[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to into embedded systems programming? I've googled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170828_230621.jpg (4MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170828_230621.jpg
4MB, 4640x3480px
How to into embedded systems programming?

I've googled around and been following a tutorial on playing around with an rpi

I was just wondering if there are other good ways to learn
>>
>>62130233
Okay, let me help you, I've been in the embedded market for 4 years now, and a couple more before as a hobbyist.
First, are you looking into this as a hobbyist or wanting to make this your profession
>>
>>62130268
initially as a hobbyist.

soon starting a position as a fullstack .net dev in a firmware company and I was thinking of maybe working my way into firmware dev eventually
>>
>>62130282
Well that's good approach, the reason why I asked this is because the focus areas for hobbyist and professionals are often very different.
As a hobbyist, I would like to recommend you to 8 bit microcontrollers like the very versatile AVR and PIC families. Maybe even older 80xx, but since they're mostly CISC based, but much simpler to work with. These microcontroller families have everything from 8 pin tiny micros to 40+ pin ones with all peripherals you might want built in.
They're cheap, considerably fast, and won't confuse you with more complex details
First step is, picking up a dev board, or even make one of you're familiar with soldering, I wouldn't recommend it though. Pick a popular dev board with lots of support
>>
>>62130467
Learning to use an embedded system is 90% learning to use it peripherals. To use the peripherals, you will need to read up on the features, like UART, SPI, I2C, ADCs, DACs, PWM. Thats most of it desu
Second step is setting up the ide. I use libre tools, and my first micro was an avr, so i started using avr-gcc. You can choose any, atmel has a good toolchain, as compared to microchip, so i recommend you to go with AVRs. Watch a few videos on youtube, and google around, you're bound to learn enough to setup the toolchain, and compile your first program (hello world in embedded domain is known as blinky)
>>
>>62130233

Get an arruino and start a simple project, like an alarm clock.
>>
>>62130584
>>62130467

cool, ill look into these

>>62130629
I read a lot about Arduino abstracting a lot of stuff which is why it's not the best way to learn?
>>
>>62130282
>fullstack .net dev in a firmware company

"fullstack" is a term used only in the web dev world.

.net is not a good language for writing firmware or embedded system code.

i'd recommend C/C++ and javascript (node.js).
>>
>>62130233
We started with MIPS assembly in University.

Then other Assembly + C
>>
>>62130666
yea, .net/js is primarily what I'll be in to make a living

initially this is just gonna be a hobby
>>
>>62131063
i would honestly recommend just using node.js then. it's pretty lightweight and you don't have to get autistic like you would with C. C is great if you need to write some mission critical code for a business or a consumer chip, but if you just wanna have fun and automate things in your home node is a dream. great documentation, easy to write, easy to install dependencies, huge ecosystem, etc. a raspi has good enough hardware that you don't need to write in C.
>>
>>62130666
why node.js?
>>
>>62131135
>i would honestly recommend just using node.js
kys web you faggot web dev. Node isn't even good for backend.
>raspi
kek. A bloated general purpose computer with shitty IO. Even shitty duinos are better for embedded, not to mention ESP8266s and the like blow the raspberry out of the water.
>>
>>62131256
Because javascript web devs can't into real programming and they would like everybody else to work with inferior tech.
In the end they are the SJWs of software.
>>
>>62130233
Learn Python : ^ )
>>
>>62131422
1. you're retarded, node is great. it makes a good middle tier for your backend. lots of huge companies are using it. it's perfectly fine for hobby programming as well since it's lightweight and quick to write.
2. the OP specifically mentioned raspi. again, you're retarded.
>>
>>62131492
i know you're a college freshman or something but in the real world js is an unstoppable force. you will need to learn it and use it if you want to work in software. it has its quirks, and bad devs can easily write some real garbage, but once you learn it it's actually quite nice.
>>
>>62131550
>node is great
No its not. Its a single-threaded unperformant piece of shit

>lots of huge companies are using it
There is a lot of waste of resources going on in huge companies. But you won't see Google or FB built on top of node for a reason.

>the OP specifically mentioned raspi
Then why did you "honestly" recommend it?
>>
>>62130233

ATmega16 + AtmelStudio + a couple of sensors/actors and so on = fun
>>
>>62131640
>No its not. Its a single-threaded unperformant piece of shit
it's literally the fastest scripting language out there now. single threaded doesn't matter if most of your code is I/O (hence middle tier) since it has non-blocking async. throw it in a tiny docker image and create more if needed. scales easily, no problem.

>But you won't see Google or FB built on top of node for a reason.
one good example is walmart. the biggest company on the planet uses it for their main middle tier. and it shows: black friday didn't put a dent in them while target, best buy etc went down.

>Then why did you "honestly" recommend it?
i didn't, i'm just giving him advice.
>>
>>62130467
>>62130584
Good advice.

The Raspberry Pi is a cute computer but as something packing full Cortex-A cores, it's more comfortable than things you'd really call embedded. AVR, ESP8266, ESP32, now you're getting somewhere.
>>
>>62131594
I've been in the workforce for 8 years, and already had to use it. The suffering was indescribable. Nowadays its better with let/const and classes but still you are pretty much forced to use Babel or TypeScript for compatibility with mobile browsers.
>>
>>62130233
learn electrical engineering first

you're useless in embedded without it
>>
>>62131714
>fastest
>scripting
Pick one
>>
>>62131752
'fastest scripting'
meaning fastest out of the scripting languages
moron
>>
>>62131736
?
>>
>>62131594
>you will need to learn it and use it if you want to work in software
Bullshit. Typical webdev assuming their domain is everyone else's
>>
>>62134067
nope, every domain is moving towards js. unless you work in legacy software, or work in a very specific domain like kernel development, it's coming to your shop soon.
>>
>>62134279
>unless you work in legacy software, or work in a very specific domain like kernel development
So not every domain. With kernel development of course being the biggest open source software project known to man.
>>
>>62134311
i'm talking about actual jobs here, not open source development. if you're just a hobby programmer then of course you can choose not to touch javascript.
>>
>>62134403
If you think Linux development is done primarily by hobbyists then all you've done is reveal how little you know about anything outside your own world.

Yes, firmware development of all kinds is a huge employer. No, it will not be going towards javascript.
>>
>>62131736

CE is fair enough
EE is for power systems
>>
>>62134279

> every domain is moving towards js

JS can't even ship an simple mobile app without hassles...
>>
>>62131715
There are powerful cpus in embedded world. Go visit nxp.com or other vendor and see for yourself.
>>
>>62134474
that doesn't stop businesses from trying. it ""cuts development costs in half""
>>
>>62131594
>his company hasn't gone back to java
It only works in meme companies, mostly startups and like, paypal.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.