[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they just scrap HURD? It's been in development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0139.jpg (24KB, 666x160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0139.jpg
24KB, 666x160px
Why don't they just scrap HURD? It's been in development for literally 27 years and it's not even remotely usable. Not even RMS uses it.
>>
still an alternative if linux ever becomes dog shit
>>
>>62274109
Linux is already dogshit, if by "dogshit" you mean "too complex for its own good." But HURD takes software complexity to a whole nother level. Plus, the BSDs always exist, and they actually work.
>>
>>62274073
Fuck you OP, we are waiting for it and you can't take us away.
HURD is the future and our last hope.
>>
>>62274109
If Linux somehow shits the bed, everyone will move to BSD long before they move to HURD
>>
>>62274623
licensing ideology wars

I wish it didn't have to be this way, but the lines have been drawn a long time ago
>>
>>62274971
Fork FreeBSD, create GNU/FreeGPL
>>
Just because it's not usable as a daily driver doesn't mean they should scrap it. Microkernels are cool, even though we haven't quite figured them out yet.
>>
>>62274073
When was it last updated? As in, even if it's been worked on for 27 years, that doesn't mean it's dead necessarily.
>>
Why has GNU been compromised with GPL2 kernel? Where is mah glorious GPL3?
>>
>>62274073
they haven't scrapped it because RMS needs fap material.

honestly I think an exokernel could save the hurd. have the hurd running as user space servers underneath the exokernel. you get your capability based security, familiar Unix- like environment, and separation of concerns.

It'll never happen. they don't want to compromise on licensing.
>>
File: hurdislove.png (43KB, 709x709px) Image search: [Google]
hurdislove.png
43KB, 709x709px
GuixSD is going to be what finally revitalizes and brings it into the modern world.
The Hurd actually seems insanely cool - I wish I was smart enough to understand it.
>>
>HURD

moar like TURD
>>
>>62274109
linux has been dog shit since the day it was created
>>
>>62277195
/thread
>>
>>62277167
this
>>
>>62274109
>if
>>
>>62277167
>>62278270
>modern world
Once TURD manages to support x64, we will be colonizing Jupiter's moons.
>>
>>62274073
>Why don't they just scrap HURD?
The opportunities for puns are irresistible.
>>
File: 1396494131684.jpg (208KB, 1024x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1396494131684.jpg
208KB, 1024x1500px
>>62274623
>If Linux somehow shits the bed
already has with poeterringware
>>
>>62279765
You don't really know what a kernel is, right?
>>
>>62274073
>Why don't they just scrap HURD?
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as HURD, is in fact, GNU/HURD, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus HURD. HURD is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “HURD”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a HURD, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
HURD is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. HURD is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with HURD added, or GNU/HURD. All the so-called “HURD” distributions are really distributions of GNU/HURD.
>>
>>62279212
top fucking keke so accurate
>>
>>62279800
But we're actually talking about the kernel known has Hurd?

The reason why the Hurd project hasn't been scrapped is because Hurd actually has a lot of educational benefits. You've probably heard this before, but a lot of kernel devs break their teeth on Hurd.
>>
>>62279796
>You don't really know what a kernel is, right?
it appears you don't know whats contained in the kernel, right?
>>
>>62279829
>contained
Just stop posting before you embarrass yourself any further.
>>
>>62279829
you're embarrassing yourself anon please stop
>>
>>62279765
Install Gentoo.
Or Devuan...
>>
>>62274073
RMS has the IQ of a savant. His high capacity mind has been subconsciously mulling over how he should best complete this OS for 20 years. If his mind can't do it then no-one can. It will never be finished.
>>
I think it's the "need" they have for finishing it; when rms started the GNU project he wanted to make a *complete* (and of course free) alternative to Unix.
So even if they have been years and years developing it, I think they just want to fully accomplish their initial goal.
>>
The HURR
>>
>>62274073
You know the dream is dead when a bunch of Google fuckbois contribute after years of hibernation.
>>
They should skip x86_64 and go straight to RISC V. I mean, if you're aiming for the moon already, you might as well go all the way with the ideology thing. Plus, maybe when it's finished, RISC V will actually be a thing, not to mention being the simultaneous development of both RISC V and HURD. There's literally nothing to lose and everything to gain.
>>
>>62274073
The TURD is hopelessly based on a 1st generation microkernel (mach3) and thus a waste of time, but it is also useful as a containment project for some developers that would otherwise be dangerous. Same idea as Redox, for the rust strike force.
See microkernel.info for options that see some activity today.
>>
>>62276278
Latest release was two months ago I think
>>
HURD? More like TURD.
>>
I've heard this Hurd meme before but never really understood it. I know it's a kernel like Linux, but what benefits does it have over Linux? Better file management? More security? Faster? Or is it just better at being Free as in Freedom...?
>>
>>62284617
>but what benefits does it have over Linux?
its not monolithic.
>>
>>62274073
They should rename it Linux/HURD since it takes all drivers from Linux in order to function.
Also ext2 code and some other stuff.
Then again, Stallmanites are hypocrites so they'll invent a reason why it "doesn't count".
>>
>>62284791
Gnu\HURD-Linux
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.