[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do they program in countries that don't speak English?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: beeplugin_languages.png (94KB, 600x311px) Image search: [Google]
beeplugin_languages.png
94KB, 600x311px
How do they program in countries that don't speak English? Do they still use English for their variables and functions or do they use their native language?
>>
Depends on the place.

Where I live we still use English, albeit some programmers don't know how to speak English as well as I do- I've seen many typing abd grammatical errors on variable names and comments.
>>
>>62027232
English is literally the easiest language to learn and the majority of the world speaks it well enough for basic communication.
>>
>>62028341
>the majority of the world speaks it well enough for basic communication
yeah, about that...
>>
>>62028341
>i have never left the comfort of my mother's basement here in moosenipples, arkansas
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>62027232

most people who learn how to program also had a very good education which in non-english countries often includes at least basic english education. however this is not always the case.

there are "wrapper languages" that allow use of native words from a language and then compiles it back to the original words used in the programming language, but most often the programmers will just memorize what combination of symbols means what. there usually aren't that many of them that you use with regularity, and the rest can just be looked up in a book.
>>
>>62027232
Not using English in variable names and such is kind of mauvais tone here.
>>
>>62027232

it depends. i currently live in germany and a lot of my company's internal code has german variable names & comments, but code meant for being external is usually translated to english
>>
>>62027232

Depends.

If it's a small inhouse shit and im 100% sure nobody outside a small scope of people will ever look at my code, I use english. If it's more "professional" I switch to english, to make sure future devs can read my code even if they are not germans.

For most smaller variables I use english terms anyway (of course you say "iterator" instead of "iterierer" and so on), but it's often easier to use the native words for higher abstraction (i.e. data models) because customers will also use the german words here..
>>
>>62028867
I lived in half a dozen countries, visited another two dozen, across three continents. Three of the countries I've lived in don't have English as their official language, most of the countries I visited don't have English as an official language. They spoke English to some extent everywhere. Wouldn't call it conversational, but as I said, enough for basic conversation. English isn't even my native language but I speak it better than my native language.

Not everyone on 4chan is a basement-dwelling American.
>>
File: larry.jpg (62KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
larry.jpg
62KB, 720x720px
>>62029280
Why do people feel the need to tell outlandish lies just to "win" a pointless internet argument?
>>
>>62029280
>English isn't even my native language but I speak it better than my native language.
Are you Irish?
>>
>>62029305
No, he's a burgerclapistanian.
>>
>>62029202
Dude it's "Iterator" in german
>>
>>62027232
shit tier people use their own language

actually skilled people use english
>>
>>62029355
>actually skilled people
only semi-intellectuals* do that
>>62027232
I'm not english and I use words like niger1 niger2 gypsy jew123
>>
File: 1494498386708.jpg (56KB, 500x622px) Image search: [Google]
1494498386708.jpg
56KB, 500x622px
>>62027232
Because they are not too stupid to learn other languages.
>>
>>62027232
It's a good practice to use English names. Non-English programmers still generally know English.
>>
>>62027232
You don't have to learn things like grammar to program. Just what the different letters are and then remember words.

Sometimes variable names can be in native language, it really depends on the programming language and IDE being used but it is more likely they will use letters or short words for variable/function names and comment them in their native language.
>>
>>62027232
i live in such a country and in university they teach you poor translations of programming terms and then you have to fucking figure out what the English origin is to look it up and actually learn it from better sources.
>>
>>62029291
>says other people lie about living in and visiting foreign countries
>accuses others of never having left their mom's house
Just because you're like the majority of Americans and haven't left the US doesn't mean the rest of the world is poor.

You know that only one country in Europe has English as their official language, right? So anyone who has traveled around Europe has been to countries where English isn't the official language, yet almost everyone in Europe speaks English (except the French).

I've lived in North America, Europe, Caribbean (C. America) and South America. English has become the de facto world language.

>>62029305
I'm Croatian, but I haven't lived there for the last 14 years. Hence why my English is better.
>>
>>62029625
>16th unique ip in the thread
For this drivel you felt the need to change your IP or grab the phone?
>>
>>62029638
His Tor browser keeps changing the circuit. Almost all of his posts are from a different address. He's hoping the foreign IPs will keep a mod/janny from outing him as an American.
>>
File: IMG_20170822_120259.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_120259.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
>>62029638
>being this autistic
I went from wifi to 4G and now I'm back on (a different) wifi network.

>>62029810
>American
Americans don't have world's best power outlets.
>>
>>62029896
>being so autistic that random posts on a chinese tapestry social network can make you take pictures of wall plugs
>>
>>62029914
>he thinks it's autistic to post images on an imageboard
You have to go back.
>>
>>62030053
>he doesn't think it's autistic to get baited for being a pathological liar on a taiwanese finger painting newsgroup
You have to keep posting.
>>
>>62030066
>proved not living in America
>pathological liar
Yeah dude, whatever you say. Pure jealousy is seeping from your posts. It's not my fault you live in a third world shithole and have never been past the borders of your own country. You probably don't even have a passport.

Enjoy your cucked life, Amerifat. I'm hiding this thread.
>>
>>62029019
Serious question because I read a lot of code like you're describing. Do German speakers go out of their way to use English cognates so it is clearer to English speakers? A lot of languages are Germanic and Latin in root.

I think it could be interesting to really strip down these languages to a few words so anyone could read it when it comes to variable and function names
>>
>>62030124
No, don't hide the thread. Tell us more of your harrowing stories about international mystery and world exploits where everyone speaks English and has funny wall outlets shaped like a six-armed Santa Claus.
>>
>>62027232
german speaker here. my code is English
>>
>>62030124
>i'm asshurt because i called out for bullshitting
I'm sorry. Would you like some creme to rub on it?
>>
Pole here, at my current workplace we write everything in english, even the UI, at the last stage of development we translate it back to polish
>>
File: haha.png (60KB, 231x252px) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
60KB, 231x252px
>>62030136
>funny wall outlets shaped like a six-armed Santa Claus.
>>
>>62027232
I am living in a former USSR country. While developers here use English words for variables, function names and such, their vocabulary is usually pretty scarse beyond jargon terms and their knowledge of grammar is virtually non-existent. So while they know how to properly title certain parts of the code, they would not be able to complete even a simple sentence describing mundane things.
>>
>>62030145
this
>>
Everything I've done since the start of Uni was entirely English.
I've not spoken my home tongue in literally years.
>>
File: 4L_NkTk3dM0.jpg (413KB, 3081x1065px) Image search: [Google]
4L_NkTk3dM0.jpg
413KB, 3081x1065px
>>62030124
enjoy noarms
>>
Fuck u nibba
>>
Well the italian tutorials are shit so i only use the english documentation.
Still, for my personal projects i use italian variable names because i'm dumb and i need a way to distinguish my functions from the ones of the library/framework i'm using
>>
File: edit.gif (22KB, 576x392px) Image search: [Google]
edit.gif
22KB, 576x392px
Get in here, weebs.

http://kujirahand.com/himawari/
>>
All my variables are the words "counter", "word" and "value" in different languages and uppercase if I'm ever running short.
Developped that at first to annoy my classmates that would do one variable name in english and one in french. Now I'm used to it and can't stop.
>>
Where I'm from, the only people who write code (professionally) but can't speak English are old guys who studied engineering and later got into working with Fortran or something.

Practically all code is in English, including comments.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.