[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who in their right mind would become a game programmer or a game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

Who in their right mind would become a game programmer or a game developer in general?

>shitty hours
>no guarantee of success
>wasting skills in an industry where you can be making a lot more for easier work

Only madmen do that occupation
>>
>>62159348
More like only autists do that occupation. I bet a lot of them think they'll eventually become the next Gaben or Notch.
>>
It's fun testing your software for the first 20 out of 2000 hours.
>>
>>62159369
There's a time when video game dev stops being creative
>>
>>62159348
Something like half of the people who go into programming do it cause when they were teenagers they thought "Hey, I can make VIDYA GAEMS!", and CS is a parent-approved college subject and career path, so its a convenient choice for someone who deep down doesn't really want to be doing all this adult crap like going to college or getting a job.

Big companies know exactly how this works so they can hire developers, put them in white-collar sweatshops till they burn out in a year or two, and then hire fresh ones. They know there'll be a fresh supply of new ones every year so they can chew them up and spit them out.
>>
>be typical semi old fag devops meme bro
>decide working at epic games would be cool beana
>apply and without any typical HR screening call or initial interview, get sent complex take home test with multiple issues to solve. Some theoretical algorithm stuff and some practical Linux/scripting stuff
>send back in test, all solved and well documented
>never hear from them again
>not a fucking peep
>not even a thanks for wasting 8 hours on this we'll let you know

It was then I knew better than to ever pursue the games industry again.
>>
maybe people who love games
>>
>>62159348
>shitty hours

These jobs are usually salary-based.

>no guarantee of success

That goes for everything else. Startups are always risky. Working in a well-established company is better.
>>
>>62159895
>shitty hours
Yes they're salary based, but you'll be pulling 10 hours a day outside of crunch, and 16 hours days during crunch and weekends too.
>>
>>62159348
designing good netcode for a game sounds fun but all the 3d engine stuff is a big no thanks

as for game developers in general, it seems like a good route for artists to take because they really don't have too many other paying venues
seems like a lot of small/medium developers have artists doing some of the programming anyway, there isn't room for single taskers
>>
>>62159826
Lel they probably took ur code bro I never do anything longer than an hour ahha dude sorry tho forreal.
>>
>>62159826
This is actually very common practice.
Put out a fake hiring ad and get some random applicant to pump out quality code they were planning to get from some fiver pajeet anyway, but FOR FREE.
>>
>>62159682
This. Games industry is notorious for this kind of exploitation, worst in the whole tech industry by far, and it's been going ever since publishers were exploiting bedroom programmers and Atari weren't letting people put their names on things. Ain't gonna change.

Indies can either be a bit better, or among the very worst.
>>
>>62159348
The skill sets for developing games are far more diverse than 'pure' programming and just as different as an embedded programmer is from a web dev. The industry does have dubious practices and culture for sure, but if you like vidya and have a more creative approach to work, and have some scripting/programming ability, game development will be a far better fit than application programming.
>>
>>62160931
Most vidya devs are not competent programmers, they cobble together other people's frameworks until something resembling a game can be shipped out and shat out on steam greenlight.
>>
>>62159895
>>These jobs are usually salary-based.
Thats what makes it bad, working 80 hours a week on 40 hours of pay.
>>
>>62159682
Had tons of these people in CS programme i enrolled in. Here in yuropoor CS is an applied math programme and these people found out very quickly they're not up to it. Can't understand these retards picking CS over CE/SE if they go to uni to learn programming. CS is taught at the math department on my uni, while CE and SE are taught at Iinformatics department.
>>
>>62161020
>most vidya devs
>proceeds to describe indie, not someone at Insomniac or some other company
Vidya devs are miles ahead of your average application brogrammer. But still, embedded is where the true masters are.
>>
>>62161508
whats an embedded programmer
>>
>>62159348
>>no guarantee of success
Not like you do't get paid unless it succeeds.
>>
>>62160279
You're going to need a source to back that up. This would be an absolutely retarded scheme and would not produce the desired result. I can assure you that Epic Games didn't use my code at all. I wouldn't be surprised if no one even looked at it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.