[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how come Debian is so popular on /g/ all of of sudden? what happened

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

File: debian_logo.png (17KB, 3268x925px) Image search: [Google]
debian_logo.png
17KB, 3268x925px
how come Debian is so popular on /g/ all of of sudden? what happened to arch's popularity and why is Debian the cool distro all of the sudden?
>>
>>62130348
I don't know. To me Debian is dead since NSA/systemd.

I'd suggest Devuan atm.
>>
Let's see:

>one of the oldest distros around
>one of maybe 3 that actually matter on production servers
>base of more forks than you can count
>no commercial entity behind it pushing its agenda
>huge package repository
>no non-free cancer in official repos
>credits GNU in its name
>supports more architectures than any other distro (inb4 muh Gentoo supports everything with a C compiler: Debian actually builds and tests binaries for like 12 or so architectures)
>stable like a motherfucker
>large non-noob, but also non-autistic community

Truly a patrician's choice.
>>
>>62130375
>Devuan
At least suggest a distro that gets updated like antiX, or MX.
>>
>>62130348
You either go Debian if you need a working system or a simple Linux toolbox fast, everyone knows it, quick solutions are the easiest to search for, and .deb package are the most likely to encounter if you require proprietary shit.
Choose testing if you want to dampen the stale stench of it.

Or you go Gentoo if you want to have fun, build it your way and rice and optimize the fuck out of it.

Arch is now that weird middleground, they even adopted the SystemD bloat, so why bother?

[spoiler] Their Wiki is still the best though. [/spoiler]
>>
>>62130348
Not as babby tier as ubuntu and not rice edgy tier like arch/gentoo. Also "stable" and "server tier reliable" and kinda just werks.
i like it, but use ubuntu on desktops, because of newer nvidia drivers etc, but the experience is pretty much the same imo.
>>
>>62130348
gentoo is the only popular distro on /g/
>>
>>62130375
>To me Debian is dead since NSA/systemd.
Can you even do a fully functional Arch install without systemd? If you really hate systemd then your only route is FreeBSD or some ancient distro like Slackware.
>>
>>62135015
>fully functional
have to define that

can have sysv/openrc
or runit or something else with nosystemd from aur or exclude enable-systemd type flags from pkgs
so yes

such are the benefits of vanilla upsteam pkgs
>>
>>62135015
Install Gentoo
>>
>>62134936
not really, /g/ actually doesn't use gentoo. now the two reasons can be is that it's too retarded to install it or smart enough to not install it.

>>62130375
>NSA/systemd
{{Citation needed}}
>>
Debian was always rather popular on /g/ as far as i remember.
I cant imagine anything else on my servers.
Still running arch on a laptop though.
>>
>>62130348
I've been using variants of it for almost a decade. Arch/Gentoo are more for bragging rights on the ability to compile things your self or in other words the ability to follow directions. Rest of us have shit to do and actually use Linux.
>>
>>62135584
arch is literally easier to install than debian cause their packages just werk and their wiki is the best and their packages the newest

literally arch is the easiest
>>
>>62136913
Installing Arch isn't difficult, you just have to be able to follow a guide. It is much more time-consuming and inconvenient than installing Debian though, Debian gives you a sane default environment without you having to do things like pick and install your own cron daemon.
>>
>>62130348
it has a sensible base install, doesn't require days of tinkering to set up xrandr, automounts, etc like arch does. desu the only bad part is systemd...i suppose Void linux deserves more love these days
>>
>>62136913
>arch is the easiest
it's just obscured bullshit that when you use, you pray for it not to break.
>>
>>62130348
Fedora is best at the moment. They actually keep up to date with hardware.
>>
>>62130348

It's just the most mature choice
>>
>>62132092
>no nonfree cancer in official repos
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/non-free/

not selected by default, but easy to add if you want it
literally the best option
>>
>>62134136
>deb package is most common for proprietary shit
most common is a tarball and then rpm or deb
>>
>>62130348
>all of of sudden
Debian has been popular on /g/ since the dawn of times.
>>
>>62137279
retarded tripfag detect

>>62138580
not compared to arch, at least visibly
>>
>>62130348

I think Arch is completely pointless unless you like distro hopping and being on unstable releases. I use it on my laptop. I use Debian on my desktop because I need something stable and just werks. I don't have time any more to micromanage things.
>>
>>62138634
>unless you like distro hopping
ive been using arch on my desktop for close to three years, before that I used windows.
>>
>>62138666

desu that was just a jab. At least I on /g/ I see Arch posts mentioned with more than a few distros, as in Arch users tend to switch around because thy're more uhh "technically" inclined. They like to tweak.
>>
>>62138634
>>62138666
i question you having debian on desktop and arch on laptop. for me its the opposite, I want my laptop to be reliable and the bleeding edge stuff on my desktop

my laptop runs arch
my desktop runs arch
my htpc runs arch
not all are the best choice but I don't run into many issues

also checking my trips
>>
>>62138718

I honestly don't use my laptop that much. I have one for work. If I some how fuck up my laptop its easier for my to set it aside and deal with it later if I need to.
>>
>>62138699
>Arch users tend to switch around because thy're more uhh "technically" inclined. They like to tweak.
Distro hoppers aren't users of any particular distro, that's why they're hoppers. And Arch isn't necessarily for "tweaking", in terms of simplicity it's basically Ubuntu/Mint for people who are comfortable in a command line shell.
>>
>>62138757

I RESPECTFULLY and VERY POLITELY disagree with you.
>>
>>62138757
>in terms of simplicity it's basically Ubuntu/Mint for people who are comfortable in a command line shell.
plenty of people comfortable with the shell are much less comfortable setting up Xorg, but in general I agree with you
it doesnt hold your hand like ubuntu, more of a guiding hand on the back
>>
File: Lennart_poettering.jpg (90KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Lennart_poettering.jpg
90KB, 1000x667px
>>62132092
Like that matters now.
>>
>>62138821
You shouldn't be manually configuring Xorg anyway, unless you have very specialized needs. Most packages are ready to use, Arch just avoids "debianizing" them.

>>62138890
Poettering eventually gets bored of his projects after a few years, systemd will be gutted to hell after that like with PulseAudio.
>>
>>62130348
We grew up but not enough to use MacOS
>>
>>62138597
archfags are just louder, arch is a /g/ meme that's irrelevant compared to debian
>>
If you think there's a slight increase in Debian related threads it's because Debian recently brought out a new version.
>>
>>62135015
Yes i imagine so. Manjaro comes with an openRC variant
>>
I used Debian from 2004 onwards. Because I didn't know any better. Then in 2013 or so, I discovered Arch. I liked the package manager better. Apt is garbage.

Then I switched to MacOS. Because it has better compatibility with more software. I like it in many ways, but I dislike the lack of customization. I would never use Windows. I need a proper shell and cygwin doesn't cut it. Plus I hate the windows registry and folder mapping.
>>
>>62139371
manjaro is also dogshit
theres an arch-openrc, no idea if its any good
>>
>>62139356
>muh debian better
they serve different types of user
arch is not just a /g/ meme
>>
>>62130348
>all of of sudden?
are you new?
>>
>>62135015
freebsd is the true redpill
>>
>>62138558
Technically, non-free is not a part of Debian. They're kind of schizophreniac about it, desu. They have a "social contract" where they commit to keeping the system and all of its components 100% free. But then they host a non-free repo on their servers. But then they don't include it in sources.list and don't consider it a part of the project. But then they keep maintaining the packages. No wonder they fell out of grace with RMS.
>>
>>62130348
Install gentoo
>>
Honestly Arch is just objectively the best. I've been through so many distros and Arch is just the most stable, most well-documented, most simple, fastest, and up-to-date. It's just perfect.
>>
>>62130348
It's for regressive right wing neoracist hipsters like 4chin produces a lot of. Fedora leads the way for productive normal members of society who aren't afraid of corporate social progress.
>>
>>62130348
>no wifi
>no nothin
debian is even more retarded than fedora
>>
>>62142652
>must install one package
>or get the debian+nonfree ISO from the debian server
wow so hard
>>
>>62143165
>debian+nonfree ISO from the debian server
link?
>>
>>62143568
Here:
>>62138558
>>
>>62134136
>.deb package are the most likely to encounter if you require proprietary shit.
No. Tarballs, than with a huge gap, rpms, than debs designed for ubuntu.
>>
>>62143607
but where's an ISO? I can't see any, there are just hashes
>>
>>62132092
Redhat indirectly manages nearly every general-purpose distro.
>>
>>62143613
Delusional debbiots will deny this to their dying day.
>>
File: debian.stretch.jpg (140KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
debian.stretch.jpg
140KB, 1920x1080px
Debian testing + SysV/OpenRC

Shits cache$
>>
>>62142652
>i dont understand what the librekernel is and my mobo has proprietary hardware the post

your wifi chipset has binary blobs and fedora doesnt give a fuck abotu your freedom

just enable non-free software repo if you dont like it
>>
>>62142652
>normie's got shitty hardware which requires binary blobs
>>
File: okGitFlow.jpg (132KB, 673x417px) Image search: [Google]
okGitFlow.jpg
132KB, 673x417px
>>62132092
This. Debian is the most stable distro you could ever have. Always a safe choice for a server, no matter what.
>>
>>62143663
Fedora actually appears to be polished and it's the leading linux distro, what it has now will sooner or later be adopted by other distros. I actualy regret it has blobs and shits.
>>
>>62143694
>stable
Slackware was stable before debian even existed.
>>
File: 1503879931209.jpg (313KB, 720x699px) Image search: [Google]
1503879931209.jpg
313KB, 720x699px
>he uses a distro named after a roastie
>>
>>62143625
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
>>62130348
Debian has always been popular, however there are a few reasons

>New stable release just came out not long ago
>Has a very sane release/development cycle when compared to Ubuntu or some of the other popular distros
>It is very agnostic, you can mold it into just about any kind of distro you want (stable, bleeding edge, or testing rolling release, etc.)
>Backports for stable is improving all of the time, using stable + backports you don't miss out on newer libraries and development tools like you used to (although you will not have the latest DE)
>After the shitfest of Gnome 3 + KDE 4, I think many people see the virtue of slow, stable distros that don't adopt the newest shit just because it is new

Personally, I can definitely see why people would use Arch for a niche hobbyist distro, however for me Debian stable + backports eternally BTFO distros like Ubuntu LTS.
>>
>>62143663
>just enable non-free software repo
yes enable some dogshit that has even lower standards than a bunch of shitdistros that have everything

and btw you can't not enable that crap because it's not just wifi, it's media codecs and everything
>>
>>62135318
>or smart enough to not install it
I guess that you overestimate yourself.
>>
>>62143773
thanks, didn't know this existed
>>
>>62130348
Probably some hipster shit like Leica, they suddenly decided to write their shitty hello worlds in C as well.
>>
>>62143887
Do gentoo faggots even realise it is that their retarded distro is vulnerable to MITM attacks in fucking 2017?
>>
>>62143919
It's a better excuse than the compile time shit but still does show your laziness and inferiority to Gentoo master race elite club.
>>
>>62143919
You mean while syncing ebuild repo? You can use gpg-verified rsync. I use git sync for speed, shit's great
>>
>>62130375
>Devuan
Literally the same as systemd pinned to -1 priority.
>>
>>62136913
As a Debian user I also find the Arch wiki extremely useful.
>>
>>62139419
> preconfigured arch based os with own repo for more stability
> just werks out of the box
> literally working on my things and don't think about os problems
> dogshit
Are you retarded?
>>
>>62144165
>own repo for stability
Waiting for a predetermined amount of time doesn't make it more stable retard, unless you're patching shit like debian does, it doesn't.
>>
>>62144165
>proprietary
>>
I've been running Debian since 97. You kids might think your hobby OS is cool but really, it's just being a retrogrouch tryhard for the sake of it. The difference is now you have a safety net at all times in your Arch install; it's the OS equivalent of riding a track bike with training wheels.
>>
>>62139419
>>62143643
honestly openrc was only created for the "ANYTHING BUT SYSTEMD" attitude, it's much shittier than systemd imo.
>>62144293
that, but add that the bike is going at 300 km/h and if an update fails you're going to crash and possibly kill yourself.
>>
>>62144501

Whatever kid, fixing broken package updates is a mundane hobbyist chore.
>>
>>62144293
why not nixos?
>>
File: 9d5.png (173KB, 2688x2688px) Image search: [Google]
9d5.png
173KB, 2688x2688px
I'd like Debian more than Arch if the logo weren't a pubic hair.
>>
File: 1499469709864.jpg (17KB, 373x339px) Image search: [Google]
1499469709864.jpg
17KB, 373x339px
>>62130348
Summer is ending so faggotry is dying down.
>>
>>62144685
>fixing broken packages
>hobbyist chore
true, i have shit to do so i picked a distro that didn't require me to babysit it like a 2 year old baby.
>>
>>62144032
Same.
>>
>>62135584
Arch is actually a good candidate for ease of use Linux for general use not just servers / development of servers.

It's easy to install ( you have the steps in wiki ) or you have distros like antegros that are 1 button install and give you it optimized ready to do w/e but with the full repository of updated software so all you would want to do anything on your machine.
>>
>>62145028
If you need a fucking wiki to install Linux your a bonehead.
>>
What should I use Manjaro or Antergos?
>>
>>62144217
They are testing shit before you system broke, buddy
>>62144233
> jobless idiot
>>
>>62145081
Antergos is just an installer
Manjaro have own repo
>>
>>62145095
Are there any advantages with manjaro repo?
>>
>>62144937
No one truly believes that babysitting something like a project just like in your metaphor is a bad thing if it results in the development of that project and better use for everyone else, but sadly what goes around with arch doesn't benefit anyone in a real way.
>>
>>62130348
Debian has always been popular.
Also, I don't find rolling release distributions to be suitable for stable production environments.
>>
>>62143724
Slackware is just 2 months older than Debian and has never been anywhere near its market share (on servers or otherwise), mostly because it's always been one guy's pet project supporting x86 only, whereas Debian has been a huge community effort with builds for a dozen architectures (and RISC servers were pretty popular in the 90's and early 00's).
>>
>>62137217
>10 year old programs
>sane
anon pls
>>
File: Ian.jpg (35KB, 780x439px) Image search: [Google]
Ian.jpg
35KB, 780x439px
Hello
>>
>>62145108
iirc it's just arch's but they hold onto the packages for a week or to before pushing them to users in case they break shit
>>
>>62143800
Thanks anon, this is helpful.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.