[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you care about the number of packages and memory usage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: 300px-Arch-linux-logo.png (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Arch-linux-logo.png
11KB, 300x300px
Why do you care about the number of packages and memory usage so much? Do you guys do anything else than screenfetch on your virtual machines and play video games on Windows 10? Every damn Arch user seems to have ~800 packages installed and use the lightest WM available and once they see a picture of someone else having +1000 packages or using an actual DE they lose their shit because Xfce uses 50MB more RAM than their dumb masochist WM. It's 2017 and you have at least 8GB of RAM, who the fuck cares about ~50MB.
>>
>>62322681
>Why do you care about the number of packages and memory usage so much?
I don't
>Do you guys do anything else than screenfetch on your virtual machines and play video games on Windows 10?
I spend most of may day in programming. Gaming is a shitty, unproductive distraction. Also, I don't use windows since 2013
>Every damn Arch user seems to have ~800 packages installed and use the lightest WM available and once they see a picture of someone else having +1000 packages or using an actual DE they lose their shit because Xfce uses 50MB more RAM than their dumb masochist WM. It's 2017 and you have at least 8GB of RAM, who the fuck cares about ~50MB.
What they don't realize is that if you have a working WM, a panel, a session manager and a file manager you already have a DE. DE is everything you want it to be.
>>
File: 1504913133.png (30KB, 729x331px) Image search: [Google]
1504913133.png
30KB, 729x331px
>>62322681
Go to hell WinFag.
>>
>>62322815
>What they don't realize is that if you have a working WM, a panel, a session manager and a file manager you already have a DE. DE is everything you want it to be.

Everyone keeps saying this but every time I try to switch to a WM, configuring my complicated audio/video setup is pain and I'm also lacking accessibility features like easy keyboard configuration. I need to plug & unplug a shit ton of displays and audio devices (inputs & outputs) on a daily basis and a fully-featured DE makes this much easier.
>>
>>62322845
>720 packages Arch boot for fetch
>3400 packages Debian install for professional use

I wonder which one is the "winfag". I'd post a fetch but I'm on mobile, shitposting from bed.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170908_210729.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170908_210729.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>62322867
It's not complicated, it's just tedious. Install a full fledged DE if your hardware can afford it
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.