[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you fags like Arch? It's the patrician OS.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 274
Thread images: 27

File: arch-linux.png (61KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
arch-linux.png
61KB, 900x506px
Why don't you fags like Arch? It's the patrician OS.

>Newest version of everything
>Actually justwerkz
>Only people who hate on it are winfags who don't know how to into linux and ubuntufags who also don't know how to into linux
>Best OS for ricing, not even a competition, second best is gentoo if you're really autistic
>actually stable as fuck, anyone saying otherwise is a liar or a shill
>free systemd
>>
all linux distros suck but arch sucks the least
>>
>>62245319
Only edgy kids use arch
>>
>>62245329
Damn dude, I like your colour scheme.
>>
>>62245343
>t. retard
Which OS do you use? Tell us please.
>>
Yeah, sure, whatever. I'll just use my Debian.
>>
>>62245319
I think most /g/ users who are not WinBOIs have at least tried Arch.

I would say it's more of a gate way towards using Linux as it was originally conceived.

Arch still kind of fisher prices installing the Kernel and you don't have to deal with source installs unless you want to.

With that said, I think most of the NEETs here would benefit more / get more meaning from learning a good backend development language than constantly ricing out Arch installs.
>>
>>62245319
>Newest version of everything
Do you really need bleeding edge?
>Actually justwerkz
Whats with all the Archfags asking questions on how to do simple task X then?
>Only people who hate on it are winfags who don't know how to into linux and ubuntufags who also don't know how to into linux
Why dont you use LFS then mister Linux guru?
>Best OS for ricing, not even a competition, second best is gentoo if you're really autistic
Ricing is pretty autistic
>actually stable as fuck, anyone saying otherwise is a liar or a shill
Nice argument
>free systemd
But Arch has SystemD?
>>
>>62245360
The best one: Windows X
>>
i'm a maximalist
>>
>>62245360
Debian. Because my primary purpose is work, not ricing. Only kids care about ricing.
>>
>>62245385
>But Arch has SystemD
That's why it's free you retard.

I've used Arch to run servers with uptimes in the months, it's as stable as any other distro and all this bullshit about pacman breaking installation are either lies or posts made by brainlets installing furry dating simulators off AUR.
>>
It's well known that only brainlets hate Arch.
>>
>>62245319
Why are arch users obnoxious cunts?
>>
>>62245425
confirmation bias
>>
>>62245425
Because every time Arch gets brought up or suggested a legion of ubuntucucks pour out of the woodworks saying shit like "noooo arch is too hard, don't learn about your OS, just join the ubuntu herd :)" and "hahaha guys pacman will auto update and break your installation every 12 hours, i know because my cousin heard it from a guy who read it on a forum in 2009" "don't use arch its shit, what, me? No I've never used it"

We're tired of you cucks, so now we're defensive all the time.
>>
>>62245319
>Actually justwerkz
My wifi card, and switchable graphics cards say otherwise.
>>
>>62245443
>defending linux distros on an anime website
>>
>>62245464
It's like you think other distros won't have the same problems. If anything Arch is MORE likely to work because it runs the latest kernel.
>>
File: 1478824822865.jpg (138KB, 748x859px) Image search: [Google]
1478824822865.jpg
138KB, 748x859px
Say one (1) benefit of Arch over a minimal Ubuntu installation.
>>
>>62245319
Because I run debian and don't want to update shit everyday.
>>
>>62245443
This kinda. Also arch is comfy, don't know why /g/ hates it.

t. arch user
>>
>>62245329
this aint arch you macfaggot
>>
>>62245483
umm look at the logo its arch
>>
Non-free, Systemd-infected, time-wasting distro.
It's also worth noting that Arch does not split packages into runtime and devel, so it's minimal as in the number of packages listed by screenfetch, not minimal as in lightweight.

I see no reason to use it over something like Void, which has an installer.
>>
>>62245474
1. Newer kernels

2. the most comprehensive knowledge base of any distro: archwiki, compared to ubuntu where you're sorting through trash forums and stack overflow links for 2 hours.
>>
>>62245474
U-um... Y-you can d-do everything yourself?
>>
>>62245319
I use Arch + KDE and my systems idles @ ~300mb RAM used
>>
I find Arch to be terrible on laptops, because you run into more problems then what it's worth.
>>
>>62245488
you can change screenfetch logos my dude
>>
>>62245508
>muh free as in freedom
Bet you still use gmail and facebook n shit you fucking retard.
>>
I'm having pulseaudio and some startup lag problems right now. Help me plis ;-;
>>
>>62245488
look at the font rendering and package count. a setup like that requires atleast 500 packages.
also you can change screenfetch/neofetch config to show different logos and info.
>>
>>62245530
You can but you can't change the kernel info, that's arch in his picture. See mine? OS: Ubuntu. but the kernel gives it away.
>>
>>62245562
>atleast 500 packages
>for an open terminal
>>
Why not just use Ubuntu Minimal?
It's much less likely to break when you update but just as barebones and light.

>inb4 "muh upstream updates"
Why do you need those?
>>
>>62245529
Opposite experience fampai, I've run Arch on nearly everything I own with no problems I couldn't fix easily.

>>62245551
What's wrong pal?
>>
>>62245513

>1. Newer kernels
What notable benefit does this give me?

>2. the most comprehensive knowledge base of any distro: archwiki, compared to ubuntu where you're sorting through trash forums and stack overflow links for 2 hours.
I never need to search shit because stuff justwerkz

>>62245521
>U-um... Y-you can d-do everything yourself?
Why would I want to micromanage everything? I have other stuff to do.
>>
>>62245586
>It's much less likely to break when you update but just as barebones and light.
Leave the memes at the door if you want to come talk at the big boys table ubuntubabby, pacman doesn't break installations, it is a meme. You have as much chance of breaking your installation completely with apt as you do with pacman (read: none)
>>
File: 1495455438306.jpg (22KB, 492x341px) Image search: [Google]
1495455438306.jpg
22KB, 492x341px
>>62245589
>Why would I want to micromanage everything? I have other stuff to do.
You mean you actually have a job, responsibilities and other activities that a normal productive member of society should have? Look at him, Arch bros, look at him and laugh.
>>
>>62245549
I've never used either.
Were it not for software freedom you would probably never have been able to play around with a manually-installed operating system in the first place, so don't pretend that it doesn't matter.
>>
>>62245589
>What notable benefit does this give me?
If you don't know what possible benefits a more recent kernel might hold then you're right, Arch isn't for you. Stay on Ubuntu.

>I never need to search shit because stuff justwerkz
Until you run into that one obscure issue like happens on every distro and then you have to spend hours combing forums, whereas on Arch a turboautist has already encountered that problem and documented it + 10 fixes on the wiki.
>>
>>62245574
>what is base and base-devel
>implying ncmpcpp and neofetch are the only packages he uses
>>
>>62245610
kek'd alright, I don't have to 'maintain' my arch like the memes though, people around here act like arch is fucking gentoo or something, it can be as 'set and forget' as ubuntu or any other distro after you get through the installation.
>>
>>62245611
I do care about software freedom, but the crying about systemd is just fucking ridiculous, it doesn't affect your average user at all either.
>>
>>62245595
Of course Pacman itself doesn't break shit and you know that's not what I meant, but try denying that the vast majority of people have to obsessively check the website before updating, just in case.

Arch is user-centric, don't deny that Arch is a distro you have to put a lot of effort into maintaining if you actually want the upstream updates.

Most beginners don't want Arch because of the rolling release, they want it because they like the idea of building up their own system from scratch. Ubuntu Minimal is objectively better if that's all you want.
>>
>>62245621
that's not neofetch
>>
>>62245612
>If you don't know what possible benefits a more recent kernel might hold then you're right, Arch isn't for you. Stay on Ubuntu.

I askes you what benefits it brings. I wanted a answer, not an inane snide comment.

>Until you run into that one obscure issue like happens on every distro and then you have to spend hours combing forums, whereas on Arch a turboautist has already encountered that problem and documented it + 10 fixes on the wiki.
I'll give you this.
>>
>>62245329
I love it. what's the background source?
>>
>>62245655
What did you mean then pal? If you're talking about AUR then you're right, but if babby wants to break his installation with a bunch of AUR shit then that's on him, he'll learn and next time he won't do it, there are disclaimers everywhere anyway.

>Most beginners don't want Arch because of the rolling release
Says who? You? Arch's bleeding edge software is the main draw, even more so than the DIY aspect, if you want to just DIY I see no point not using Arch for that anyway though, it has better learning resources and a DIY community built around it.

>>62245660
I don't have the time or care to list every fucking change in the linux kernel, if you actually want to learn then go here https://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>>62245329
>115 packages
That isn't Arch.
>>
What can I do with arch that i can't do with noobuntu?
>>
>>62245693
>I don't have the time or care to list every fucking change in the linux kernel, if you actually want to learn then go here https://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

So you have time to defend Arch on an anime forum, but no time to actually clarify your points? This sounds afwully like you don't actually know the benefits of a newer kernel and just read on the Arch forums that it is "good".
>>
>>62245693
You type like a literal neckbeaed manchild which leads me to believe you're either baiting or a lost cause.

In any case, my only point is this:
If you only care about building your own system from scratch, get Ubuntu Minimal.

If you only care about getting your packages from the upstream but you're disinterested in setting up your own system from scratch, use Antergos or openSUSE Tumbleweed.

If you care about building your own system from scratch AND getting your packages from the upstream, use Arch.
>>
>>62245706
>he doesn't know how to get an ultra minimal arch install
>>
>>62245722
Feel better about yourself for using a "not beginner friendly distro"
>>
>>62245649
Systemd is free software, it's shit, but not unethical.
I agree that it doesn't matter to the average GNU/Linux user, but we're talking about Arch, whose users (supposedly) really know how their system is put together. If anyone cares about init systems it should be they, else they'd be using another distro.
Fortunately, you can pretty easily switch to OpenRC on Arch, but why go to the trouble to begin with?

like a lot of people on /g/ I'm sure, I used to use Arch back when I was new to GNU/Linux and installing my own system seemed like an interesting endeavour. But eventually there came a time when I really did understand how most of the system worked and I began to resent having to install the OS on new computers. It was then that I stopped caring about Arch.
I'm sure that this is pretty typical path, so it feels weird for me to say don't follow it, but just know that Arch typically doesn't lead anywhere except back to where you began.
>>
>>62245655
>building up from scratch
Okay, let's look at this from the perspective of an ubuntu minimal user and an arch user
>Huh, I've run into some weird issue that I can't find anything on, I guess I'll post to the forums
>posts to ubuntu forums, average joe has no fucking idea how to help because he doesn't use minimal install and never ran into that problem, have to wait days for someone who knows his shit to answer
>post to arch forums(implying you couldn't find it on archwiki because it's so comprehensive), everyone there built their OS from scratch and is much more likely to have encountered your issue or understand why you're having it, near instant help.
>>
>>62245756
That's a valid point, hadn't really thought of that.

Don't you think the Arch wiki is *usually* sufficient to help an Ubuntu Minimal user, though?
>>
>>62245768
Every single Ubuntu problem I ran into was fixed using only Arch wiki. It's pretty applicable to any other distro out there.
>>
>>62245768
Just about everything on the arch wiki also applies to every other distro
>>
>>62245777
I'm the same way, that's why I don't think an Ubuntu Minimal user would be severely disadvantaged so long as they're aware of the Arch wiki and capable of following instructions.

>inb4 Arch users call this cuckery
>>
>>62245588
I started messing around with this theme called Chicago95 for xfce and after I got it all set up and running my pulseaudio went to shit and I some small bits of lag when I log into my PC. Sad Reeeeeeeeee ):
>>
>>62245756
I wrote a long post replying to you but the system thinks it's spam for whatever reason, the gist of it is that you ignored my points and didn't give any good reason why ubuntu is better than arch for DIY install when arch has a community fully geared towards that.
>>
>>62245826
meant for>>62245731

but that guy summed up my point, arch has a community ready to help with even the most obscure shit, most ubuntu users got handheld through the installation and won't be able to help you.
>>
>>62245820
I don't think Chicago95 has anything to do with it because it's just a theme, but idk.
>>
>>62245727
You asked me to list changes, I linked you to a (retard-friendly)resource that lists all the numerous changes in this kernel..there really is no helping you, stay on Ubuntu.
>>
>>62245843
>arch has a community ready to help with even the most obscure shit
I definitely agree here, I just don't see why Ubuntu Minimal users can't also take advantage of that anon.
>>
>>62245820
Did you completely uninstall it? This is why I'm always telling you niggers to install Timeshift, or any other CLI system back up. It's a life-saver for when you do some dumb shit and break your OS.
>>
>>62245855
Because they're different operating systems for a start, a lot of systems are handled differently in arch as compared to ubuntu, if you really know your shit you can interpret general advice but we're talking about newbies here. What are you going to do as an ubuntu minimal user when someone recommends a fix geared for arch and points you to an AUR? Probably be very confused if you're new.
>>
>>62245777
i use the arch wiki too, and i run ubuntu on my laptop. it's so well documented, i don't even bother looking up the issue elsewhere first.
>>
>>62245871
Yup! It came as a zip that contained all the icons and stuff. I made and deleted my .themes and .icons folders just in case. I didn't know about timeshift until now. I'll install it when I wake up in the morning.
>>
>>62245855
Basically my point is, if you're going the DIY route arch is better in every way, you have the community, the wiki and you get to play with upstream packages/kernels while learning on the way. I don't see any advantages to using ubuntu minimal over arch for this purpose.
>>
>>62245329
>3dpd
at least get with the times, pleb
>>
>>62245907
illya is my gf nerd
>>
Arch likes to update too much. I mean, I love some new hot updates as much as the next person but not when they get in my way. Also, after some time I just understood that I'm not a minimal kind of guy. Hunting for dependencies and building your system from a minimal base is fun only a few couple of times. As much as I hate Canonical, I must admit that I like having decent fonts in Firefox, codecs, video thumbnails in file manager, etc. out of the box.
>>
>>62245898
Yeah, it's definitely got a ton of content that is applicable to any distro, but at the end of the day it's written for Arch and certain things don't carry over.
>>
>>62245360
"Noobuntu" because I have shit to get done
>>
>>62245917
that's very true. one day i'll update my laptop to arch
>>
>>62245915
You can run arch while not being a minimal kind of guy, you just need to get a preconfig distro like Antergos or Manjaro. For example Antergos (i'm not as familiar with manjaro but probably it too) come with codecs, vid/pic thumbnails and you choose your fonts. Although it's pretty easy to install all of this shit if you want it, so I prefer it isn't included.
>>
Install Gentoo you faggots
>>
>>62245933
It's f u n, once you go down the rabbit hole and make arch your hobby there's no going back, you'll be one of us.
>>
>>62245906
That's fine, I just don't agree. I guess this really comes down to personal preference/experience.

I prefer slower release cycles and can't think of a problem I've had with Ubuntu that couldn't be solved with the Arch wiki, you obviously have a different experience.

Arch is a perfectly good distribution with a fantastic community which benefits users of all distros, I just don't personally like rolling release distros.
>>
File: 1504340866098.png (272KB, 680x636px) Image search: [Google]
1504340866098.png
272KB, 680x636px
>>62245945
autistic please leave, this is a thread for discussing useful operating systems.
>>
>>62245319
not as good as gentoo tho.
>>
>>62245934
>loli@qt
>(。>﹏<。)
no u
>>
>>62245948
ive done it in VMs before, i have one such VM on my desktop. installing it for real is on my backlog of things to do, for sure
>>
>>62245871
Any suggestions?
>>
>>62245950
did you know you can choose NOT to update your packages? Having the option to right out of the repos when you see a new feature you like is really handy though.
>>
>>62245972
Sounds like a really strange issue, sorry anon. I have no clue. Time to go tell the arch forums you dun goof'd or reinstall.
>>
>>62245964
>Arch
>not the ultimate autistro
top kek, enjoy setting config protection on each file individually
>>
>>62245319
SystemD

and Void is a lot better.
>>
>>62245950
Sure, to each his own. Like I said in another post a lot of the archwiki is transferable, it's a great resource. I personally prefer having the option to try new releases without having to compile it myself all the time, but yeah Ubuntu is better for set it and forget it type guys we agree there.
>>
>>62246010
>SystemD
muh systemd boogeyman reeeee
>and Void is a lot better.
how? what are the benefits of running void over arch beyond muh free as in freedom cuckware
>>
>>62245571
>he doesn't know
>>
>>62246032
there's a way to spoof kernel in screenfetch? pls tell, I want to pretend I run gentoo with 400 day uptime.
>>
>>
>>62245988
Fuuuuuuccckkk. Anyways, thanks for your time. Really appreciate it (:
>>
>>62245319
when I used it like 8 years ago it had the habit of blowing up my configs and making the system unbootable with some random update to libc or something.

Debian is great.
>>
>>
>>62245425
Because you're overgeneralizing the whole community you fag
>>
>>62245978
kinda of a bad practice to use with a rolling distro. Anon, I'm worried for you. Please, do your updates regularly.
>>
>>62246150
I updated my girls old ass notebook, that I put arch on, after a year of it not being used. It updated with no issues. That's probably not a normal case though
>>
>>62246166
pretty normal, the "i did pacman -Syu and my computer blew up" meme is only that, a meme.

>>62246150
i personally update my shit 24/7 because i'm a 133t bleeding edge hacker xD I'm just saying that the only difference in a "stable" and rolling release distro is that one of them holds your hand.
>>
>>62246079
>>62246054
Wow, some shitty MS paint memes from 2007, arch users btfo'd and on suicide watch, how will they ever recover? So, are you a wincuck or an ubuntubabby?
>>
>>62246067
>8 years ago
I don't even remember what arch was like 8 years ago, maybe you should try it again, or not, if you're happy with debian there's no good reason to change.
>>
went from arch to ubuntu because i was paranoid of shit breaking
>>
>>62246212
I regularly see people complain about Arch blowing up configs. I remember Luke Smith complaining about it relatively recently.
>>
>>62246232
Never had it happen.

>>62246220
Did anything actually break prompting you to switch, or did you just fall for the /g/ memers tricks?
>>
>>62246232
Been using Arch for 5 years and it never nuked my configs, not once.
>>
>>62245738
>he actually wants to use his pc for more than impressing autists with his minimal arch install
>>
>>62245796
>ubuntu is better because you can steal info made by arch users for arch users
cuck
>>
>>62246300
he didn't say ubuntu was better. i do find it funny that he's stealing YOUR wiki, and you're the one calling him a cuck, you cuck.
>>
>>62246322
i agree, we need to make archwiki proprietary and only accessible on arch systems. good suggestion.
>>
>>62246340
I'll design the logo
>>
>>62246350
make it an Arch logo anally raping an ubuntu logo.
>>
>>62246366
Can the ubuntu logo be disinterested, since the arch logo has a very tiny micropenis and is skinnyfat?
>>
>>62246386
>implying we wouldn't just get a bigger and more updated cock from the repos
>>
>>62246405
>>62246386
Can you faggots take your erotic roleplay somewhere else?
>>
Isn't ubuntu especially if you go trough minimal install to get just what you want just Debian unstable but made stable with patches and a lot of good tweaks?
>>
>>62246405
>implying ubuntu users wouldn't just get a hardened asshole while you're tinkering with your cock.config files
>>
I used arch up until last year and switched to Void. Void is superior

Until Manjaro comes with their systemd-less spin, I won't be using it in the foreseeable future.

There are only two choices now, systemd Linux and systemd-less Linux. Systemd Linux is the same regardless of the installation process or distro of choice
>>
Han Solo dies
>>
>>62246431
>ubuntu
>more stable than debian
Buddy...just..no.
>>
>>62245319
I do
>>
>>62246435
>Void is superior
why?
>Until Manjaro comes with their systemd-less spin, I won't be using it in the foreseeable future.
this implies you never actually used arch, and that you used manjaro.

is there an actual reason you hate systemd or are you a bandwagoner?
>>
>>62246449
Yes ubuntu is more stable than debian unstable because that's the release it's based on.

Debian stable is just very stable on its own and that's the community focus but it's also using older everything inside it.
>>
>>62246433
>cock.config files
fucking kek'd and checked mate
>>
>>62246473
debian unstable is more stable than ubuntu LTS, i wouldn't trust any patches made by cucknonical to be reliable either. debian is a better OS.
>>
>>62246477
pssh, nothing personnel, kid.
but seriously, i love arch and the wiki is a godsend, even for my ubuntu machine
>>
LFS is much better.
>>
>>62246435
So far 4 guys have come into this thread, raged about systemd and then when asked what they actually hate about it and how it affects them have vanished. Will you be #5?
>>
>>62246490
Well you're wrong based on benchmarks and statistics of long term usage ubuntu wins compared strictly to debian unstable.

You seem to be religious in your opinion I cannot respect that.
>>
File: imabiggoy.png (25KB, 383x321px) Image search: [Google]
imabiggoy.png
25KB, 383x321px
>>
>>62246529
citation needed shuttleworth
>>
>>62246460
Void package management. Do your own homework.

I've only used vanilla arch, but they have made using openrc more and more difficult and prone to breakage. The team at Manjaro are working to make a systemd-less spin of arch, hopefully making it easier (possible) to use arch without systemd
>>
>>62246575
you tell me to do my homework then recommend manjaro which is known for it's security breaches and outdated packages fucking KEK, you also dodged the question about why you specifically hate systemd and how it affects you. freetards are always this braindead.
>>
>>62246573
Go on google filter for the last 3 months to stay relevant and just insert keyword ubuntu, debian unstable benchmark and here you go for benchmarks all of them.
>>
>>62246513
No. Systems is too difficult to evaluate due to its size and ever changing code. It's a giant single point of failure and/or exploitation. It is rumored to have been developed in conjunction with the NSA. I don't know much about the bugs I the code to comment on them, but plenty exist
>>
>>62246623
>i don't know anything about the bugs but they exist trust me
>rumours about NSA backdoor even though it's open source
>i'm too lazy/stupid to evaluate the code therefore it's to big to be evaluated

yep, he's a retard alright, it checks out.
>>
>>62246640
Nice counterpoint retard. And what, you're going to evaluate it? Yeah, right. Go back to ricing your Arch. Adults are talking.
>>
>me uses glorious archlinux
>one kernel version cannot into hibernation, the other cannot into suspend
>me still really likes it for being both up-to-date and somewhat stable
>me is left without internet for a month, so no updates for a whole month
>me reads news and runs pacman -Syu
>nm-applet is broken
>cannot suspend again
>me installs xubuntu
>installation process consists of clicking "next, next, ok, reboot"
>it just werks and has up-to-date software
>>
>>62245319
It's _extremely good_. The only genuine fault I can think of is that it uses systemd and related things. I switched to Void, which is faster and saner in regards to those things, but I miss the AUR, I miss the stability of Arch, I miss the archwiki being 100% applicable to my situation. I actually even miss systemd a bit, but I feel bad for even thinking this. Mainly I just miss knowing my system fairly well. Runit has given me some trouble, mostly with trying to setup mpd as a user service. On Arch it was as simple as
systemctl --user enable mpd
. The Void wiki is pretty barren, and I'm not qualified to fill it out. If Arch ditched systemd, I think I'd probably go back to it for sure.
>>
>>62245319
I know this is an Arch thread and not a KDE thread, but holy fuck the text on the clock in the OP pic is huge and ugly. It actually makes me giggle. What were they thinking?
>>
>>62246679
hahaha keep contradicting yourself and recommending security breach backdoor operating systems while railing about security. you fucking absolute mongoloid. LMAO
>>
>>62246623
>Systems is too difficult to evaluate due to its size and ever changing code.
>implying your fucking browser, a lot of programs in general, Xorg and the very linux kernel aren't like that

>. It's a giant single point of failure and/or exploitation
No as giant as the monolithic kernel, dummy.

> It is rumored to have been developed in conjunction with the NSA
Just like the fucking kernel and your very hardware
>>
>>62246705
its the old people desktop environment
>>
>>62245589
>Say one benefit
>"Benefit"
>Why would I want "Benefit"?
>>
>>62246705
I actually liked the clock size on KDE surprisingly, got really used to it and I still look for it all the time even though I don't use KDE anymore.

>>62246688
I'd swap to void but I'd miss the AUR so much, I think I'm arch with or without systemd for life.
>>
>>62246717
gnome is more retard friendly than KDE, MATE is the old people de
>>
>using Arch instead of Parabola
Justify yourself, retards.
>>
>>62246720
Yeah that guy is a brainlet, someone who needs it explained to them why up to date software is better doesn't need Arch.
>>
>>62246740
i was kidding, anon.
>>
>>62246757
not a freetard and actually like some proprietary softwares. if i was autistic enough for parabola i'd use gentoo instead
>>
>>62246740
>MATE is the old people de
I'm 19 and I find that out of the three DEs you mentioned MATE is the only useful one.
Is 19 considered old?
>>
>>62246773
>his OS exists owing to free software
>meh freetards
Typical archtard.
>>
>>62246776
If you like MATE then you should try Budgie.
>>
>>62246788
do i prefer free software? obviously. will I sacrifice the proprietary shit I like because muh freeeeeeeeee? no. typical freetard.
>>
>>62246757
I like systemd desu, it justwerkz.
>>
>>62246794
Budgie is made by some shady chinese company. You know shady chinese companies aren't exactly a friend of your freedom, right? Also, it uses the same retarded approach as gnome 3 - namely, panels and menu are done as an addon to wm and written in js - which effectively means that you will have to restart your whole fucking session completely if wm crashes.
>>62246808
Well you probably should, to help further develop free software. All proprietary shits that exist for gnu/linux have free alternatives nowadays.
>>
>>62246816
Parabola comes with systemd too. It also has an option of switching to openrc. Arch doesn't give its users the power to do so without messing with barely supported aur packages.
>>
>>62246848
>All proprietary shits that exist for gnu/linux have free alternatives nowadays.
not good ones, i didnt spend 900 dollars on my gpu to use shitty drivers made by a neet.

>>62246848
budgie is made by kevin
>>
>>62246866
Huh, I thought Ebola was the fully free focus one, or is that Void?
>>
>>62246883
Parabola is actually the fully free one. Void isn't bad too, the only peace of proprietary shit it includes are kernel blobs.
>>
>>62245403
Not an argument. At all.
>>
>>62246713
oh, ok. You're right.
>>
Arch is for brainlets who can't install Gentoo.
>>
>>62247005
hey man cmon this isn't a brainlet shaming thread..

>>62246995
yeah, i am, you say you hate systemd because it might possibly(lol) have backdoors then you say you're going to use manjaro which ACTUALLY had backdoors, do you not see how fucking ironic and stupid this is?
>>
>>62246972
What isn't? I've had servers up for months with no problems, in my experience, it is stable as fuck.
>>
File: 65mhcGA.jpg (60KB, 1000x922px) Image search: [Google]
65mhcGA.jpg
60KB, 1000x922px
>>
>>62247031
What you said has nothing to do with systemd.
>>
>>62247055
kek'd and checked

>>62247110
Because I wasn't talking about systemd, I was talking about stability, are you a brainlet?
>>
do people actually use arch unironically? why?
>>
>>62247018
You can't read very well and you used past tense regarding backdoors in Manjaro for a reason. Good luck with that reading thing.
>>
File: 1477831892032.jpg (81KB, 998x749px) Image search: [Google]
1477831892032.jpg
81KB, 998x749px
>>62245907
japanese school girls are an exception
>>
>>62246560
I have a small pinus myself so I can relate
>>
>>62247663
>even though systemd has no known and proven backdoors you should use the systemd free manjaro spin even though manjaro had known backdoors

One of these actually has had backdoors, you retarded cuck.
>>
>systemd
>>
>>62247802
Do tell more
>>
>>62245343
This. I don't know a single person in any professional field that uses or takes arch seriously.
>>
>>62247933
t. guy who works at mcdonalds
>>
>>62247940
Enterprises only use CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu or Debian. Any other distro is irrelevant.
>>
Geento users are just butthurting because arch is easy to install and has the better linux wiki out there.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-05_00-42-18.png (280KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-05_00-42-18.png
280KB, 1366x768px
>>62245319
Yup, shifted to arch yesterday. Setup networking, scripts to respond to keyboard shotcut keys, desktop, everything. Its a quite nice barebones OS, i love it. pacman is amazing, i previously used to use debian, and compared to apt+dpkg, pacman is so blazing fast. The AUR system is very nice too, i love it.
Also contrary to the popular belief, i didn't had to mess around with too many config files, everything was pretty much set up for me. Some laptop specific stuff had to be set up, but after that it was all smooth sailing

>ubuntufags who also don't know how to into linux
They're in the process of learning, dont hate them for that
>>
>>62248389
>They're in the process of learning, dont hate them for that
we don't hate them for that, we hate them because they sling shit at arch because they're too brainlet to use it
>>
>>62248042
Enterprises for that matter still use windows server 2008, for all their purposes. Imho they're a terrible example. Also we're not "enterprises", we are enthusiasts, we use what suits us, not whats mainstream or popular
>>
>>62245319
>have to rely on the aur for everything
no thanks

i use parabola
>>
>>62248477
>doesn't even have the aur when he needs it
kek have fun with ebola
>>
>>62248487
i just build shit myself

fuck having to rely on third party builds that will probably break your system
>>
>>62245319
>this whole thread
Are you all little insufferable babies? Are you really that childish you would indulge in distro-wars?
Do none of you realize, as long as the underlying kernel is linux you can make as many changes to the system as you want. You can configure the system to your exact preferences, yes that includes ubuntu as well since the kernel is STILL linux.
Distros are just different default settings that ship over the same kernel (maybe slightly different kernels like hardened, low-latency etc, but you get the point). That said, what you guys are basically fighting over is "my default settings are better than your default settings"
>>
>>62245319
I just can't be bothered installing Arch Linux yes it gives you a lot of control when you installing it but I'm too lazy to do that and I don't have the time
>>
>>62248525
>t. doesn't understand linux
Go uninstall systemd from your ubuntu installation linux genius
>>
>>62248544
install Antergos, all of the benefits, none of the bullshit(tm)
>>
>>62248525
>do all of this bullshit in a suboptimal distro
>install distro that suits your needs, has up to date kernel

don't get me started on init system
>sudo apt-get remove systemd??? wtf? it wont work? i thought all linux was the same!!
>>
>>62248567
Yeah well its possible, what you thought it wouldn't be? Just search on the internet, its very possible to replace the init system, without breaking the whole thing. People have been doing it for years
>>
Come on everyone calm down you could always dd everything the best thing to do is try different distributions of Linux in a VM and see which one you like the best that's the only way to really do it
>>
>>62245379
>implying learning a back end language and installing arch are close to the same difficulty level

nigga arch is easy, programming is hard
>>
>>62248628
>you could always dd everything
w-why would I dd everything? I'm not a mong.
>>
Because it sucks. It doesn't break X every other day like people here like to claim but it is plagued with millions of annoying little nuisances due to having no defaults whatsoever.
>>
File: smileanon.jpg (18KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
smileanon.jpg
18KB, 500x380px
>install arch because ubuntu was too bloated
>spend a few hours following a step by step installation guide
>read the wiki pages concerning relevant steps and spend a few extra hours
>next day I begin setting up my system with a WM etc.
>got it working in a few hours
>spend the rest of the day ricing because it's fun

That's it. Literally that is what I did to set up Arch as a Linux beginner and I can't complain. Now the only things that cost me time are some optional stuff like setting up ranger and vim but that's hardly related to Arch.

>decide to install Arch on my laptop, too
>be done in 30 minutes
>spend a few hours reading up on ACIP and network managers
>Got it running, too
>another few hours to copy / adjust my rice
>done

Honestly I don't think that manually typing in some commands is superior than a simple installation GUI because I did the same shit the program would do for me, but it's not the end of the world.
I don't understand why people think Arch is for neckbeards as it's easy to setup and just "werks". Even the AUR packages I first dreaded can be installed in 2 commands.

[spoiler] The only reason I choose Arch after Ubuntu is that I liked the logo. Fite me [/spoiler]
>>
>>62249096
I always like to read a post that has a cute anime image attached to it, even if it's a long post.
>>
>>62246848
>budgie
>chinese

That's Deepin, you retard!!!
>>
>>62247933
>what is embedded development
>what is single-purpose computing
>>
File: sadfrog2.jpg (35KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog2.jpg
35KB, 800x600px
>windows has been shit for at least 10 years but still rolled with it because the compatibility was needed (hardware/drivers/games/programs)
>finally fed up with microsoft's bullshitwith win10 and decide to become /free/
>read the websites of all the popular distros
>decide to go with arch because minimalism, building stuff yourself, rolling release and wiki
>need a linux degree? fuck that, I've written bootdisks and manually loaded drivers since MS-DOS 6.2
>load up a VM and start working on it
>bit of a rough start but I'm managing, nothing can't handle with the help of the wiki
>a week passes, install it a few times, try out multiple methods of dual-booting, bootloaders, WMs, DEs, shells, etc, etc.
>got the most basic things down, decided on all the programs I want to use for the most common purposes
>time to get serious
>make some free space on my SDD,
>got all the stuff that's not in my head, like windows entry in the bootloader written down, so I can do the whole thing without internet until DE is set up
>boot up arch from USB stick, screen instantly freezes during initialization
>well shit, that was quick
>not too much known about it on the web, apparently arch doesn't like my graphics card and you can bypass it by using commands like nomodeset on the menu entries
>still hangs directly after booting
>apparently arch doesn't like my logitech keyboard either
Guess my arch adventure remains a short one and I'll stay microsoft's fuccboi for a few years longer.
>>
>>62245319
Solus has had kernel 4.13 for a few hours now and arch is still on 4.12

archfags BTFO
>>
>>62245319
>>Newest version of everything

except the kernel
>>
>>62245319
That firefox logo gave me cancer
>>
>>62251600
>shit that never happened for $500

sounds like your usb was fucked up at worst
arch boot media will almost never fuck up. The only graphics cards I've seen that had problems were the cheap as fuck cherry trail iGPUs when those things were new
and keyboard causing it to crash, laughable. You sure you weren't holding the pause key or something?
>>
>>62252133
I've done other installs with the same USB stick without issues, it's fine.

Yet the system always froze at "'triggering uevents" on my machine. And graphic cards or keyboards causing this seems to be the most common issue for others that had it.

>You sure you weren't holding the pause key or something?
You trying to bait or something?
>>
>>62245464
my hybrid graphics work straight out of the box. so did my WiFi. what hardware do u have?
>>
>>62245319
Screentearing I've never been able to troubleshoot effectively. Only happens on Arch, no matter what DE or WM I use. Tried all the wiki suggestions and nothing worked. Happens with both open source and proprietary drivers.
>>
>>62245319
Arch would be perfect if they would switch to runit instead of systemd.
>>
>>62248525
ITT: Ubuntu users get mad
>>
if arch is so good then why cant I connect to my router 192.168.0.1?

i could do it on windows
>>
>>62252629
>uses wifi
Buddy..
>>
I'm feeling like a hacker just because I managed to install the Arc theme on Ubuntu yesterday.
I'm too far away from installing Arch, I tried once but failed miserably.
>tfw you will never fix your Arch install by reading the Arch Wiki
>>
>>62245319
>300 MB of updates every other day
no thanks
>>
File: 1488039250343.jpg (27KB, 433x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488039250343.jpg
27KB, 433x480px
>>62245319
>kernel panic
>>
>>62254168
>he doesn't know this can happen on any unix-like OS
>anime poster
checks out
>>
>>62245329
>>62245706
>>62245738
>How do I get a nice screenfetch without my Virtual Machine taking up space.
I have close to 2000 packages and I trim bloat off well. That's because I use my install for actual work.

I'd have close to 10K packages on Debian though because apt's autoremove doesn't fucking work.
>>
>>62250436
>embedded development
Yeah, you really want a rolling release distro on your embedded devices.
Why would Arch be particularly suited for embedded anyway?
A minimal Arch installation is larger than a minimal Debian or Ubuntu.
>>
>>62245464
pacman -S nvidia
pacman -S bumblebee
pacman -S primus
gpasswd -a username bumblebee
Systemctl start/enable bumblebee
Primusrun shittygame
>>
>>62254494
but i wouldn't have to do any of this shit on ubuntu cuz it'd juztwerk, stop trying to justify your autistOS
>>
>>62245319
>Linux
>Desktop
BAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>62254595
3% marketshare and gaining white BOI
>>
>>62245319
> tumbleweed has newer versions of everything than arch
> superior german engineering
> SLE deployed in industry
> best OS OOTB
> automatic nightly testing
> con: systemd but perfection has its price
>>
>>62254630
you know linux DT marketshare is growing because less people own PCs today, right?
>>
>>62254595
>almost a full % ahead of macOS
lmbo, are applefags even trying anymore?
>>
>>62254802
That's the point, they aren't. People are buying more mobile devices and tablets, less PCs.
We'll end up winning by attrition
>>
>>62254839
>winning by attrition
Still winning
>>
>>62254780
So the DT marketshare will go back to being tech literate people? Good.
>>
>>62245385
>Do you really need bleeding edge?
That's a common misconception. Arch isn't bleeding edge they ship stuff when upstream ships stuff. If upstream puts out a stable release then so does Arch. You can only find unstable stuff (such as -git packages) on the AUR.
>Whats with all the Archfags asking questions on how to do simple task X then?
No idea, I never have any problems on Arch except of my own volition. Maybe these anons are a little braindead?
>Why dont you use LFS then mister Linux guru?
Why build your own OS when others have build a perfectly damn good one for you. I admit LFS could be good for a learning experience though. Much better than any distro will teach you.
>Nice argument
I agree
>But Arch has SystemD?
Why don't you want the D?
>>
For those who don't like system D, isn't it possible to switch to a different init system on Arch, or is it part of Arch in such a way that switching will make the rest of Arch break in some way?
>>
using it for 2 years now
2 years ago since i installed system, never reinstalled it
how long can it last?
>>
>>62258257
It's possible, and not very difficult.
>>
>>62258291
forever if you take good care of her, anon
>>
>>62252722
I installed arch on a VM first to try it out and see what the fuss was all about.
The instructions for the core install are straightforward. It takes a little digging around to understand some parts but you just follow the links on the wiki. You have to be familiar with the basics of using the command line.
Just need to be patient the first time, take it slow and read everything relevant do not just skip through.

The time consuming part is what you do after the core installation process.
I've spent more than 2 weeks trying out different DEs, figuring out how to write a script to automate backups with rsync, setting up GPU passthrough with KVM+QEMU, and exploring different programs.

Ended up settling with arch since I don't have to worry about migrating until I change my motherboard.
Something about starting with a small install with nothing but the cli and working your way up installing precisely what you want relatively quickly is satisfying.
The arch wiki has been thorough and insightful.
>>
I'll be back when they remove systemd.
>>
>>62259727
You can remove it yourself though
>>
one thing i fucking hate about arch is that nothing ever seems to make it out of the AUR
>>
>>62245319
Doesn't work on my laptop. The wireless card doesn't work with it
>>
>>62261011
try new kernel
>>
>>62261201
if you're too brainlet for conf files then install antergos or manjaro
>>
>>62261138
Nah I'll just switch to a new distro instead because arch has given me nothing but headaches and time wasted
>>
>>62261298
no distro will help you if you're full brainlet my dude
>>
>>62261311
There are plenty of distros that ACTUALLY just werk
>>
>>62261288
There's nothing "brainlet" about it, it's a waste of time.
>>
>>62261359
>setting my system up the way i like it all at once is a waste of time, i'd rather do it slowly over 3 months and be constantly annoyed at shit not being how i like it
Not to mention that Antergos/Manjaro are as justwerks or more than ubuntu and mint.
>>
>>62261384
>i'd rather do it slowly over 3 months and be constantly annoyed at shit not being how i like it
I'm not a 300 pound homosexual anime-watching NEET so after a few hours the day of a fresh install everything IS set up the way I want it, and it won't break or become deprecated the second I decide I want to install a new program that wasn't included in my original "le rice".
>>
>glibc
>systemd
nope
>>
>>62261462
You strike me as more of a mac user, are you too poor to buy one?
>>
>>62261480
I've had several. Debian just werks. I'm not an autistic loser so I don't feel the need to install a hobbyist's OS to do actual work on.
>>
File: 1504499447694.png (69KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1504499447694.png
69KB, 512x512px
>>62261564
Except you literally just admitted you tried and failed to install arch then gave up, now that you've realized you're too dumb to run it it's a "NEET os for autistic losers" lmao please.
>>
>>62261692
Luke quit being a fucking autist and leave your parents basement
>>
File: 1492298881371.jpg (135KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
1492298881371.jpg
135KB, 400x550px
>>62245319
Because I want to actually use my computer rather than rice it (which can be done with any distro anyway) with pictures of anime girls and sit around circlejerking in desktop threads. Some of us have lives and jobs.
>>
>>62261731
>he says as he posts on the desktop thread board of an anime website
>>
>>62245319
Installing everything from shell sucks ass and I'm a lazy fuck
>>
File: 1494719619461.png (10KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1494719619461.png
10KB, 645x773px
>>62261718
If you'd been able to complete the (easy lol) installation instructions and been on arch right now, would that make you a "300 pound homosexual anime-watching NEET" or would you be exempt from the rule because 'reasons'? You're really living up to the brainlet title here.
>>
>>62261692
Where did I admit I "tried and failed" to install Arch? I used Arch as my daily driver for 2 years starting in 2012. Coincidentally, I was also a loser with no job so I had plenty of time to rice out my sick desktop for hacker cred.
>>
>>62245853
And only YOUR distro uses the latest kernel? Who knew! Pack it all in, fellas, arch is the superior linux now and we can all stop using other distros and switch.
>>
>>62246040
Have you heard of GIMP
>>
>>62246023
>uses an OS that started due to the idea of freedom
>"lol who the fuck cares about freedom XD

You need to shoot yourself in the fucking head immediately. I don't even believe you use Linux and probably are a Winblows cuck stirring up shit. Because if you give zero fucks about freedom then there is no reason to even use Linux at all. You may as well install the convenient and more universal botnet OS if freedom is something you find so laughable.
>>
>>62261739
>he says not knowing 4chan isn't an anime site and that 4chan, like the very Jap sites that influenced it, was made to discuss a variety of different things with anime simply being one of them
>>
File: 1504575341328.png (12KB, 880x131px) Image search: [Google]
1504575341328.png
12KB, 880x131px
>>62262025
anime website
>>
File: 1499228364755.png (324KB, 1054x748px) Image search: [Google]
1499228364755.png
324KB, 1054x748px
>>62262032
>>
>>62262096
anime website
>>
>>62262096
/g/ is the technology containment board on the anime website, 4chan.
>>
>>62262101
I just provided proof that it wasn't. Or do I need to give you a refresher on how from day 1 when moot and his ADTRW buddies made the site, FYAD anime haters also swooped in and so there has always been a variety of people here (hence the creation of /b/ and other non-weeb boards) since the very beginning? But keep believing the lie, weeb. Not even the fucking Japanese sites of 2chan and 2ch focused on anime.
>>
>>62262129
you're on the technology board of an anime website, made for anime fans to discuss technology with other anime fans
if you don't like that fact, then you can leave
>>
>>62262032
Oh and that says Japanese culture, not "anime". Or do you think Japanese culture is only anime?
>>
>>62262144
anime website
>>
>>62262136
I have been here since 2005. Your retarded weeb ass can fuck off. Nobody thinks 4chan is an anime site except for newfags who haven't been around long enough to see its origins from SA and the original communities that created it.
>>
>>62262155
anime website
Thread posts: 274
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.