[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, grant me the power to go full linux. Windows is pretty shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: download (3).jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
7KB, 300x168px
/g/, grant me the power to go full linux.
Windows is pretty shit and i've seen the light.
Also i'm starting CS this upcoming semester, any tips?
>>
Just do it mate, it's not that hard. You can always go back if you don't like it.
>>
Don't fall for the meme that is Ubuntu. If you want a justwerkz distro get Fedora, but I highly recommend starting with a preconfigured Arch like Antergos, then learning as you go since archwiki is the most comprehensive knowledge base for an OS in existence.
>>
>>62195360
If you like tinkering I can seriously recommend gentoo, it's a very stable system and the support irc is great. Only con: New software takes a while to install, if you need a video editor for example you have to wait about an hour until its ready to use.
No tinkering: Mint. Easy as that. Dualbooting everything is also an option, of course
>>
>>62195360
The genkidama is literally the greatest and best ki blast in the history of gay Chinese cartoon ki blast, you can't prove me wrong.
>>
go stable not rolling. give a look at OpenSUSE. This is my gnome os leap
>>
>linux for study
dont fall for this meme

mac or windows or nothing

trust me your professors will ask for a certain format and you won't be able to hand your shit in
>>
>>62195360
Solus, KDE Neon, openSUSE, Void, Fedora, Arch(use Arch Anywhere)
Any of those will do, just pick whatever you like
>>
File: Fork20-17-25.png (416KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Fork20-17-25.png
416KB, 768x1024px
>>62197522
>trust me your professors will ask for a certain format and you won't be able to hand your shit in

even CS majors?
>>
>>62197522
If your uni is asking for anything but pdf you should probably drop out
>>
>>62197975

You can run pretty much any Microsoft product through a browser now, so that's a moot point
>>
>>62195360
Just download Ubuntu from the Windows store.
>>
>>62202451
Monster
>>
Just install some easy shit that just werks. Any Ubuntu flavour (I like Xubuntu but it needs tweaking to look pretty), Mint if you're into that. Debian, Fedora, anything noob friendly.

Don't wipe out your Windows boot, install alongside (easy as clicking a button in most major distros)

This isn't so you can use the Windows boot. It's so you actually install Linux in the first place because if you have to replace Windows you'll be scared and never do it. But I guarantee you you'll never boot into that Windows OS again. It'll just be there as a safety net.

Unless you're a gamer fag. You'll boot into it then.
>>
>>62197522
You know libreoffice is a thing, right? Microsoft Office can also be used in a browser if you really must use Word.
>>
>>62197522
>being unable to format a simple text file
Long as it's comprehensible I doubt any instructor cares what program shit it out.
>>
>Justwerks tier
Ubuntu (+variants)
Fedora
Solus
Mint

>Production server (old stable packages) tier
Debian
CentOS
RHEL if you need support and have shekels

>Asperger's tier
Gentoo
Slackware
Source Mage

>Skiddie/ricefag tier
Arch
Kali install that isn't a live USB for occasional use
>>
>>62195360
Just use Ubuntu like everyone else. Sure there are other noob friendly distros but Ubuntu is the most popular and software companies usually Target and package for Ubuntu.
>>
>>62195360
If there's any possibility you might need some windows only program in the near future, consider dual boot.
If you need windows, it's just a simple matter of rebooting and waiting 4 hours for windows updates to finish.
defrag windows before partitioning and disable fast boot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.