[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been wanting to upgrade from my old haswell build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Tux.png (12KB, 265x314px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
12KB, 265x314px
I've been wanting to upgrade from my old haswell build to a newer ryzen build, however when doing research about builds and whatnot this

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-is-getting-ready-to-block-windows-updates-for-old-windows-on-new-chips/

has sort of turned me off of it. I'm a long time Windows user, currently on (and loving) W7, however this news is not just disheartening, it feels like a stab in the gut. I hate W10 and 8 with a passion, and I'm not using them. So, keeping in mind that I've never used linux, what are some good linux alternatives to Windows 7? And before you tell me to JFGI, I have and have found some things I like, however I want to hear your say on it.
>>
Is there anything you need to know about my PC that would help? Or maybe what I intend to do with it? I play a lot of video games, mostly from GOG and Steam but a lot emulated too. Most of the programs I use on the day-to-day are free, except for Discord. I know, I know, but it's what my friends use and I like the layout.
>>
gentoo
>>
>>62327514
I've seen this advocated on here QUITE a lot, but I've never researched it much. What separates Gentoo from other distros such as (ones I have been looking into) Mint Cinnamon and Sparky?
>>
>>62327588
don't listen to him, it's just a /g/ meme, nobody actually uses gentoo
>>
Why not just install windows 10 and you'll be fine with updates and such?
>>
File: 1504889312766.png (2MB, 807x6544px) Image search: [Google]
1504889312766.png
2MB, 807x6544px
>>
>>62327249
There are solutions to install updates on "blocked" computers.
>>
>>62327637
Because I don't like the way it works in a lot of ways. It REQUIRES you to have a password at startup. You can't just shake the mouse out of a screensaver. The UI is very unintuitive, at least for me. Perhaps people who enjoy playing on their phones all the time would like it but I do not. Also, I have heard bad things about compatibility and such with older games via W10, and seeing as how I mostly play older games that is a great turn off. Most importantly the lack of privacy. I'm sorry, but I do illegal things on my computer and do not wish to be monitored. I am well aware that I am pushing it with W7, so W10 is out of the question for me.
>>
>>62327249
Mint or some variant of Ubuntu if you want to ease yourself into it. If you actually want to learn how everything works, throwing yourself into the deep end and installing Gentoo isn't a bad idea.
>>
>>62327680
Mint Cinnamon is one of the ones I have been looking into. I hear very good things about it.
>>
>>62327735
Linux Mint is great for newcomers. However, once you feel comfortable with the Linux enviornment, I'd suggest installing Ubuntu or any of it's flavors.
>>
>>62327759
Well, I guess that's what I'll do then. Thanks, man. I'll probably be back on this board later in the week asking Linux things if I can't figure them out. I did see that it comes with a manual, so I'll be reading over that first.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170908_210729.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170908_210729.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>62327249
Yes, Microsoft is slowly phasing out support for pre-10 windows'

Install linux, we don't have any problems here
>>
>>62327249

>what are some good linux alternatives to Windows
>>
Oh! I did have a few other questions! Will all my hardware still be usable (eg my gpu and my printer) or will I have to find and download drivers. I think I already know the answer, but I still want to hear if from you guys.
>>
>>62327901
Depends on which GPU and which printer. Nvidia GPUs generally require proprietary drivers to work well, while AMD drivers are integrated into the kernel(this does mean that you may have to manually upgrade the kernel, but that's not too hard to do). But Ryzen will require you to upgrade the kernel in any case if you use Mint, since it's based on the LTS version of Ubuntu which uses an older kernel by default.
>>
>>62327901
Most printers should work. When there are no official drivers it is often possible to find a PPD file for your printer, which should be sufficient. Scanners are more difficult.

Mint and Ubuntu have been already mentioned. I would suggest that you use Cinnamon as your desktop environment. It's a solid DE and similar to what you are used to from Windows. What Distro you choose doesn't really matter that much
>>
>>62327981
>>62328022
Fugg I have a GTX 760 and a HP all in one. Guess I have to do some digging. Lo que sera, sera.
>>
>>62327249
>I consider using linux
>Sticky with all information I need?
>Nah, brah, I'll make it personal and create a useless thread

Install Source Mage
>>
File: 1489825231844.jpg (227KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489825231844.jpg
227KB, 1280x960px
>>62328095
P.s. OP won't survive using Linux, he should stick to Windows or buy a mac.
I don't want to see anymore making threads about how someone is too stupid to use web search for a simple solution.
Or complaining how hard it is to use CLI or something.

>>62327249
OP, please, do not use Linux.
>>
>>62328079
Installing proprietary drivers is not difficult. If you have an HP printer you are lucky. It is the only company with open source drivers for almost all of there printers. You can install it throw your package manager
>>
>>62328095
I have blocked the seeing of stickys with userscripts because they rarely contain valuable information and are just made by the mods for the lulz, so I didn't know there was one.
>>
>>62328171
Does not justify your inability to look up for yourself which Linux distribution is beginner friendly.

And if you're wondering how it all go for you, using Linux for the first time. I can tell you it won't go very well. You'll be frustrated by every little thing and complain how hard it is to use Linux.
>>
>>62328267
>Does not justify your inability to look up for yourself which Linux distribution is beginner friendly.

Oh, I see. I'm sorry you have a reading comprehension problem, anon. It's late, at least in some parts of the world, so it's ok, I don't blame you. Perhaps you should go to bed, or if you're working on a project stick to that instead of messing around on 4chan. But you should get some sleep soon, man, you're getting angry for no good reason.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.