[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a dynamic IP, and occasionally it changes, which actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: NoIP.jpg (85KB, 979x409px) Image search: [Google]
NoIP.jpg
85KB, 979x409px
I have a dynamic IP, and occasionally it changes, which actually results in my internet being shut down because of some fuckery with how I have my mac address setup. Anyway, I've research and found that Dynamic DNS is the way to solve this, but which provider should I go with?
>>
Gentoo
>>
>>62246766
Automatically updating a name server has nothing to do with your IP address being dynamic.
>>
>>62246852
> A dynamic IP address changes from time to time, making it hard to keep track of. Especially because your ISP doesn’t send a notification when it changes.

>To solve this problem, people use Dynamic DNS. Dynamic DNS works by detecting when your IP address changes and sets the dynamic IP address to a static hostname like camera1.ddns.net.
>Then anytime the IP address changes, an update goes to a server, telling it to change the IP address attached to the hostname.
>This ensures a device is always reachable by the hostname, no matter how many times the IP address changes.

In any case, anytime my IP changes, I've noticed the WAN IPv4 is set to 0.0.0.0 in the router config, meaning I have to unplug the modem/restart it in order for it to update to the new IP.

I assume having DDNS would detect this change and automatically update it
>>
>>62246934
DDNS will not restart your modem for you or renew your IP. DDNS will update a name server WHEN you have your new IP. By the looks of it your modem can't handle the IP change so DDNS will not solve anything.

TL;DR: Your modem suck.
>>
>>62246962
>DDNS will not restart your modem for you or renew your IP
I know it's not going to restart my modem. The entire point of this is to set it so DDNS points to the right static host therefore eliminating the need to reboot anything.

>DDNS will update a name server WHEN you have your new IP
That's exactly what I want it to do.

> By the looks of it your modem can't handle the IP change
I highly doubt it's related to the modem.

It's an Aris Surfboard SB8200. I had the same issue with NetGear's CM1000
>>
>>62247076
>I highly doubt it's related to the modem.
>I've noticed the WAN IPv4 is set to 0.0.0.0 in the router config, meaning I have to unplug the modem/restart it in order for it to update to the new IP.

Okay
>>
https://desec.io/
>>
>>62247085
I've always powered off everything(modem and router) to have a clean start. I don't know if it's actually necessary for the modem specifically to be turned off.
>>
>>62247150
Sounds like you have to look into your problem a bit more. You're still guessing. Can't fix a problem that way.
>>
File: 1491754246949.png (2MB, 1785x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1491754246949.png
2MB, 1785x1150px
>>62246934
Sounds like you don't understand basic networking and the difference between LAN and WAN networks. Don't post shit you read online just because you think it works.

This is for your own good OP.
>>
>>62247561
>You're still guessing.
Of course it's an educated guess. There's no other good explanation for why it happens.

>>62247822
>Sounds like you don't understand basic networking and the difference between LAN and WAN networks.
I know how it works.
I already set up the DDNS and it's working as it should. Only way to know for certain it's working since when my dynamic IP changes.

Thanks for the incredibly unhelpful /pol/ response though. Maybe don't post pointless fucking comments.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.