[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

give me a quick rundown on drivers and how they differ from NVidea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: amd-radeon-settings.jpg (102KB, 1368x871px) Image search: [Google]
amd-radeon-settings.jpg
102KB, 1368x871px
give me a quick rundown on drivers and how they differ from NVidea and AMD Radeon
>>
>>62196404
Radeon Settings is a fantastic program, while Nvidia's control panel is 2008-tier horseshit.

Nvidia forces you to sign up to use their equivalent Geforce Experience, which doesn't have the same functionality that Radeon Settings provides for free. You still can't control tessellation limits with Nvidia products, and they won't let you for the purpose of nefarious competition practices against AMD.

I actually regret spending $150 for a 1050Ti compared to $130 for a 4GB Radeon 560, regardless of the performance differences. Nvidia's user control is just that bad.
>>
>>62196404
nvidia got bad drivers now
amd is just slow at implementing drivers, but when they do they are good
and radeon settings are fucking great, you don't need fraps or afterburner or fps limiter - it's all included
all they need to do is add on screen display of monitoring this software does like afterburner and it's golden
>>
Can confirm Radeon settings is based as fuck. Slick, quick, modern, it jus twerks. Nvidia drivers look like they're from windows 7 Era or even xp, don't offer near the same settings and GeForce experience is garbage gamer tier shit. Also, Radeon at least includes SOME overclocking/fan tweaking software, on Nvidia you HAVE to use afterburner or similar
Nvidia drivers typically are much more optimized for their hardware much sooner, amd typically gets more in the long run
>>
>>62196628
>while Nvidia's control panel is 2008-tier horseshit
yeah I never understood why it's so mid 00s. even hovering over options for description is broken.

i'd like to go back to owning a Radeon, but why did they release Fury, followed by 2 generations of mid range cards, followed by another Fury (Vega)? it's either paying out the ass for mediocre performance because it's the best consumer-tier product in the lineup, or paying even more for Vega. i really don't want to give any more money to Nvidia, but goddamn.
>>
>>62196404
You don't need to touch the Control Panel with Nvidia at all.
>>
>>62196836
>You don't need to touch the Control Panel with Nvidia at all
can you add custom resolution with geforce experience?
can you change the color settings with it?
rotate display?
any more complex setting than what resolution you stream on the internet?
>>
>>62196937
No, Goyforce Expirience is borderline useless sans Shadowplay.
Kudos to AMD for making a proper driver suite that doesn't look like something straight out of 2003.
>>
>>62196937
Use a dedicated software for this, why do you even want to do this when this will reset every driver update.
>>
File: 1440305009305.png (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1440305009305.png
53KB, 1000x1000px
>>62196956
>lel just use a third party app that may or may not overwrite your driver settings
how about no
>>
>>62196628
>>62196668
>>62196768
Desperate AMD shills in full force
>>
>>62196404

As a user of both, let me share my thoughts

Radeon driver:

pros:
>not botnet
>defaults to 0-255 full color range
>doesn't need a facebook/google account to update drivers
>takes 3 seconds to launch control panel window

cons:
>screen recorder can't record specific monitor if you are dual monitor setup

Nvidia drivers:

pros:
>

cons:
>need to login with facebook/google account to update drivers
>takes 20 seconds to launch control panel window
>defaults to 16-235 limited color range which results in washed out color and garbage contrast
>telemetry that can't be turned off
>new drivers every time a new game comes out or if an already existing game gets an update
>>
>>62197293
Not true
>takes 20 seconds to launch control panel window
Ditto, it takes maybe two or three seconds
>defaults to 16-235 limited color range which results in washed out color and garbage contrast
M-muh HDMI I'm too stupid to flip one setting
>new drivers every time a new game comes out or if an already existing game gets an update
That you don't have to install
>>
How do i into AMD drivers on Linux?
>>
>>62197293
This is buuuuulshit
>>62197326
Trash
>>
>>62196404
>give me a quick rundown on drivers and how they differ from NVidea and AMD Radeon

You dont need waiting™ the drivers with Nvidia.
>>
>>62197293
>>need to login with facebook/google account to update drivers
What was meant by this ?
>>
>>62197326
GCN cards use amdgpu driver and older cards use radeon driver.
There's also the proprietary amdgpu-pro driver, but on any reasonably modern distro (Ubuntu 17.x, Fedora 26, Arch, Tumbleweed) the free driver with mesa 17 beats the proprietary one.
On user-friendly distros it's usually installed by default; on Arch make sure xf86-video-amdgpu and mesa are installed. (xf86-video-ati for the older radeon driver).
Vulkan works too and I got almost double FPS on Talos Principle compared to OpenGL. You need the vulkan loader and AMD vulkan drivers which are also packaged by distros - the package names differ across distros so you'll have to find them yourself.
>>
>>62197387
>>62197306
>>62197340

well, ok. You can also create an Nvidia online account, but you still need one to update your fucking drivers from Nvidia Control Panel which is stupid

Have fun getting your data sold to advertising agencies anyway
>>
>>62197326
mainly by not getting the wrong card. my very limited experience:
390 - never been able to get this card stable on either radoeon or amdgpu(,-pro) drivers. fglrx did work, but that is more or less abandonware by now. bug has been open for 2 years now, no fix in sight: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91880
480 - just works on any recent kernel (4.8+ iirr)
>>
>>62197403
>>62197600
Im on the latest mesa from padoka PPA. Didnt install anything else. The GPU is RX 470. I have one problem. mpv performance is very bad compared to Windows.
>>
>>62196937
Windows lets you do this natively
Why would you need that
>>
File: 1504258068290.jpg (83KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
1504258068290.jpg
83KB, 979x832px
>>62196404
>Go from amd to Nvidia
How can one company fuck up driver software so hard? If amd can do it well, then why is it so fucking hard for nvidia.

If you're in the market for a gpu, wait for amd, even for software alone.
>>
>>62197631
You have to set hardware acceleration in mvp correctly.
vdpau works well with AMD cards, but you need to install the mesa vdpau drivers.
>>
>>62197748
>You have to set hardware acceleration in mvp correctly
Are you the anon from yesterday?
>>
>>62197706
>can you add custom resolution with geforce experience?
>Windows lets you do this natively
show me how
I'll wait
>>
>>62196628
So much this.
I want from a 290X to 1070 and I haven't had a Nvidia card for the past 10 years or so and I was shocked that the software was exactly the same.
Plus hardware acceleration fucks up on browsers with this card for some reason after an update a few months ago.

I usually don't upgrade my PC often but I'm thinking of getting the Vega 64 just for the software.
>>
>>62197748
mpv expert here. Youre wrong.
>>
>>62196404
Radeon settings is a little sluggish at times, but it works well and is easy to use, everything is where you expect it to be
Nvidia control panel is a complete clusterfuck that barely works and their botnet experience forces you to sign up and also doesn't work that well
>>
>>62196404
Nvidia makes drivers actually
AMD doesn't care
>>
>>62197326
Install the free drivers
That's it
>>
>>62198038
I dont need to install them in Ubuntu, right?
>>
>>62197816
Geeze
I have a factory overclocked 290 that does about as well as a 480
Reading something like that just makes me want to Wait™ even longer
>>
AMD interface > Nvidia interface
>>
>>62196827
>yeah I never understood why it's so mid 00s. even hovering over options for description is broken.
Because real enthusiasts use nvidia Inspector.
>>
>>62196404
Nvidia has them, AMD doesn't.
>>
>>62196836
>You don't need to touch the Control Panel with Nvidia at all.
I use it to put the card in "high performance" for power, and 3d. that's about it though, and /g/ told me that I had to make an account for drivers which was a lie. I fucking can't stand all the amd shills that somehow became a loud minority on /g/.
>>
>>62201107
That's just how things are on /g/. The vocal minority "rule". Hence why we have a lot of amd thinkpad ubuntu shitters.
>>
>>62201156
Kys CIA nigger.
>>
>>62201171
I'll donate another botnet drum kit, don't fucking make me cunt.
>>
>>62201156
>vocal mnority rule
>thinkpad
>..shitter
You really need a trip, so I could just filter you from now on.
>>
>>62201233
Feel free to disagree with anything I said, but you know it to be true which is why you'd rather filter me. It' easier to maintain that echo chamber huh.
>>
>>62201263
>but you know it to be true which is why you'd rather filter me.
Nothing you said was true though. I'd like to filter you along with the rest of the morons, so please use a trip.
>>
>migrosert wendys
navodia: god
amud: bad
itnel: ok
>linus
nevada: good
adm pro: poo
misa: veri gud
>>
>>62198027
AMD cares enough to open source their driver, which means that amdgpu+radeonsi is actually a thing on linux now (and has better performance than AMD's official drivers)
>>
>>62196628
Switched from a GTX 970 in my passthrough to a fury.
Sick of the shit nvidia pulls.

Can I just get a card without anti user bullshit or a card buffered against said anti user bullshit?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.