[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/, I'm starting university this fall and I need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: LibreOffice.png (16KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
LibreOffice.png
16KB, 220x220px
Alright /g/, I'm starting university this fall and I need a word processor. I've been using pic related but it's slow and buggy and I don't know if I would trust it with 20+ page papers I will be writing.

For writing short paragraphs or text documents I've been using vim and the more I use it the easier it is. Is there a way to use vim like a word processor, maybe make it save in .odt format?

Any other word processing software that is lightweight and simple? I considered using vim with LaTeX extension but I don't know if it can export as .odt.
>>
Professors are going to think you are an omega autist, just use Word my man.
>>
Just buy word if you're a pussy
>>
>>62030246
>>62030248
I haven't used Windows for 13 years. I only have Linux on my computers. I thought I mentioned that but it seems I deleted it before posting.
>>
Your Idea of vim + LaTeX seems good. You could use TeXMaker if you prefer a GUI. Do you need to deliver .odt? Cant it be PDF?
>>
WordGrinder and pandoc might help.
>>
>>62030305
I'd like to be able to do both pdf and odt.

This anon >>62030324 suggested pandoc. I looked it up and it seems exactly what I need. I can do vim + LaTeX and then convert to whatever format (even .docx).

Also this is a powerful and useful feature as I hate writing bibliographies and citations by hand.
>Pandoc includes a powerful system for automatic citations and bibliographies, using pandoc-citeproc (which derives from Andrea Rossato's citeproc-hs). This means that you can write a citation like
[see @doe99, pp. 33-35; also @smith04, ch. 1]

>and pandoc will convert it into a properly formatted citation using any of hundreds of CSL styles (including footnote styles, numerical styles, and author-date styles), and add a properly formatted bibliography at the end of the document. Many forms of bibliography database can be used, including bibtex, RIS, EndNote, ISI, MEDLINE, MODS, and JSON citeproc. Citations work in every output format.
>>
make sure your department allows submissions to be in odt format. in my experience they allow doc, pdf and maybe dvi if you're STEM
>>
>>62030414
I am STEM, but I'm in Europe. And in Europe ODF is the standard. I believe it is the standard for NATO as well.
>>
>>62030227
>it's slow and buggy and I don't know if I would trust it with 20+ page papers I will be writing
lies, lies and more lies

i've been using pic related for the past 13 years, even when it was openoffice still and never did i encounter a bug in any document of any size

you shiteater designated street shitters really need to shill harder for microsoft because this is really some low level astroturfing shit
>>
>>62030432
>you shiteater designated street shitters really need to shill harder for microsoft
>>62030264
>I haven't used Windows for 13 years. I only have Linux on my computers.
???
>>
>>62030432
this post is purposely written in an inflammatory tone, and is probably bait. lets ignore the perfidious trolls
>>
>>62030227
Libre Office is so much better than anything I've ever used, it's much less buggy than Word and more light weight. I trust it more with longer documents than the steaming pile of crap made my Microsoft.
My only problem is that many of my clients use Word and are technically illiterate so sending them an .odt document is out of question and the .docx that Libre Office generates are not always compatible with Word since Microsoft specifically tried to make it as proprietary as possible.
What my solution is, register for a free Microsoft account and just use word online when you need it.
Write documents in Libre Office and the. Copy them over to Word and format it as you like.
>>
>>62030444
kill yourself pajeet scum
>>
>>62030227
I've written my bachelor thesis in LibreOffice Writer. It's fine.
>>
>>62030227
WPS or Google docs
>>
>>62030460
the summer never ends :(
>>
>>62030227
lyx
>>
File: 00.png (91KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
00.png
91KB, 1366x768px
>>62030227
Spoilers, all word processors start to suck when you get to a real size. Do yourself a favour and work out how to use LaTeX on small reports and then when you get to your dissertations you wont choke on >15k words with tables/figures/etc.

I used MiKTeX (https://miktex.org/) as my package manager, with TeX Studio (http://texstudio.sourceforge.net/) as the edtior because it has an amazing split preview which is really nice when you're spending hours every day writing the same document.
>>
Vim without formating for quick notes.
Vim + LaTeX for formating
>>
>>62030395
You could use LyX, it handles all the LaTeX for you, just write what you want, including bibliographies.
>>
>>62030227
The latest Writer is faster than the latest Word.
I don't know what MS is doing, 2010 was still ok, but now it's shit and full of online crap.

I also never encountered any bugs in LO Writer and I've written some long complex documents (100 pages with graphs, drawings and all that).

>Any other word processing software that is lightweight and simple?
No. Word processors are by definition not lightweight and simple.
Abiword was the lightest, but it's buggy and now pretty much deprecated.
>>
>>62030227
LibreOffice can auto-save so I don't see any issue with stability, you'll be fine. I started out using it, but now type everything in Google drive/docs. Easy to share between any devices, access from library printing stations, share with classmates or teachers for advice. Afterwards you can export it in any format you might need to attach to an email, or copy and paste the text into a LaTeX document of your choice.
>>
>>62030246
ms word is just as unreliable for long documents
>>
Download Office 97 off torrents and run on via Wine on Linux. Works perfectly, very stable, tiny footprint, no botnet.
>>
>>62030227
I've been using LaTeX for college and it's been worth the learning curve. Just checked and I'm able to export to .odt

I do have MS Word in case I need to submit .docx or collaborate with people who use it. Google Docs and Office 365 are probably enough, though.

My setup: I take class notes with Emacs org-mode. Class notes are converted to Anki-importable CSV and synced to my phone (with a script I wrote) and to PDF with LaTeX for study guides. I've also integrated it with my GTD stuff. It's pure autism but it gets me through rough times.
>>
>>62032616
cont.

Papers/pubs are written with auctex and using git for version control. I'm sure you can do all this in Vim but idk how.

>>62030246
STEM Professors and TAs fucking love LaTeX formatting. In my experience they're more lenient in grading because they just assume it's good.
>>
>>62032616
Sounds great, to be honest.

>>62032675
>and using git for version control
Tell me more about this. I've been thinking of setting up a git server on a $3/mo. VPS plan just so I can have all my documents available in one place and would be able to sync them between computers.

How did you set yours up?
>>
>>62030227
If that's slow and buggy then my man, it's time for a better PC. Or try abiword i guess, but it's worse.
>>
>>62032616
>>62032675

Our uni basically just assumes everyone knows/will learn latex eventually, in master's course I haven't seen a single paper submitted in anything else as latex-formated pdf.
>>
File: absolutely_proprietary_0.jpg (43KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely_proprietary_0.jpg
43KB, 480x451px
>>62030227
I think your choices so far are fine to go in with. You might hit a wall with some professors where you may need to use proprietary software but that's life- a word processor will only take a few seconds to install and you'll likely only need it for a few dozen hours any given semester so we're not talking about permanent life choices here. Your University likely will give you a Microsoft Office license for free, philosophical costs be damned. That said you will have to do group projects and your fellow student WILL want to work with shared Google Docs/Slides/Sheets/Drive in which case you should use your .edu email to create a Google account exclusively for school work.

>t.completed my STEM degree this summer
>>
>>62032703
I went the lazy route. GitHub gives students unlimited private repositories (Student Developer Pack) so I just keep my stuff there.

That sounds like a good idea, though. I might do that after I graduate.
>>
>>62030227
If you use LaTeX, some professors will likely think you are an autist.

I've been using LibreOffice since my first semester and my professors don't even notice when I send docx open/strict. I sometimes also send odt and they don't seem to notice that either. It is very rare that the formatting is an issue for me.
>>
>>62030227
you should be submitting PDFs when you turn in assignments anyways. what you make it in is irrelevant
>>
>>62033379
The first time LibreOffice formatting burns you is the last time you'll ever use it.

t. student who submitted an unknowingly mangled paper and got fucked
>>
>>62033449
At my college, the professors use the desktop version of Office 2016 from Office 365 and it has complete support for open/strict docx. I have never had a problem with submitting documents written with LO. The fact is though: most professors prefer papers that have been printed out to papers submitted digitally anyway, making the whole autism regarding what format you send it in to be a non-issue. Plus, if you are THAT concerned with compatibility, you can easily use the .doc format and it will be compatible everywhere.
>>
>>62033449
Why the fuck not just submit pdfs?
>>
>>62030227
wine + office 2010 then faggot
>>
>>62030227
Use latex and submit in PDF. Some profs will only use and accept word documents. Your uni will give you a free copy of Microsoft Office or have them on school computers. Use that for other times. If you go farther in school, everyone uses latex for papers. Learn to love it.
>>
>>62030227
WPS Office. It's a chinese clone of Microsoft word.
>>
>>62033759
>Why the fuck not just submit pdfs?

Seriously. And with LibreOffice there's a "Save to PDF" button right next to "Print."
>>
>>62030227
How about onlyoffice? Or markdown (I like haroopad)?
>>
>>62030227
Working fine here for big documents. The only possible problem may be MS office compatibility but this is much less likely each release. Depends on your needs but that differences are not LO fault. ODF is well documented and is an ISO standard. OOXML is supposed to be an ISO standard but unfortunately the program that creates +98% of OOXML documents doesn't honors that standard and uses a proprietary variable. Standards are supposed to provide compatibility among competing solutions but due to the OOXML variant used by MSO needing to be reverse engineered this makes the ISO certification moot. In fact there's info about OOXML being pushed just as a PR move done under shady circumstances.
http://noooxml.wikidot.com/open:rejectooxmlnow

I'm not sure about your requirements but in general:
- Use libreoffice and save your documents in ODF if you want to be always the owner of those documents and never depend on one entity. IF you need to share that document and it'll not be edited by other people use PDF.
- For documents that needs to be edited by more than one person i recommend online solutions like google docs. Honestly, unless you definitely need a feature only available on MSO, google docs is much nicer for working collaboratively.
- If you need to deal with Microsoft formats and you don't want to use their products you can check onlyoffice or WPS office.
- If you don't mind to use microsoft products but you don't like windows you can run MS office 2007 or 2010 on wine. I think you can run MSO 2013 with a recent version of crossver but i'm not sure about wine.

In 95% of the cases i'm well covered by libreoffice and google docs.
>>
>>62030227
Use pandoc and compile to PDF
https://youtu.be/hpAJMSS8pvs?t=5m25s

like latex but for retards (you can embed latex in it too)
>>
Just use whatever and export to pdf
>>
>>62035997
>>62035989
>>62035100
>>62033759

/thread
>>
>>62030227
Check out pandoc. With that you should be able to use markdown (with some additions like better tables, figures and tex math) and output to whatever you want.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.