[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much did a computer cost in the 80s if you wanted console

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Ibm_px_xt_color.jpg (2MB, 2832x2128px) Image search: [Google]
Ibm_px_xt_color.jpg
2MB, 2832x2128px
How much did a computer cost in the 80s if you wanted console level graphics?

I believe consoles had a lead back then if wanted more than high resolution text.

Also home cumputers seemed to be a wild west back then with dos machines, Amiga, and various cheap 8 bit home computers.
>>
>>62320854
Ibm compadible pc were expensive
And the games did look a little better on pc.
The reason why the nes was so cheap was probably the I/O
>>
>>62320854

A ZX Spectrum/VIC20/C64 type home computer that plugs into a TV is what you'd normally be getting in the early 80s (the time when 5150 was new). They're closest to consoles as they were used for gaming at least 70% of the time.

IBM-PC compatibles were pretty bad for gaming up until around 1990 with poor sound capability and no graphics goodies like hardware sprites. What IBM-PC's excelled at weren't graphics/gaming, but processing power, storage space and display resolution (80 column characters). They became top gaming machines only after the platform started getting things like Adlib/Soundblaster cards, VGA display adapters, MMX extensions in the 90s.
>>
>>62320854
I dunno about the 80s but i know by 1990 pcs were WAAAY ahead of consoles. 3d games on pc were mainstream by 1990. Just look at STUNTS FOR DOS (1990).
>>
>>62320854
>How much did a computer cost in the 80s if you wanted console level graphics?
about $1000 for an Atari 800 in the early 80s, $600 for a C64 in the mid 80s, and $700 an Amiga 500 in the late 80s
>>
>>62320854
The Amiga was the best thing in terms of graphics, easily beating out the NES, SMS, Genesis, and even giving the SNES a run for its money in some cases. In 1987, a base model Amiga 500 would have set you back about $700 sans monitor. That's over $1500 in today's dollars.
>>
>>62321637

You can't really compare a 16bit 68000-based PC to the NES/SMS... SNES/Genesis would be a fair comparison, but even then it's so much better...
>>
>>62321726
I know it's not an entirely fair comparison, but the point was to compare things that were available at the time. In the late 80s there really wasn't much "middle ground" in the computer market, i.e. nothing that was directly on par with the NES and SMS. Everything was either worse (IBM, C64, Atari 8-bit, B+W Mac, etc.) or better (Amiga, Atari ST, Macintosh II, Apple IIGS.) So if you want to be "on par" with consoles, the only natural answer is to go better.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.