[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

*ubuntu >everything JUST WERKS >you literally never h

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

*ubuntu
>everything JUST WERKS
>you literally never have to use command line, though you can
>DEs are nicely preconfigured and ready to work
>everything is nicely preconfigured and ready to werk
>fresh software
>likely to update automagically
>most popular distro, so any problem is easily fixed by googling
>to install vlc you just type "apt -y install vlc" or use your mouse to install it from software center

Gentoo:
>to install vlc you fucking create a config file where you put USE flags for all desired codecs, otherwise VLC will be installed without them, you may also need to recompile half of your system
>absolutely retarded and relatively small community
>more likely to break on update
>WILL break if you don't update every month
>they didn't update a vulnerable version of firefox for a couple of weeks once, due to fucking bureaucracy
>nothing is preconfigured
>you also need to compile every program on your own computer for no real reason
>you are likely to need to recompile some already installed programs when you install a new one, because thay had some features disabled by default for no obvious reason
>if you, say, want to install the whole xfce environment, you install all the programs one by one, because there is no package like "xfce4-goodies".
>it is FUCKING VULNERABLE TO MITM IN 2017 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=597804 notice how it's importance is rated as "normal")
>though being vulnerable to MITM it has a "hardened" version which shows us how retarded the community is
>does not release a livedvd on regular basis
>at least until recently, its minimal install CD didn't even support efi
>portage is the most complicated GNU/linux package manager to ever exist
>portage is broken beyond repair
>>
Arch:
>again, you configure a lot of things manually, though more is done automatically than on Gentoo
>community is retarded, though not as much as that of Gentoo
>software is too fresh
>more likely to break on update than Gentoo
>claims itself to be KISS but uses systemd
>>
Arch users:
>too busy getting stuff done

OP:
>whines on chinese cartoon imageboard
>>
ok who cares?
>>
>>62160251
Arch is comfy, only brainlets trash it on /g/
>>
>installing vlc when mpv exists
>not outsourcing your compilations to your server farm
>thinking gentoo breaks itself
your pleb is showing, OP
>>
Opensuse/fedora:
>do not support even basic media formats without third-party repos
>installing proprietary drivers is hard and also requires third-party repos
>users of these are basically guinea pigs of novell and redhat
>>
>>62160292
>>
>>62160308
I want to like MPV but it's too minimal for me and I can't figure out how to change the volume in the app, it runs and seeks faster than vlc but for now I've settled on dragonplayer
>>
>>62160247
Linux DEs are shit. If you want something that actually is user friendly, get a mac or Windows
>>
>>62160337
Literally who does shit like this happen to? You'd have to be really retarded not to be able to manage running a stable Arch install. I'm starting to think it's either guys who don't use linux/never used arch or envious ubuntu users making these threads and comments.

t. guy who has had the same stable arch install running for 5 years
>>
>>62160342
>proprietary malware
>>
>>62160292
>includes proprietary shits
>comfy
>>
>>62160338
Youre beyond help. Try windows media player 11.
>>62160349
Pacman breaks shit all the time. Ca-certificates broke a few months ago requiring manual intervention. Wish i ditched arch years ago
>>
>>62160381
I'm using linux, I like MPV it's just too minimal for me, too many options are hidden.
>>
>>62160381
>shitty program doesn't work properly and isn't user friendly
>the user is beyond help
>>
>>62160381
>Shilling memepv
vlc is superior in literally every way.
>>
>>62160432
juss install both numbnuts
>>
>>62160337
Nigga I run arch with openrc on my laptop and I've never had pacman break something. I don't get this meme, arch just werks
>>
File: 1483244290006.jpg (72KB, 553x746px) Image search: [Google]
1483244290006.jpg
72KB, 553x746px
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>62162491
>you need to read a whole article to just fucking install it
>you need to read another two-three articles if you want e.g. lvm
>just werks
>>
File: 1494719619461.png (10KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1494719619461.png
10KB, 645x773px
>>62162223
>just install 2 programs that do the exact same thing when one of them covers everything and does it better
>>
>>62160313
>Novell
Fucking hell, you really have been living under a rock. SUSE hasn't been a subsidiary of Novell for almost 10 years.
>>
>>62160247
Manjaro + xfce = pretty good OS
>>
>>62160247
So is the hardened version immune to MITM?
>>
>>62160247
>he can't configure gentoo properly
>>
>>62164449
Wait, what?
Not him btw
>>
>>62160247
Manjaro on thinkpad x240 :

>install
>everything works out of box
>trackpoint works nice
>trackpad works nice
>battery life is longer than windows
>With AUR install everything without compiling myself
IT JUST FUCKING WORKS

Shitbuntu and Shitbuntu variations :

>Trackpoint not working and trackpad
>shitty battery life
>spend hours and hours to configure
>nothing happens
>wreck my fucking system

Fedora on thinkpad x240:

>nothing fucking works
>want to kill myself with shitty battery life

Solus on thinkpad x240
>trackpoint and trackpad are working
>want to kill myself with shitty battery life

Manjaro is best Distro and I understund why is popular in distrowatch.
>>
Ubuntu doesn't "just work" at all. Its shitty out of date software means that you're inevitably going to end up having to install a ton of PPAs. That means searching online to find them, just like with shitty Windows. Then once you have all these PPAs installed, Ubuntu starts becoming a horribly unstable mess.

Arch is a lot better. It just works, it's rock solid stable, very customisable and you learn a lot.
>>
>>62164803
When shit "works out of the box" it means theres extra shit baked into the kernel (read:bloat). Why arch+arch-lite fags are so vocal and shitty i'll never know.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.