[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

as I grow older, I discover how hard it is to keep data for long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 0DFk4wN.jpg (246KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0DFk4wN.jpg
246KB, 1280x1024px
as I grow older, I discover how hard it is to keep data for long periods of time. Hard drives and flash drives fail over time and online storage services go out of business. Anyone here kept data for 10+ years on a a single device/service? For everyone else, how do you store it?
>>
>>62257102
raid and back ups, retard
>>
File: 51c.png (28KB, 666x454px) Image search: [Google]
51c.png
28KB, 666x454px
>>62257102
the maxtor drive in this pic is from like 2001 and still works, albeit slow as fuck. computer also has a "Made for Windows ME" sticker on the front kek
>>
>>62257219
Same here. Good old Maxtor HDDs aren't jewd, it has never failed me for 15 years.
>>
>>62257102
ZFS
>>
I used to burn my backup date on CDs back in the early 2000s. They've spent the last 17 years in a cardboard box in the basement. I've wanted to copy them over to my current external HDD but been too lazy. I wonder if the date is still readable or if the discs have decomposed by now?

I also have some videos on Mini-DV from the mid-2000s. I finally bought a firewire card and will try to transfer them next week. I really hope they survived because there's precious memories on them.
>>
>>62257219

I also have really old hdds working, but never post how long since people will jinx it.
>>
>>62257483
Do it now, faggot.
>>
>>62257483
Damn, just reminded me i used to burn a fuckton of games in the early 2000s, didn't even play most of them, just downloaded and burned, kek. Had a huge stack of dvds that i threw out eventually. Who else had this form of purified autism?
>>
>>62257522
That's not autism IMHO everybody did that. The net was still not developed enough to warrant successful downloads of games, so everyone resorted to burning them.

It was always the same. Guy A buys a game and lends it to guy B who burns it, who gives a copy to guy C, who gives a copy to guy D etc etc etc...
>>
File: old_files.png (73KB, 381x773px) Image search: [Google]
old_files.png
73KB, 381x773px
waiting for AI to organize my dank memes for me
>>
>>62257147
You can RAID0 external HDDs that are stuffed in storage?
>>
My data goes back to 1999. I've been transferring my digital stuff from HDD to HDD. Back in 2005 my 80GB Maxtor started making clicking sounds and throwing crc errors. I did't have backup. I tried the freeze trick and it worked. In 2011 or so i accidentally formatted my 1TB drive. Recuva got 99.5% of it back, but all file names were now random numbers and everything were in one folder. Took me two years to reorganize everything. In 2013 I started creating split .rar files of important files/folders with 100% recovery records. These are stored on three seperate HDDs, one is offsite. Now I'm safe from any kind of bit rot or data loss, as long as I can recover at least a combined 50% of the split .rars.

I have 4TB of data.
>>
>>62257738
make the impossible, attainable with LVM
and 50 hours reading the manual
>>
I want to implement CEPH object storage in my home servers so I can just add random ass drives and have the whole thing rebalance itself. It allows me to set redundancy per-file.
>>
>>62257789
What kind of data is this important?
>4TB of anime
>>
>>62258506

>he doesnt have 8TB of anime
What cant you afford 16TB of storage?
>>
>>62257522
I've got a couple of cd's from the early 2000's with a lot of .exe's saved before everything had to be installed. I dug them out when I got into vm's about a year ago and everything was fine.
>>
>>62257102
just transfer shit onto new shit
>>
>>62257618

>gorilla.bas
Holy shit, I have to play that again.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.