[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>why are you reading that old book, anon? XD Programmers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: cover.jpg (51KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
51KB, 400x579px
>why are you reading that old book, anon? XD

Programmers are cancer. If you don't have respect for the knowledge that your field rests on, then go do something else. I'm tired of fucking normals who only care about money invading computer science.
>>
Literally no one cares about what book you're reading, faggot
>>
>>62335439
money is lifeblood of the living
>>
Please. Most of the ideas present in that book are pretty much mainstream now. Features of Scheme are now present in literally every single bread and butter dynamic language. Lisp was innovative compared to the gigantic standardized languages of the time like ALGOL, now it's pretty much been obsoleted by Python.

The rest of the book is math, a Scheme tutorial and a Scheme implementation in Scheme, which is about as stupid as it sounds. Nobody runs a fucking interpreter on top of an interpreted programming language. Try writing in C instead; due to some contrived, unexplainable coincidence, pretty much all virtual machines are written in C or something similar. I wonder why.
>>
>>62337541
>which is about as stupid as it sounds. Nobody runs a fucking interpreter on top of an interpreted programming language.
>what is meta-circularity
>>
File: 1493124937527.jpg (77KB, 605x685px) Image search: [Google]
1493124937527.jpg
77KB, 605x685px
>>62337541
>He doesn't know about pypy
>>
>>62337541
>Features of Scheme are now present in literally every single bread and butter dynamic language.

Except Macros and continuations.

>Nobody runs a fucking interpreter on top of an interpreted programming language.

First, that's missing the entire point of the exercise. The purpose of implementing scheme in scheme is to show how simple a complex problem like building an interpreter is. Considering the fact that all problems are theoretically "what abstract machine recognize this language?" this is a very significant development. Second, self-hosting is very useful since it makes it for easier to port your stuff. That's a basic principle of compiler design.
>>
>>62337541
SICP has had a major impact on the way I write code (in every language).

It was also pretty edifying just to read for its own sake and to see the methodical exploration of ideas in action.

OP is still a pretentious faggot though. We write code because fucking money. Because I need to eat and I have a mortgage to pay. Would I still code if I didn't have to work for a living? Sure. Maybe. But I sure as fuck wouldn't do any hard stuff, just fun little toy programs.

Like it or not, OP, work is fulfilling and necessary. Fuck you and fuck your ivory tower.
>>
That's why I studied mathematics. Fewer normies.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.