[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with consumer routers for /g/? I understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1449955297221.jpg (522KB, 1000x833px) Image search: [Google]
1449955297221.jpg
522KB, 1000x833px
What's wrong with consumer routers for /g/?
I understand to a layman but I keep seeing people here unironically advocating for the purchase of routers that charge more because of good support.

Are we too intelligent here to buy a cheap router and install alt. firmware and a package manager to update the packages quicker than any company will roll them out?
>>
File: linksys-li-WRT1200AC-1.jpg (72KB, 600x317px) Image search: [Google]
linksys-li-WRT1200AC-1.jpg
72KB, 600x317px
Just bought a Linksys WRT1200AC and plan on installing DD-WRT or whatever else is the most stable.
How badly did I fuck up?
>>
>>62162646
Hey. not bad. It's cheap.
The beauty of not being tech-stupid is that mostly anything works and can be good.
>>
>>62162690
I'm a bit concerned about the WiFi signal strength and distance. Some reviews claimed that the distance is rather bad, while others said the opposite.
Can you still increase the TX power in custom firmware?
>>
>>62162720
Yes, I wouldn't know specifically for this model though.
>>
Why are all good routers ugly af?
>>
>>62162778
>8 legged spider alien
>ugly
Get your taste checked m8

>>62162588
Are there even cheap routers with support for 3rd party firmwares?
>>
>>62162807
>gaymen aesthetic
>anything but disgustingly gaudy
>>
Tplink archer c7 v2 has been a great router for me. Flashed openwrt and only open the router interface once a year to check for updates, all just werks
>>
>>62162807
Pretty much all routers can be supported. It's only about third party support for that router. Not so much so once you get down to package managers, they're univeral and dependent on processor architecture only. They sometimes come with the firmware.
I use a Netgear R6400 $100 USD with Tomato by shibby firmware and I installed entware and used it to update the (albeit only a couple months) old packages.
It's worth noting that even poor, outdated third party support is made alright with the ability to install package managers. You yourself can update vulnerable packages and expand functionality and if you have ever used Linux it's a walk in the park. I have a DNS Sinkhole installed in my router for example, basically the same this pi-hole does.
>>
>>62163154
(clarification) entware is a package manager, you can install it as a separate unit, not sure if i was clear
>>
>>62162588
oh shit, I've seen that thing in strike witches
>>
No hardware offloading is probably the biggest issue.
Most also don't have enough cpu powah to run openvpn.
>>
>>62163222

As far as specs go one should theoretically not be dumb enough to buy a router that can't handle openvpn for their use-case if they want to use it, but it seems like you have a more intense load in mind than most households.
For my use-case of around 20 devices active my 100 usd 800mhz dual core ARM router handles quite a few services including openvpn just fine.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.