[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the benefits of using a distro other than Ubuntu? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ubuntu-logo.png (4KB, 758x171px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo.png
4KB, 758x171px
What are the benefits of using a distro other than Ubuntu?

The majority of Linux distros are practically the same other than having different default programs and settings, but Ubuntu has the most mainstream support.
>>
>>62276372
Ubuntu being one of the most resource intensive distros along with amazon products preinstalled.

Nice distro tho
>>
Because aptitude sucks.
>>
>>62276372
>U get worse font rendering
>Almost no support by many software.
>Wasting time fixing non-lts meme distros.
>Less available packages.
>Make ur waifu very sad.
>>
>>62276372
Mint guy here, I used Ubuntu as well in the past but none of the official flavors can compete with the Mint Cinnamon desktop. i can also leach off the massive Ubuntu community bc Mint is basically Ubuntu LTS and 100 percent compatible
>>
I haven't used many distros, but both I and a few friends had the most issues on ubuntu strangely enough

Also fuck apt it's slow as shit
>>
Reason why this is happening is because we're still trying to drop the dead hipster weight of poseurs who don't give a shit about linux or technology and just want to use something "different" so they can pretend to be better than everyone else.

>>62276601
-Amazon has been gone for almost 3 releases now.
-It was only in Unity which no wannabe-autist would be caught dead using.
-KDE based is worse but both will work on a C2D if you would upgrade your 15 year old piece of shit space heater.
>>
>>62276601
ubuntu minimal is alright over here on muh server. 250mb ram idle is a little high for me, but whatever. It is kind of a boring distro though - like the fisher price of linux. but it works.
>>62276632i
Yeah it does
>>62276680
>mint guy here
lol
>>62276372
OP youre right though, most distros are the same save for their package management. It boils down to package management, init system, and thats about it.
>>
I don't really understand the complainers. Yum seems to take as much time as apt to me. And if you don't like Unity and want to be lighter weight, you can choose Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint is basically another *ubuntu, or do what I did and strip everything out you don't want and hand pick your graphical utilities (in my case, XMonad is my window manager and everything runs on less than 500m until I open Chrome).

If you want to go even lighter, you're going to have to go with something like Damn Small Linux.
>>
Rolling release
>>
>>62276896
One of the ways you know anti-ubuntu posters are just hipsters is because they basically always ignore the lighter distros of ubuntu even if there's one with a DE that they like.

In other threads:
>Oh Linux is so good you can download whatever you want there are so many choices, did you know you can even change it after it's installed to anything else? I like openbox and I use some obscure piece of shit autism distro

In Ubuntu thread:
>Ubuntu sucks because unity sucks and it's too bloated and it will be slow and you have to download unity to use ubuntu you also can't install any other DE after you installed it
>(What about Lubuntu?)
>Autistic hipster silence
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.