[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best <300$ portable device to give to a TOTAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1503254882527.jpg (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503254882527.jpg
114KB, 1024x768px
What's the best <300$ portable device to give to a TOTAL tech illiterate for web browsing, email, youtube videos and such?
Laptop? Android tablet?
>>
>>62284347
just buy a cheap thinkpad and chuck on debian/ubuntu and you're sorted
>>
>>62284347
Chromebook. It was literally made for illiterates so they can't fuck anything up.
>>
>>62284347
is this real lol
>>
I got my Mom a an Amazon tablet, she seems to be getting on with it.
>>
>>62284347
raspberry pi or cheap Chinese smartphone
>>
>>62285836
>raspberry pi
Disregard that. It's way too slow for anything that involves videos in browsers. Youtube is literally impossible to use on that piece of shit.
>>
Some kind of cloudbook, either a Chromebook or one of the Windows ones with restricted user privileges. You could even put Linux on there yourself as an added layer of restriction against mistakes.

Tablets are okay but a total tech illiterate will not have any fun at all typing emails on a screen.
>>
used iPad
>>
>>62284347
iPad if you can go over that budget
Kindle Fire if you can't
>>
>>62285829
This, just side load the play store in addition
>>
>>62284347
Cheap chink Android tablet
if it's someone you love, an iPad mini or slightly more expensive Android tablet
>>
gpd xd
>>
>>62284347
I bought my Mother an XPS 15. Put Windows onto it, made her a non-admin account, generally pre-configured everything.

There were two reasons for this, firstly was that I wanted a display that was bright and clear - so she, at her age, had no issues seeing the screen. The second was that I wanted something way over specification, simply so it would be responsive, even if it gradually gunked up. Over the years I found most of her frustration/complaints with laptops and tablets had been a failure to understand that things were just loading slowly, or not responding actively. This also confused her a lot when navigating menus and the like. So, whilst this was over specification, it has been the first tech purchase I've made on her behalf that she has actually taken to.

Now that doesn't solve your $300 issue, but it should give you an idea of what to consider.
>>
>>62285770
yes haha lol
>>
File: wiz.jpg (874KB, 2273x2511px) Image search: [Google]
wiz.jpg
874KB, 2273x2511px
>>62284347
a fucking real answer for you is an ipad mini.
>>
>>62284347
x230
>>
>>62284347
iPad is virusfree device unless you will root it
>>
Chromebook absolutely! That's what my parents are using or an iPad. Don't bother with Android or Windows.
>>
>>62285662
This. Chromebook or iPad.
>>
iPad for sure
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.