[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the R3 1200 have a TDP of 65 watts when it only consumes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 89223 (1).png (30KB, 650x300px)
89223 (1).png
30KB, 650x300px
Why does the R3 1200 have a TDP of 65 watts when it only consumes a max of 40 watts?

This thing is so cold it could easily be cooled by passive cooling on a mini-itx machine.
>>
>>62036932
I don't think anyone knows what TDP means anymore, including me.
>>
>>62037319
It's just a spec so the guys designing cooling know what to target as a typical use case. It should ideally be similar to power consumption since most of the electricity turns to waste heat.
>>
>>62037319
Or AMD and intel for that matter, especially intel.
>>
>>62036932

TDP is not power draw.

>>62037319

How much energy lost as heat a cooler needs to dissipate to keep a product (in this case, cpu) within normal operating temperatures. The oft-forgotten part of TDP is the equation to work it out is related to ambient temps, so people living on extreme ends of the scale scan - in practical terms - skew the TDP of a given cooler.
>>
>>62036932
because it is unlocked.

it comes with a 65W cpu cooler so you can do some overclocking with it.
>>
>>62037381
This is very false for intel (not sure how much for AMD). Their i7-7700K claims a TDP of 91 watts yet requires a state-of-the-art AIO with at minimum 3 120mm fans on the radiator to reach stable temps BEFORE even attempting to overclock.
>>
>>62036932
tdp is the maximum rated cooling solution
just like intel says 7900x has a tdp of 140 and the actual chip gets 353 watts...resulting in a china syndrome situation
>>
>>62037439
I wonder if their TDP rating takes into account the toothpaste TIM they're using? If you put liquid metal on that bitch ass die then a regular air cooler should be alright for stock.
>>
>>62037381
>TDP is not power draw.
Energy in = energy out
>>
>>62037439

Not only is that not true for required cooling under normal operating scenarios their 91w TDP claim is fairly accurate - AVX2 demolishes it though which is why Intel; chips throttle HARD under AVX2 to prevent meltdown.

>>62037473

Again, power draw =/= TDP. Having a physically larger package allows for larger surface contact with the IHS which (potentially) leads to better contact with baseplates of coolers which leads to better dissipation. ThreadRipper is a great example of this is because threadripepr is fucking massive and all that surface area is wonderful for cooling purposes.

>>62037505

No anon.
>>
>>62037371
>less than 30W increase from stock to 5.1GHz
that's pretty crazy
>>
>>62037516
>No anon.
Thermodynamics are a bitch, aren't they?
>>
>>62037516
>No anon.
where does the power go then?
>>
>>62037516
actual chip power draw is one thing
tdp is another
well it depends who states the numbers to be honest
amd sets the tdp as the max power draw
intel well not even they know
nvidia same shit
>>
>>62036932
Its means they don't have to spend more on testing to verify what the "exact" tdp of 1200s are. They're comfortable with 65w rating.

>>62037473
TDP is not the maximum, neither AMD nor Intel uses maximum thermal cooling rating with maximum in mind. They use typical/average loads for TDP.
>>
>>62037658
i havent seen a ryzen surpassing its rated tdp so far(in real world not torture loops)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.