
>>
>>62337591

It is no fucking surprise that if you sell a mid-range GPU for high-end prices you will be raking in cash. Nvidia sold most of their 1080s as FE in the first months, at an exorbitant $700. That's $700 for a 314mm2 GPU, which is smaller than a 970 (around $350 launch price).

They own the market, I already bought my lube and slowly warming it up for when Volta launches - a GV106 in an x80 GPU for $599. You know it's coming.
>>
>>62336907
About fucking time you fuckers shared a video worth looking at, jesus fuck it took a while to catch this.
>>
>>62346615
don't use the lord's name in vain please
>>
>>62336907
>fucking fanboys and gamers in the ass
Good.
There's no nvidia in my country.
Only AMD.
>>
>>62342925
Kill yourself.
>>
What this video, and this thread, have basically proved is that even if AMD released a consumer card that was literally the second coming, nobody would buy it.
Gaymers and "PC enthusiasts" only want GeForce. Radeon doesn't even register to them.
>>
>>62336907
THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA, GAYMERS BTFO
>>
ITT gaymers imply they have any impact on the manunfacturing decisions.

I'ts us, miners.
Now go back to playing your child games.
>>
I like this guy's videos. Mostly because they're very different and in-depth from what most tech YT channels do these days, which is low-effort click bait and "reviews".
That said he makes a lot of assumptions and even contradicts himself on some points in his own video.
Saying that if nVidia had better competition they would put out better priced cards is not some amazing insight that has been held from the "unwashed dirty masses". It's true for any business everywhere.
Still, I personally appreciate his work and I've learned something new watching these videos which is more that one can hope to get from a guy with a youtube channel. He obviously put a lot of time in doing research for these videos.
>>
The solution to this is to keep buying nVidia cards yourself (as it's obviously the better product) but start recommending AMD cards to your friends.

>Dude the new VEGA cards are gonna be shittin' on 1080ti when they fix the drivers/dx12/optimizegames/consoles haveamdgpusnow
>>
It's weird how just looking at the tech demos it felt like they were going back on some generation passes.
The FX series and 8800 were the shit.

Goes to show, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it. Unless it's really big and then you can just pretty much do whatever you want.
>>
>>62347863
>FX Series
WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZ39nQ_k90

This and Fermi were times where ATi/AMD got the upper hand.
>>
>>62347900

I was talking about tech demos.
>>
>>62347745
>miners
Lol no. Workstations are and will always be king. Your little fight-the-power pyramid scheme won't last in its current state
>>
File: FermiTitle.jpg (320KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
FermiTitle.jpg
320KB, 640x457px
>>62347928
Yeah, the techdemos were the shit, I have to admit. The 5200 FX was also a sweet budget card too. Still, at least NVIDIA was aware of their own shit at the time. During the Fermi days, we at /g/ had to make the memes, and they were actively trying to cover their own shit.
>>
I'm probably part of the problem
I went
GF2 > 6600 > 8800 > 560Ti

And about to upgrade again this year or the next.
I've never felt compelled to get an Ati card. I did own an Athlon CPU back in the day but I guess everyone did. Ryzens looked good too until coffee lake got announced. Sorry AMD.
>>
>>62347959
You skipped the shit generations of NVIDIA cards though. Remember back in the day AMD motherboards had nForce chips. Imagine if AMD had bought NVIDIA instead of ATi...
>>
>>62345554
Maxwell was also a delayfest.
>>62347975
AMD would be dead in 2010.
All hail HUEG dies!
>>
>>62345554
I didnt say anything about design cycles or product releases, only that Gameworks was essentially a response to AMD, consoles, etc.

>design cycles take x time
You're right, and the industry knew consoles would be AMD powered for quite a while.
>>
>>62340900
Small and more complex process and drivers cost money. It's not a linear scale.
>>
File: 5ca.jpg (260KB, 570x558px) Image search: [Google]
5ca.jpg
260KB, 570x558px
>>62342986
>>
>>62337223
Just because you're content with mediocrity doesn't mean the rest of us should accept any less than Nvidias best efforts.
>>
>>62347806
I like that he is objective, despite what the memers here say. He's mostly heavily negative, but shows facts.
>>
>>62336907
Don't likethis type of "history". They are nothing more then what you can read on wikipedia. A total waste of time for both the audience and the youtuber.
>>
>>62342545
Go get a job and stop whining neet autist
T. Different
>>
>>62348721
Your post confirms you didn't watch it.
>>
>>62337128
The jump from Maxwell -> Pascal is the biggest jump in performance per generation nvidia has had yet.

>>62342545
4K is still quite a niche market and quite a bit away from being standard for PC gaming. With the rise of higher refresh rates, I see the push for 4K gaming being delayed even longer than usual.

I mean, shit. 1080p took quite a while to catch up to too.
>>
>>62336907
Oh wow, cucks crying about unfair competition, when it literally doesn't matter.
All that matters is the performance you get at the end of the day, moralfags should fuck off to reddit.
>>
>>62349584
>The jump from Maxwell -> Pascal is the biggest jump in performance per generation nvidia has had yet.
what is the 8800gtx
>>
>>62338273
I had a 390x for 2 years it blew up my 850watt pay and required 750watt minimum

Absolutely stupid
>>
>>62339905
midrange high end and low end is what price decides, if you love to buy weak gpus for $400 continue to support nvidia
>>
>>62349700
write this in english please, I do not understand you
>>
>>62349738
Fucking phone I meant to type PSU instead of pay

But yeah it's stupid my 1080 literally never goes over 180w at @2ghz stock oc boost and it was significantly cheaper than Vega which still don't have decent aib cooler options a month after launch.

So glad and canned 14nm I'll sell my 1600x on and get a 5ghz ryzen and volta in 2019
>>
>>62336907
>nvidia is bad guys
Only good gpu amd made in last 10years was 290x.
>Kepler aged bad
Depends on games some games 780ti is as fast or faster than 290x.
>the way you ment to be played
AMD literally sells same performance gpus for same price as nvidia. And expects 100% performance increase each generation, those days are over.
>>
>>62337291
i bought 670gtx like 5years ago, and it still do most games 1080p/60 at mid settings.
Old generation gpus literally lasted 2years and then sucked huge ass and be useless.
Thats why price change.
>>
>>62349615
it does matter
radeon is shit because they cant compete and now nvidia is shit because they dont have to compete
>>
ATI- another tremendous innovation
AMD- another massive disappointment
RTG - raja's technical gentlemen

things are looking up guys.
>>
>>62349988
it's a spiral, nvidia had 10 years of shit, now they have their 10 years of quality products
AMD ending it's 10 years with vega, which is untapped goldmine for now
and then there is navi which might change what GPus are entirely or not

Volta looks like maxwell 3 again, so nvidia tapping out their arch and need something new which costs time.
>>
>>62342545
Not him but the HD 7870 was good for nearly 5 years, considering the RX 460 is now its equivalent.
>>

nice bait
>>
>>62350015
ATi hasn't done anything technologically relevant in the gaming sector since back in the day when they tried to pawn off OpenGL tesselation as a proprietary directx feature.
>>
>>62340581
If you care about die size over performance you are retarded.
>>
>>62340646
No, not at all.
If that was true it would be nvidia that is the small time player.
People didn't care that ati made three times as good gpus in the past. They won't ever care.
What wins is marketing and marketing alone.
>>
AYYMD HOUSEFIRES
>>
File: pepeSWEAT.jpg (9KB, 159x151px) Image search: [Google]
pepeSWEAT.jpg
9KB, 159x151px
Im looking to build a new PC and ive got my eye on the GTX 1080 gaming X 8gb.

But this "NVIDIA Volta GPUs With GDDR6 Memory Coming Early 2018" headline has gotten me worried.

Am i being a retard or is this a legitimate headline and concern?
>>
>>62350449
And retarded tripshit does it again!
>>
>>62350776
They can release it anytime, they just haven't since AMD has nothing to compete with their 1080Ti. So early 2018 can mean anything. Also 1080 is like the only non-low end GPU that doesn't have inflated prices so it's not a bad buy now.
>>
>>62350609
t. Jensen
>>
>>62350803
>responding
>>
File: comparison.png (15KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
15KB, 1024x768px
Hey guys, I'm new to graphics card technology.

Is this diagram accurate?
>>
>>62351001
AMD isn't that much cheaper, if at all.
Seems reasonably accurate broadly speaking though.
>>
>>62350015
RTG - Raja Toilet Gallery
>>
File: 1505062912237.png (17KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1505062912237.png
17KB, 1024x768px
>>62351001
Because of cryptocurrency mining, there is no price:performance argument for AMD any more
>>
>>62351059
>>62351132
I see, thanks
>>
>>62349584
>buggest jump yet
Holy shit retard, that's why hot should watch the damn video.
>>
>>62349584
>The jump from Maxwell -> Pascal is the biggest jump in performance per generation nvidia has had yet.
1. No it's not. Not even close.
2. It's only a decent sized improvement if you're comparing reference Maxwell cards. They cut down and underclocked Maxwell because it was so good. Comparing other non reference 'overclocked' Maxwell cards to Pascal and the jump is only around 30-40% improvement.
>>
File: Linus-Nvidia.png (63KB, 400x210px) Image search: [Google]
Linus-Nvidia.png
63KB, 400x210px
Friendly reminder that Nvidia is the only GPU company that doesn't support open-source drivers for ganoo/linux.
>>
>>62351389
And AMD's open-sores drivers got bretty fucking good.
>>
>>62351389
But their proprietary drivers work better than AMD's open source and closed source drivers

>>62351411
Only took them a decade
>>
>>62337028
Apparently Nvidia have employed similar shady doings with OEMs that Intel, but less people care because GPUs
>>
>>62351431
Also Intel's open source drivers are trash, I got screen tearing out the ass and couldn't find any solution that worked, while on Nvidia it's fairly easy to solve screen tearing. (Although the fact that screen tearing is even an issue on Linux still when Microsoft and Apple solved it over a decade ago is embarrassing.)
>>
>>62349926
>>nvidia is bad
Literally never said that. Also the 4000 and 5000 series was in the last 10 years.
You didn't get the whole point of the video by the way. His argument is that nvidia sold the full gpu as the flagship back then, and now they sell the mid range (x04) for the same price. If you got the p6000 as the desktop gaming gpu then you could have 100% performance increase even now between generations.
>>
>>62351431
>>62351587

I believe Nvidia's strategy here is to make the proprietary linux driver work just well enough to render any effort for a truly open driver a pointless endeavour. That way they can keep their driver locked up and very few people will complain because it just werks.

Btw the tearing is likely related to Mesa, i've had things like badly compiling shaders suddenly work after updating to 17.3.0
>>
>>62351647
they cant sell full gpus for 500$ anymore, his argument is retarded.
Just check how oldschool gpus were built and how now gpu's look, they use bigger heatsinks bigger, faster, better fans, better components on boards themselfs, not to mention first gen 16nm will cost more in its first generation. If nvidia sold full titans xp dies as x80 for 500$, they would be losing money just like amd is losing money now with vega.
>>
>>62351785
Sure. Except they sell it for more and cut down the die. Now tell me how 3000 dollar for a p6000 is justified by manufacturing costs.
>>
>>62351880
>p6000
QUADRO CARDS ALWAYS COST FUCKLOAD MORE THAN CONSUMER CARDS YOU IGNORANT FUCK
>>
>>62351980
So where is my full desktop die?
>>
>>62349193
I actually make quite good living in the yurup, six figures. I just dont like spending it on stupid shit

I bought an R9 nano when it came out but its not really adequate for 4k
>>
>>62352004
titan xp has same amount of course as p6000
>>
>>62347666
/thread
>>
>>62352046
>1080 for 600$ as the high end gaming card
>Titan x for 1200 a half year later as the newer high end gaming card
>1080ti a quarter year later for 700$ as a newerer high end gaming card
>Titan Xp two months later for 1200$ as a newererest high end gaming card
>this is totally fine and should be encouraged
>>
>>62352278
vega 64 for 750$ 1 year later same performance as 1080
>>
File: FUCKING-GOALPOSTS.gif (665KB, 574x410px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING-GOALPOSTS.gif
665KB, 574x410px
>>62352299
>>
>>62352278
>>62352335
Vega FE 1800$
>>
>>62352349
>moving the goalposts
>>
>>62352377
titan xp is full die, of 3840cores it cost 1200$
>>
>>62352349
>>62352299
How is that relevant to the topic? At least the Vega is a full gpu. And the performance or the "goodness" is not what we talk about. Yes the Vega is a shit. Yes the Pascal it's it good. The argument is that 12 year ago you bought the high end gaming card from nvidia and you got the full gpu for a high end price. Now you get a heavily cut down mid range gpu for a high end price, then you can buy an even better and more expensive one a few months later, then another one, and you might not even get the full gpu ever.
>>
I haven't followed video card development for awhile, but from what I've seen it's the best cards from nVidia that gets overpriced to hell(xx80, Titan). It really wasn't any different from before even when AMD has comparable flagship performers(6990, 7990, 295x2). If it wasn't for the mining craze the GTX 1070 would be selling for less than $400. How was that any different from 570 or the 670?
>>
>>62337033

But it is because of the x04 chip.

The x00 is top of the line and the x02 is a high end.

And we got that with

1080ti
Titan Xp
Tesla.

Mid range.
>>
>>62352531
titan xp is full gpu for 1200$, full vega is 1200$, so what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>62337595

What fiasco you imbecile? They rebranded one of the best architectures ever made. So what?
>>
>>62352625
>>62352531
GP100 has same amount of cores as GP102 you dumb fucks, yes same amount of 3840 cores. 3840 is literally full die, yes titan xp is complete high end, that will ever be for pascal, yes its full card
>>
>>62337033
So, you read everything he wrote.
>>
>>62352552
Because the 1080/1070 aren't comparable to what the 480/470 were.
The x80 was the best single GPU they had to offer. It was a highend card, at a pretty high price. The 1080 isn't the best single GPU they have to offer, it's cut down, yet it's still the same price. A 1080ti is equivalent to the old x80 series, and now we have to wait nearly a year extra for it while they release "actually a mid-range GPU marketed as a highend x80" and "this is the actual real highend, gib $1000 pls".
>>
>>62337207
>innovating new optimizations for graphical applications
e.g. subpixel tessalation
>>
File: dalai-lama-laugh.jpg (35KB, 483x322px) Image search: [Google]
dalai-lama-laugh.jpg
35KB, 483x322px
Nvidia is curing cancer and helping create AI waifus. Poor fags need to gtfo.
>>
>>62352627
Full Vega is $499.
>>
>>62352667
>adoredtv
>"its ok to rebrand a literal housefire tier gpu into a Korean nuke tier gpu"
>"abloo abloo Pascal is bad because Maxwell """rebrand""

AMD literally banned media sources because there was a massive uproar about the rebrand when everyone expected more. The r9 390 alone used as much power as a fucking 980 ti under load.

t. Ex 390 owner
>>
>>62352732
yes nvidia has been using there position as market leader to make some nice dosh, but they produce quality cards and gives nice jump in performance each generation. If AMD was in same position, they would do exactly the same.

Also remember they cant price highend the same price as "in the old days" do to inflation and general gpus boards/cooling engineering.

If amd wasnt slacking i expect nvidia could sell titan xp for something like 899$.
>>
>>62352827
cheapest vega64 is 750euros in my country
>>
>>62352833
Yes, 899 not 1200. And you still get the full gpu almost a year later for a much higher price that's not justified by pcb parts. Why is it so hard to understand? Back then nvidia released their full gpu first, for an appropriate price. Now they release a mid range one for a similar price and I'd be surprised if you could get the full gpu next gen. Remember how they pissed off the professional buyers with that driver update on the xp.
>>
>>62352908
if amd could they would have released polaris for 600$ as high end. it all depends on market position.
>>
I don't get why people even complain about Pascal being a rebrand. Isn't it like 50% faster than Maxwell? That's got to be the single best rebrand in history.
>>
>>62352833
>technological stagnation and price gouging is ok because whataboutism and there's no competition
And these price hikes aren't even close to being inline with inflation. They post the prices of old cards with inflation in the video btw.
>and general gpus boards/cooling engineering.
>fans an heat pipes cost $400 to make
>>
>>62352957
It's only a decent sized improvement if you're comparing reference Maxwell cards. They cut down and underclocked Maxwell because it was so good. Comparing other non reference 'overclocked' Maxwell cards to Pascal and the jump is only around 30% improvement.
>>
>>62352957
From 980 to 1080 it's about 70% but the 1080 did initially cost like $100 more but now it's about the same price as the 980 was. He tried to make some retarded argument about how Nvidia purposely clocked Maxwell low so they could just ramp up the OC for Pascal later on and his point is that everyone who bought Maxwell got robbed somehow.

If these allegedly low clocked gpu's still btfo all of amds offerings from the same year which also used like 50% more power (e.g. 970/390, 980/390x, fury x/980 ti) then what does that make AMD? Surely AMD are the real "robbers" in this case, No?
>>
>>62353046
>that everyone who bought Maxwell got robbed somehow.
You could really only make that argument if you bought a reference card really. It was never really a secret that 970's were absolute monsters at overclocking, not sure how anyone who bought one got robbed of anything but the VRAM.
>>
>>62352349
FE is $850 here. Sucks to live in US.
>>
>>62352940
Why are you so sure about that? And why do you try to reason with something that is merely an assumption? We are talking about facts here.
>>
ITT: People who didn't watch the video so they just LARP about random shit.
>>
>>62353241
because amd literally prices it gpus at same price/perfor as nvidia.
So if there was no 1080ti and 1080 costed 750$, you could expect vega 64 ref price being 699 instead 499(even though you cant really buy it for that anyway).
>>
>>62353140
Even the reference clocked cards were good (assuming you didn't get a shitty blower cooler). Gpu boost 2.0 still made these stock clocked cards highly competitive with the hotter and power hungry AMD competition cards. Take DF's 970 for example. They had a zotac dual fan one which was one of the cheapest you could buy and it only came with a 20mhz OC from the factory compared to their, and I'm quoting DF here, "monstrous" Asus strix r9 390 which had a 50mhz OC iirc which was pretty beefy as a factory OC for that gpu. The 970 still competed well at near stock. His argument is complete garbage.
>>
>>62353301
>more whataboutism
Just because one is shit doesn't excuse the other.
>>
>>62353301
>anon exists in multiple realities so he can tell what ifs accurately
>due to this he also misquotes because in the other universe it was the other post
>>
>>62353330
Do you understand that what we talk about is nvidia pricing their products higher than what they should be because no competition? What you defend is that it's okay to jack up prices if the rival company is lacking. Either you are part of nvidia or you hate yourself a bit too much.
>>
>>62352828
>t. Ex 390 owner

same. fucking trash heap of a gpu especially around crimson time. i actually spent more on the 390 than the 970 i was looking at because i thought it was faster based on jayztwocents video where he overclocked it to like 1.2ghz. mine wouldn't even get to 1.08 ghz and it was the same expensive model too. not falling for the amd meme again.
>>
>>62353596
Youtube reviewers always get golden samples. Literally every reviewer says the non-X Ryzen's will overclock to about the same clockspeed as the X Ryzen's, however that's not exactly true when you look at retail samples. The 1600 and 1700 will have a hard time hitting above 3.9, even the 1600X isn't guaranteed to hit 4.0. The 1200 and 1400 meanwhile don't stand a chance, most can only hit 3.8 if they're really lucky.

Same with the 7700K, I hate how every reviewer tests it at 5.0GHz despite most not being able to hit that without great aftermarket cooling.
>>
No one cares about your Nvidia hate videos, Adoredshill
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.