[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slackware discussion thread. Who's on it, who's thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: slaxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg (13KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
slaxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
13KB, 256x256px
Slackware discussion thread. Who's on it, who's thinking of moving. Advantages/disadvantages?
>>
I've never heard of Slackware outside of /g/ and distrowatch. what do people even use it for? It's debian based, right?
>>
>>62120980

I heard of it first time in 2003 when my brother told me he was using it. it's not Debian based, it's Slackware based. It's non systemd and more granular than Debian, but not so advanced as Gentoo or Arch.
>>
>>62120980
it's older than debian. it's main selling points are being stable and the most unix-like distro
>>
>>62120980
debian is half as old as slackware
>>
>>62121139
>this
The main point that made me change from Debian/Devuan distros was the stability without having acient packages (I am on current, otherwise the packages are ultra ancient).

The community it's also worthy noting slackbuilds is awesome and right now I just installed the *newest* kotlin compiler (released just 13 day ago) this is really good.
>>
>>62121229

I am trying to learn Slackware, I only understand how to build things through Slackbuilds.org currently.

Apart from Slackbuilds.org, where else does one download software from? I don't understand what slapt-get is for, for instance. Do the official mirrors only cater for packages in the full install?
>>
>>62121269
like any distro, you can always install from source. basically download the tar and extract it, then cd into the directory, run ./config, then make and make install

those are very generic instructions, it can vary between software
>>
>>62120901
using Slackware is the same as driving an old car with a manual transmission, no ABS, etc. It's more reliable because it has less moving parts and you can actually get some satisfaction from feeling the sense of a complete control. It's cool, but not for everybody because sometimes you just want a car to get you to a desired place without a hassle.
>>
>>62121313
>download the tar and extract it, then cd into the directory, run ./config, then make and make install

I understand this, but where to get stuff from apart from Slackbuilds.org? Or is that all I need? Because I can install stuff perfectly from that site.
>>
>>62121269
>where else does one download software from?
slackbuilds are a way to easily install software, if I want something that isn't on SBo I create a package, makepkg(8) is your friend.
>slapt-get
I don't use it so I can't comment on it.
>>
>>62120980
kek underage detected.
>>
>>62121355
Download source from the project's website
>>
>>62121039
>but not so advanced as Gentoo or Arch.
what do you mean by advanced?. arch is literally slackware with pacman and aur.
>>
>>62121355

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/different-methods-of-installing-software-in-slackware-934392/
>>
>>62121396
perhaps he meant cutting edge?
>>
next release when?
>>
>>62121396
arch is slackware with systemd, grub, and bleeding edge packages. In other words - it's completely not slackware.
>>
>>62121269
>Apart from Slackbuilds.org, where else does one download software from?
Build and install the Flatpak slackbuild and you can install runtimes and applications via that. Flatpak is basically distro-agnostic (even works on Alpine!) sandboxed binaries.
>>
>>62121394
>>62121404

This is very helpful, thank you. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and install.

I've been running Debian for a few months but most of the learning I did was in-distro. i love Debian but the main thing that's holding me back is systemd. I don't believe in the true freedom of any systemd OS. That's not what I got into Linux for.
>>
>>62121477
if you install, make sure you choose the mode that lets you select/deselect individual packages one at a time. the descriptions of the packages are very thorough, so by the end of it you'll know what every package in your OS does. Also the default installation is bloated as fuck (~10gb iirc)
>>
I used Slackware in the 90's as my very fist Linux distro. There were only 3 to choose from back then (well, 3 that mattered, anyway): Slack, Debian and RedHat, and Slack had the reputation of being the most difficult to use (mostly because no package manager and manually juggling with fucking tarballs). Trying to get my cheap 56.6K winmodem to work in Slack by compiling unofficial driver sources from some French dude's website (and documented in fucking French, too) and recompiling the kernel countless times was probably the most educational experience of my life. I learned a ton with Slackware, but then ditched it for Debian and never looked back.

>>62121198
Slack is literally a couple months older than Debian (July '93 vs September '93 for initial releases).
>>
>>62120901
I've used it and it's not bad, I just really love bleeding edge like arch and void too much to keep using slackware. Plus dependency management is a nightmare.
>>
>>62121555

>I learned a ton with Slackware, but then ditched it for Debian and never looked back.

systemd doesn't bother you?
>>
>>62121555
>Trying to get my cheap 56.6K winmodem to work in Slack by compiling unofficial driver sources from some French dude's website (and documented in fucking French, too) and recompiling the kernel countless times was probably the most educational experience of my life
How much french did you learn during this whole thing?
>>
>>62121555
hi grandpa XD
>>
>>62121477
This is the average anti-systemd poster
Makes sense now
>>
>>62121701
Sup lennart.
>>
>>62121656

if he was 15 years old when he first tried Linux in 1993, and had a kid who then had another when they were fifteen in 2008, that would make any grandchild nine years old. So possible yes, but unlikely,
>>
File: condescending-unix-user.png (6KB, 194x189px) Image search: [Google]
condescending-unix-user.png
6KB, 194x189px
>>62121582
It does a bit, but I don't trust whatever non-systemd distros there are left (including Devuan) enough to put them on my servers, and I do trust Debian.

>>62121610
I improved my French significantly.

>>62121656
Here's a nickel, kid.
>>
>>62121835
>and I do trust Debian.
You're talking in terms of stability?
>>
>>62121582
Not him, but systemd doesn't bother me. It's actually been a huge net benefit from a sysadmin perspective. Reliable state-tracking and auto-restart of services rather than just chucking more shellscripts in cron is something legitimately better than sysvinit, especially if you've ever had to deal with a balky mysqld on a shared hosting server. I also get both journald logs and regular old text logs on Debian (and Arch if you install/enable a syslogd).

There are things I don't like about the current state of systemd, but there are open github tickets for those issues and work is being done.
>>
>>62121894
Yes. People always complain how Debian Stable has ancient packages and how slow their release cycle is, but that's exactly why it's my #1 choice for servers: because it's tested like a motherfucker.
>>
Slackware is love.
>>
>>62122183
Slackware don't hurt me
>>
>>62120980
>debian based
kek, good one anon. made me spill my tonic.
>>
>>62121577
>dependency management is a nightmare.
Not quite a nightmare but I do agree it can be a bitch at times.
>>
>>62120980
As you probably know by now, the point of slackware is to pretend you use it, then call everyone "kid". slackware's iso downloads might as well be a bunch of dick pics because nobody has installed it for 10 years.

>Disadvantages
half assed package manager nearly 15 years late
"all u need is on the cd"
really stable because you can't install anything

>Advantages
Pretend you're better than everyone else
Pretend you're old (as if this is a good thing)
Go to linux forums and off handedly mention you use slackware and how you're so cool
Jerk off
Pretend you're part of some shitty secret internet club
Jerk off some more
>>
>>62121229
slackware community aka alienbob
>>
>>62120901
Can anyone tell me why none of the alien bob live slack Iso don't work ?

I wanna take it for a test drive
>>
>get introduced to linux via slackware
>annoying as fuck but still better than windows so stick with it
>realize months later that this is not the entry level linux distro
>oh_god_what_have_i_done.png
>too late already invested too much time into this
>continue with it as DD for the next 7ish years

Fun times.

Changed to Kubuntu a week ago after a proprietary Linux program made things difficult.
>>
>>62121039
>arch
>advanced
>he thinks he is an advanced user because he uses arch
top kek
>>
>>62121396
You are such a fucking idiot in so many ways.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.