[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't Microsoft for the love of all holy integrate the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 7

File: Windows 10.jpg (98KB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
Windows 10.jpg
98KB, 1280x600px
Why can't Microsoft for the love of all holy integrate the entire control panel in the settings properly?

Are they that fucking retarded?
>>
>>62096752
>Are they that fucking retarded?
yes
>>
>>62096752
2 is better than 1 you stupid goy
>>
Remove right, keep left.

I don't use Windows.
>>
Windows has been an indefensible pile of shit since 2012.
>>
>>62096752
cos wIn10 really is on alpha build
>>
>>62096752
Pajeet technology
>>
Windows 10 is a giant clusterfuck

It is actually unfinished software released as an OS

>2 control panels, one of them sucks shit
>media player + groove player + movies & tv
>edge + internet explorer
>paint + paint3d
>some shit for virtual reality even tho barely anyone uses VR
>after a "clean install" tons of bloat like candy crush, minecraft, plex, etc
>ads disuguised as suggested apps
>default apps such as photos are slow as fuck to load compared to W7 and 8
>ui inconsistency
>forced updates
>search breaks all the time in newest version of W10
>spyware
>after a clean install needs time to uninstall all the bullshit and disable spying shit in settings
>made in such fashion that you always have to go though hoops to disable spyware and remove bloat

these are all legit points here
>>
>>62096752
Yes
>>
>>62097091
>>2 control panels, one of them sucks shit
Both of them sucks shit, since they keep removing stuff from the old one and are too slow to integrate in the new one. And some things are both found in the old and the new.
>>
>>62097205
cont.

Also, you can literally find options from Windows 95 in Windows 10.

Just fucking nuke this whole mess already.
>>
>>62096752
It seems like Microsoft is unsure whether they want to continue using their new Metro window design or go back to the old design.
>>
>>62097234
Yeah, I mean, look at what a colossal failure Windows Phone was. Not even Windows Vista failed that bad. People don't like this kind of ugly POS design. There is nothing wrong with minimalism, Google's take on it is pretty nice. Microsoft's Indians have no sense of good design at all.
>>
How to resync the system clock on Windows:
>Right-click the clock in the system tray, click to "Adjust Date/Time"
>Win10 Settings window pops up
>Scroll down and click "Additional date, time & regional settings"
>Old Control Panel windows pops up
>Click "Set the time and date"
>Date and Time window pops up
>Change to "Internet Time" tab and click "Change settings..."
>Yet another fucking dialog, "Internet Time Settings" pops up
>Click the "Update now" button
>It fails to sync
>Click the "Update now" button again
>It syncs successfully
>OK the dialog
>OK the other dialog
>Close Control Panel
>Close Settings
>>
>>62097231
they really need to rebuild windows from scratch, windows looks like a teared up shirt and every time theres a new whole they just patch it up with some shit and it becomes a mess
>>
>>62097266
Fuck you man Windows Phone 8.1+ was a true masterpiece and I miss it so much. Fuck Android fuck iOS fuck Windows Phone 10
>>
>>62097317
>>How to resync the system clock on Windows:
>w32tm /resync
>>
>>62096752
have the same shit on openSUSE where you have KDE settings and Yast separately.
Looks like it's very hard to do just one control panel.
But there is a point in having 2 control panels, though: one is for normies (change a theme and icons, preferred applications, etc) and the other one for advanced users (users and groups settings; network settings, etc)
>>
File: b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg.png (216KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg.png
216KB, 800x800px
>>62097349
this. It felt very professional and reliable, Android and iOS still look and feel like toy OSes
>>
>>62096752
The old control panel was kept because muh legacy software like with firefox
>>
File: faceplam.jpg (100KB, 1189x783px) Image search: [Google]
faceplam.jpg
100KB, 1189x783px
The control panel was a warning sign of evils of design by committee and compartmentalization a long time ago like this shit from win 7

see everbody reads stuff top to bottom in windows - start menu - list files etc

then control panel comes along and its ordered ALPHABETICALY SIDEWAYS... not a problem but when the window is resized every icon is in a FRUSTRATINGLY DIFFERENT PLACE !

breaks my brain every time anon.. its only going to get worse with out a benevolent dictator for life... benevolent..... MS... kek
>>
>>62097412
Yeah after a year of Android I'm still considering ordering another WP8 device from Amazon and switching back, but I know it would be futile (browser will be out of date, apps will stop working with servers, etc.). It makes me sad.
>>
>>62097428
*Like with internet explorer
>>
>>62097357
Sure, but that's not the normal way that users are expected to do it.
>>
Many Microsoft devs over the years have spoke of the horrors that lie in Windings' code base. eg. their build system run via black magick and some 90s scripts and shit that noone can understand

No wonder they're having problem cleaning shit up. There's only so much throwing money at a spaghetti mountain can do
>>
>continue developing windows for industry's sake
>develop a completely new consumer os
Windows' issue is that it needs to keep compatability with systems thirty years old
>>
>>62097466

its funny how microsoft embraced extended and extinguished their own fucking phone...

i get feels thinking how many good nokia engineers they broke and are now probably bitter and jaded for life
>>
>>62096752
I had a fun time with the new control panel a few weeks ago. I was helping my dad out with some problems and along the way I noticed that the network connection was named "Network 4". OCD like I am, I wanted to change that to just "Network" since it's a desktop PC and it's only every connected to the same router. Turns out the option wasn't available anymore in the old control panel and was moved to the new one, but I still couldn't find it anywhere. So I googled and googled and all the answers always said that it's right there in the network settings, but it wasn't there for me. Well, the problem was the UAC believe it or not. If you have the UAC set to "confirm every action", the new control panel won't show the option to change the network name. You have to set the UAC to any option but the highest one for the control panel to show the button. Really well integrated, Microsoft. It doesn't grey it out, it doesn't offer the button with an UAC prompt, it's just gone and it won't tell you why it's not there.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with being Windows 10. Anybody who says otherwise is a giant autist. Hurr durr it looks like shit when its the best looking os ever, hurr durr spying when its just telemetry to make their services better. Fucking autists

There is a control panel for legacy stuff, their is a setting app for everything else and new stuff. If they broke the compatibility by removing control panel then that would be the problem. They are migrating stuff to the settings app anyway
>>
>>62096752
>Are they that fucking retarded?
what do you think?
>>
File: 6385241.gif (679KB, 300x194px) Image search: [Google]
6385241.gif
679KB, 300x194px
It's Vista all over again, but so much worse.
>>
>>62097580
>i get feels thinking how many good nokia engineers they broke and are now probably bitter and jaded for life
Yep, another reason to hate Microsoft. They just killed the best Finnish company.
>>
>>62097593
>They are migrating stuff to the settings app anyway
So they are gonna fuck it up even more? shieeet
>>
>>62096752
> Are they that fucking retarded?
Well, it was literally designed in powerpoint.
>>
>>62097584
Bwahahahaha!
Comedy gold.
>>
Really there are 4 control panels. I just search for the setting I want to change in start menu.
>>
>>62097580
Yeah I actually worked at Microsoft from 2011-2013 (quit shortly before the Nokia buyout I think) and it was definitely a disorganized company.

With the release of Windows 8, they gave all the Windows developers $8k bonuses and told them "not to tell anyone," and needless to say everyone knew immediately. The head of Windows (some old dude) force-resigned a couple months after.

I remember being particularly pissed, being in Office, which also had a release around then. Instead of giving us extra bonuses they bought Yammer and gave us all accounts. Hooray!
>>
>>62096752
WINDOWS 10 IS A MESS
>>
>>62097593
Actually most of the settings are already in the settings app. People pointing out the fact that there are settings & control panel are retarded. Would you rather they pull an apple and release unfinished software with a new design and tell users who needed old functionality to fuck off?
You're right though about the rest, but you have to remember a large % of /g/ users are autists who were tricked into installing a linux distro and now spend the rest of their time rationalizing why they did it.
>>
>>62097317
>Right-click the clock in the system tray, click to "Adjust Date/Time"
>Win10 Settings window pops up
>Press 'Set time automatically' switch 2 times
>>
>>62097317
>Click the "Update now" button
>It fails to sync
>Click the "Update now" button again
>It syncs successfully

Oh shit, that happened to me when I was installing some tablets at work. I assumed it was something wrong with our NTP server.

That's impressively incompetent.
>>
>>62097702
> $8k bonuses and told them "not to tell anyone,"

for what exactly ?
>>
>>62097466
Why wouldn't you wait for the actual surface phone though.
>>
>>62096752
It's a horrible piece of shit. Let us pray that Quake Champions gets Linux support.
>>
>>62096752
>uses more space
>provides less information.
>isn't even easier to program
Why do people convert everything to a flat interface when there is nothing to gain?
>>
Normie literally never use it or the settings screen either trust me I'm a virgin.

It's like how retard still use Windows 8.x even on here without classic shell
>>
>>62097909
Because they're lolicons.
>>
>>62097827
It was for "doing a good job with the release" or something like that. It was stupid to try to keep it a secret, dunno what they were thinking.

>>62097844
Maybe I'll give it a shot when it comes out, but I haven't really followed MS phones since using Windows Phone/Mobile 10, which was horrible. MS seemed to have forgotten what made Windows Phone great which was that it was minimalist, consistent, and didn't really do much. They decided to try to copy Android instead of acknowledging their niche and paid the price for it.
>>
woah windows retains old features for no reason wtf this is unprecedented
>>
>>62097909
because touch cancer happened
>>
>>62097933
>They decided to try to copy Android
In what ways?

>>62097909
>isn't even easier to program
But it is.
>>
>>62097738
Are you saying I shouldn't install Gentoo? In new around here and just started looking into installing it on an old laptop of mine
>>
>>62097976
Touch has nothing to do with it.
If it works with a mouse, it works with touch.
>>62097994
Clearly not, otherwise why would something as simple as porting it all to the new control panel would have been done by now.
>>
>>62097994
Bear in mind this is from memory from a year or two ago

>In what ways?

WP 8.1 keyboard:
>swipe text works consistently for all inputs

WP 10 keyboard:
>some inputs have the good, regular swipe text
>some inputs have new swipe text where if you swipe two words in a row, the second one is disregarded and turned into a space
>some inputs don't support swipe text at all
>some inputs give word previews and some don't

WP 8.1 notification slider:
>four options of your choice

WP 10 slider:
>countless things, too much to deal with

WP 8 live tiles:
>very few things are animated, only photos, and you can set a default photo to stop that

WP 10 live tiles:
>lots of things, like maps are animated with no benefit

WP10 also had that pseudo text message response thing that takes up all your screen instead of a small bar at the top just the bare minimum.

I guess not all of these are Android-copying, but a lot of them are (like the keyboard thing, which was by far the thing I hated most, and still hate in Android). There were literally no improvements.
>>
>>62098045
Do whatever you want babe.

>>62098053
>otherwise why would something as simple as porting it all to the new control panel would have been done by now.
That's not how programming or design works. When transitioning tools, programming in a new environment can be much easier, but actually making the change can be a fucking pain in the ass.
>>
>>62096752
Windows 10 only really is a testing ground for all the new and old ideas Microsoft can throw at it and the consumers that mostly got it for free are doing all the testing for them.

The working functionality that gains enough support and works as intended might be implemented to some other unknown project or sold in a form or another and the leftovers are just left in the Windows 10 because it actually costs money to fix things so there is no profit in it for them.

You have a "free" OS now that actually tells you in EULA that they monitor almost anything you do with it so without being a conspiracy retard you can figure out that you are a beta tester now and they don't pay you to test things out.

The end game for Microsoft at the moment seems to be to get you as a consumer to buy services from them and selected partners that can be integrated to the platform using cloud as backbone so they get you slowly trapped in paid subscription model.

Genious in theory but in practice they are fucking it all up more and more each day.

...and people still wonder why function X and Y are not working anymore or at all and update Z broke some driver compatibility and deleted 50GB of furry tiddie pictures from your ssd while installing candy crush saga.

>tldr; Windows 10 = a cheap fidget spinner not a real tool
>>
>>62098053
>If it works with a mouse, it works with touch.
Yes, but normally everything is made bigger so that touch would be more comfortable to use, did you notice that most phones have UI scaled to 150% or more?
>>
>>62097349
>>62097412
>>62097466
I thought that me and my friend were the only that feel that

I'm using android 6 now and I miss simple things
>>
>>62098149
Scaling is one thing, but touch friendly usually means having gestures that work differently.
Touch is incredibly hard to make right.
On a traditional computer, you have >100 inputs and you can double that with a single meta key and escalate it with key sequences if necessary.
Touch has 1.
You can do creative things to expand it to a few more, but you basically have 1.
Most applications so far have no fucking idea how to deal with this.
I personally think the only reasonable way to deal with this is the mspaint solution, but nobody is doing that, it is simply too hard for people.
>>
>>62098183
Yeah the two things that make me most sad, tech-wise, are that I can't use Windows Phone 8 anymore and that soon Firefox is dropping support for XUL extensions.

Why does everyone copy the stupidest shit from Google?
>>
File: 1502282453438.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
1502282453438.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
>>62096752
Relevant
>>
>>62099049
>what it takes to add a dropdown
So there's a .cpp file that defines the behaviour and a .xaml file that defines the look of the UI.
If you want to add a new dropdown of course you're going to just copy the piece of xaml that defines it elsewhere and simply change the entries.
Same for the callback, it's mostly the same for every dropdown just with different ids.
String resources are required for localization. The only issue is the sequential id requirement.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unusual about this process.
If you've ever worked with Android you'll know that it works exactly the same except that it generates resource ids for you.
The green guy is just retarded.
>>
>>62099049
why would anyone believe that this is real
>>
>>62097814
I have to do this every fucking time I switch from Linux
>>
>>62099188
The top is definitely real, as explained in >>62099142
The real issue is that green passed whatever interview process Microsoft has.

Parts of the bottom part might be real.
Searching msdn is a lot easier by doing a google search for "some windows api msdn"
I have doubts about the drivers checking the kernel version. Driver frameworks are quite good and there's really no reason to do that.
Even if the UI design was given to developers in powerpoint, which sounds highly unlikely, that's not the reason it's flat. It's flat because Microsoft was trying to make Windows 8 into a low-end tablet OS so fancy glass and blur was a no-no. That failed so now you can see that blur is slowly coming back.
The part about developers being "not allowed" to fix bugs is very likely true to some degree as it has been mentioned in several "confessions" of former employees.
>>
>>62097584
lol, it's more likely they will do something new instead of UAC than they will fix it.
Never set "confirm every action, it doesn't work in older versions of windows properly either.
It ignores the pop-up window, but could not give all administrative rights
> OCD like I am
fuck you, you piece of shit
>>
how retard can it be to follow a tutorial for installing pirated Win 7 and update to Win X and be part of the botnet with they servers knowing of your pirated version and updating shit behind? i never bought win in my life.
>>
>>62099355
This can be resolved. Open regedit, navigate to
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation 
create new DWORD 32 bit and name it
RealTimeIsUniversal
and give it the value of 1. Problem solved
>>
>>62099436
>That failed so now you can see that blur is slowly coming back.
Well, there's still a major setback and it's the fact that they still have to be performant. Back when Aero existed people would always whine about performance and turn as much of it off as possible. Now the same problem exists (or will when FCU comes out), as majority haven't actually upgraded hardware they've simply horizontally progressed to a laptop/tablet form.
>>
File: AERO.png (88KB, 2162x900px) Image search: [Google]
AERO.png
88KB, 2162x900px
>>62100102
>people would always whine about performance and turn as much of it off as possible
They already merged all the aero/glass feedback into one collection once (far right)
>>
at least windows has an actual control panel, unlike linux
>>
Why is search so fucking useless in Windows 10?

About 70% of the time I search for something on my computer, all I get are Bing and Windows Store results, and I have to manually locate the thing in File Explorer.

How did Microsoft let Windows get this bad? Why did they ruin a decent desktop OS (Win7) in a desperate attempt to chase after Google and Apple? How much worse will it get?
>>
>>62100972
>>62097385
>>
>>62097317

When I was running W7 I had to install Atomic Clock for it to sync time correctly.
>>
>>62101027
Search becomes useless when you take inbred reddit advice and start turning shit off without knowing what anything does.
>decent
>Win7
Why are microsoft users such history revisionists???
>>
>>62096916
This
Satya nadella of microsoft and
Sundar pooo chai of google will turn both huge companies into open toilet
>>
>>62097593
>There is literally nothing wrong with being Windows 10.
Fuck off Cortana.
>>
Cotana is the AI voice from the win 10? please don't tell me that AI voice from win x is name fuckin Cortana
>>
>>62099049
I wish brainlets would stop posting this without actually understanding the content of the image.
>>
>>62097333
They need to make win 7 viable again. We where fine with it
>>
>>62101783
7 is perfectly viable. It's a bit of a clusterfuck to install because it needs modern drivers to be installed later, but once it's running the only thing it lacks is DX12. I don't get this "Windows 7 is outdated" meme when literally everyone still releases software and drivers for it.
>>
>>62101605
Cortana is cute!

>>62101783
>>62101815
win7 is a phenomenal example that marketing > reality
>vista is fucking garbage, ruined windows post XP
>rebrand
>suddenly everyone loves Vis-- I mean 7
You microsoft cunts really do need a swift bullet in the head.
>>
>>62101865
>a bloo bloo
>ur dum
The only reason brainlets like you thought Vista was "shit" was companies like HP trying to sell it on single core Pentium 4s with 512MB of RAM. Of course it ran like shit on that. Windows 7 is basically a Vista service pack that improved everything.

I'm sorry your free software will never be used by a significant number of desktop users, but that's your problem. If 98% of the world disagrees with you, the burden is on you to prove you're right. You're lucky most Windows users don't even know your pathetic OS exists, or we would crush you like the cockroaches you are.
>>
>>62102065
>Windows 7 is basically a Vista service pack that improved everything.
More like windows 7 was released when hardware could run the steamy POS that is windows unlike vista.
>>
>>62102065
>defending vista
And this is what I mean.
Brilliant Microsoft strategy. Can't wait for the Windows 11 shilling around here and then shortly after Windows 10 defending. Truly amazing what a world we live in.
>>
>>62102153
>Getting mad that someone's defending something from brainless shitposting and memes
Surely if Vista was so awful you could do better than "Vista is bad because I said so!".

>Truly amazing what an enlightened human I am, above your petty minds in every way
God you're such a self righteous little shitball.
>>
>>62101865
You either don't remember well or you didn't use Vista at it's release.

Vista had TERRIBLE performance unless you had top of the line specs.

That was the first time you needed a good PC just to run an OS. My PC got like 10-15 fps more in any game on XP than on Vista. Also it was BSODing like crazy.

When W7 came out it had better performance and was much more stable. People didn't dislike Vista entirely, it was just due to bugs, BSODs, drivers and shit performance. If Vista released the way W7 released it would be a success. Now go back to jerking off to imaginary girls you absolute cretin.

>win7 is a phenomenal example that marketing > reality
You are a phenomenal example of why condoms were invented.
>>
>>62102122
Do you have something useful to say that doesn't involve your scat fetish?
>muh shit
>shit shit
>everything is shit
>shit indian shit xD
>shit in streets EPIC WIN

None of those are arguments.
>>
>>62102065
>if a large group of people supports it it has to be right
Stalin approves.
>>
>>62102213
That's not what I said, but if you had more than strawmen you wouldn't be shitposting on /g/.

>If a large majority of people believe something to be true, and can put forward evidence to support it; the burden of proof generally falls on dissenting opinions as to why the prevailing opinion is incorrect
Find a flaw.
>>
File: iphone-screen.png (575KB, 480x850px) Image search: [Google]
iphone-screen.png
575KB, 480x850px
It's not only Microsoft. Lazy design is a trend now.
>>
>>62102279
If MS were lazy they wouldn't have made 2nd control panel and they would actually be better off.

iOS launcher is as simple as it gets.
>>
>>62097333
Torn up shirt
>>
>>62102229
Except your 'evidence' is that 98% of users choose Windows:
>>62102065
>I'm sorry your free software will never be used by a significant number of desktop users, but that's your problem. If 98% of the world disagrees with you, the burden is on you to prove you're right.

>If 98% of the world disagrees with you, the burden is on you to prove you're right.
You have nothing but personal anecdotes; no evidence, no numbers. Same here, honestly, but at least I'm not trying to use the bandwagon argument to promote an OS made by people who want ads in their start menu.
>>
I hate how major updates fail with full disk encryption.
>>
>>62101865
Vista was great after SP1. I'm fully aware that Win7 is just the next service pack for Vista sold as a new OS - and that's why I like it.

I think with the way technology advances slower these days, we shouldn't need a new version of Windows every 3-4 years. They could have just kept patching 7 indefinitely.
>>
>>62101263
Search worked in 7, it just sucked. I don't think search has been any good since 98 IIRC.
>>
>>62101682
Yes, even the version supplied to businesses and the government calls the search function/assistant "Cortana".
>>
Microsoft is like the austro-hungarian empire.
It just needs a good WWI that will wipe them out
>>
>>62102679
I agree. Which is why I encourage using Everything.

>>62103013
Most autistic shit on this board right now and that's including the apple spam.
>>
>>62097317
I had to gravitationally bend space-time to sync universe time to windows time
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.