[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you think this book was on the mark when it was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: uhh-cover[1].gif (191KB, 400x508px) Image search: [Google]
uhh-cover[1].gif
191KB, 400x508px
How much do you think this book was on the mark when it was first released in 1994? How much of its complaints do you think are still applicable today? What would you amend it with if you could?

For those who are out of the loop, enjoy: http://simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf
>>
>>62225082
>the best of unix haters mailing list

post pdf plz
>>
>>62225082
>As for me? I switched to the Mac. No more grep, no more piping, no more SED scripts. Just a simple, elegant life: “Your application has unexpectedly quit due to error number –1. OK?
heh
>>
>>62225082
It's still relevant now.
The section about LISP machines being replaced with dodgy unix boxen seem particularly relevant as an allegory to the current systemd debarcle.
>>
>>62225082
>Simson Garfinkel
Man, I love Bridge Over Turbulent Waters and The Sound of Quiet
>>
>>62225157
The pdf is linked in the OP, the book is about 300 pages long so you'll have plenty of entertainment to look forward to in there
>>
>>62225185
The programming parts have managed to stay especially relevant, IIRC C++ added namespaces about a year after the book came out (one of its big complaints) but all the parts about problems and opportunity cost just from the sheer difficulty of processing C++ code continue to haunt us today

Also I know someone will get pissed off at this but I love how the book keeps finding opportunities to take jabs at C/C++ for their lack of garbage collection
>>
>>62225196
This is the most /mu/ post I've seen on /g/, and I don't just mean because of the reference.
>>
>>62225082
It was spot on.
>>
>>62225082
The FFS is only used by BSD and have no bugs aside shitty consistency (and usually pointless) check that can be skipped. Usenet is also dead.
The only enjoyable part is the anti-foreword. Everything else is just an odd rant from the past. Some can be fun or relevant if you are retarded.
>>
>>62225082
> How much of its complaints do you think are still applicable today?
Still applicable. Still helps with trolling. Many experienced people will recognize it and call you out, however the rest will react in a great way.
>>
>>62225082
Unix must dead, Better solutions had come on OS,but Unix compatibility is back it.
>>
Are the authors Jewish?
>>
Three kikes talking shit about unix.

Sounds about right.
>>
>>62225082
It's a piece of the old philosophical argument between the New Jersey's "worse is better" and MIT's "the right thing" schools of thought.
http://doc.cat-v.org/programming/worse_is_better
>>
>>62225196
wew
>>
>>62225082
>How much of its complaints do you think are still applicable today?
I didn't check every single one of them, but some will possibly never be out of date, like * messing things up in the shell if you have files that look like valid switches.

Still, it was one of the funniest books I've read.
>>
it's all about cruft that was glued onto unix by berkeley and companies. so it's not really about unix proper.

perhaps plan 9 would be more to the satisfaction of the authors.
>>
>>62225082
>C++ Is to C as Lung Cancer Is to Lung

Pretty funny book just by glancing over it... pretty /g/ despite shitting on unix.
>>
>>62225082
>http://simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf
thanks for posting this, the table of contents made me already laughing
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.