[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it safe to leave my laptop charger plugged in to my laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: laptop plugged in.jpg (37KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
laptop plugged in.jpg
37KB, 650x434px
Is it safe to leave my laptop charger plugged in to my laptop at all times, /g/? When at work, I have to use a laptop and I keep it plugged in just so I don't have to worry about the battery dying and what not but my co-workers are constantly telling me it's bad for the computer
>>
>>62004070
No
>>
>>62004070
If you're always leaving it plugged in, what difference does it make if the battery goes to shit?
>>
reduces battery life over time
>>
>>62004070
It's fine especially with new stuff, the batteries are built to handle stupid shit like that. If it is literally never moving from the charger just pull the battery that way it will not constantly naturally drain to 90% and then get pushed back to full.

in reality its nothing to be worried about
>>
>>62004122
>in reality its nothing to be worried about
False
Lithium ion batteries perform best between 20% and 80% capacity.Constantly leaving it in will damage the batteires capacity.You may have a 12 hour battery but leaving it plugged in 24/7 for a year will easily reduce it to 8 hours
>>
>>62004070
this killed my thinkpad battery because I always left it in a docking station.
Now I unplug it when it is not in use and praise lelnovo for exchangeable batteries.
>>
>>62004150
But as >>62004083 said, if he's keeping it plugged in all the time, then why would the reduced battery life matter?
>>
>>62004239
Youll come to a point where you cant even remove it from the charger because the battery is fried.Then youll have a dead laptop that you cant even power on with the charger in
>>
>>62004070
Just take the battery out. The laptop will keep running without it if it is plugged in.
>>
>>62005918
>Just take the battery out
implying you can do that on a macbook
>>
Some computers have battery life extender software, it will no charge the battery more than 60 or 80%, you can leave those plugged in.
In other cases, just unplug the charger one time a weekand let battery go down to 40% and charge it again
>>
nope
battery runs best at 40% to 80% and requires occasional full discharge and charge for recalibration
you can have smart battery management software to ensure longevity but you still need to charge dischage fully for recalibration
>>
>>62004070
It will put some wear on the battery.
But no more than using it on battery power for the same amount of time.

At the very most you will be tempted to use your laptop more often or leave it on indefinitely, since you're not forced to shut it down due to low battery, which means more wear than normal use.

And don't get anal about it.
Batteries are consumption goods, you're supposed to replace them every 2 years or so and they're not that expensive.

>>62005957
>unplug the charger one time a weekand let battery go down to 40% and charge it again

This does nothing for Li-ion.
>>
>>62004070
if
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.