[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible for data corruption to be somehow transferrable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: datas.png (79KB, 288x419px) Image search: [Google]
datas.png
79KB, 288x419px
Is it possible for data corruption to be somehow transferrable?

I had an old hard drive with tons of files that was having a lot of issues seeking/accessing them (super slow rates, etc.). After copying them byte for byte to another drive, the new drive has the same difficulties accessing them.
Neither drives were fragmented so I am completely at a loss.
>>
>>62158275
The files themselves are missing bits here and there. Hence, the butterfly effect. Or something.
>>
When the files open they are perfectly fine but just the process of opening or accessing them takes ages.

For example, a 7KB txt file just took 15 seconds to open.

Another example, opening a folder makes it stall out for 1-2 minutes.

This would be totally understandable if the HDD was failing but this is a brand new one I just copied the data onto.
>>
>>62158275
>how come when I copy corrupt data from one hard drive to another it isn't magically fixed?
>>
>>62158275
Your operating system doesn't have the capabilities of repairing your files, no matter how many times you copy them.
>>
>>62158433
Poor choice of words. It's fine once opened it's just the accessing part that is the problem.

It's the symptoms you'd have if your hard drive motor was failing but this is occurring on both the old and new hard drive.

If it's not fragmentation could it be partition table or file system issues of some kind? It's coming from an old NTFS partition.
>>
>>62158695
Try opening the 7KB text file and copying it's content to a new file and check if that one takes 15 seconds to open up.
>>
>>62158874
It opens up fine the second time.

Same with the folders. After they're opened once they open fine afterwards.
>>
>>62158975
to me it sounds like the partition table.

Try checking the drive for errors

Last resort is to create a new partition (probably on the new drive) and copy the files over so that they are recreated on the new table rather than having an exact clone of the buggy table.
>>
>>62159101
really tired. MFT*
>>
>>62158275
If you cloned the whole fucking drive, if the old drive's filetable was fucked then your "new" one is as well.

Format the new drive, and then copy over the actual files you need from the old one.
>>
>>62159101
>>62159110
>>62159128

Actually the partition was newly created. The files were copied byte for byte onto it (via FastCopy)
>>
>>62159757
Look at them in a hex editor. Are they messed up some invisible way?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.