[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to be watching the Great American Eclipse on Monday, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 1488116773735.jpg (878KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488116773735.jpg
878KB, 1536x1024px
Going to be watching the Great American Eclipse on Monday, but I didn't prepare and so don't have any viewing glasses. Everywhere is sold out already of course - so I had an idea. How many pairs of sunglasses would I need to wear to cut down the harmful UVA and UVB to levels that won't hurt my eyes?

Pic related will be the sun.
>>
Just stare at it like everyone else will. Scientist just tell you not to because they're cowards who spend most of their time in dimly lit rooms with mice (which are also cowards).

Ut's only bad if you stare at it for longer than a day.
>>
>>61982803
During the actual total eclipse it is safe to take off your filter, according to NASA. Just not while it is only partially covered. But yeah I mean... I've looked at the sun before. Not blind yet.
>>
>>61982771
Get a piece of clear glass, then 'burn' it with a lighter so it's all black. You can look through the blackened glass at the eclipse safely.
>>
>>61982771
Just black the sun with your phone, open the camera and watch it through the screen.
>>
Use a binocular and a tripod (or be creative with the stand). Damage from UV can be subtle, and why the fuck would you gamble your eyes to view something as inconsequential as an eclipse?
>>
Just get some welding goggles nigga
>>
>>61982771
Look through an unprinted CD or DVD. Preferably a recordable as the aubstrate is thicker.
>>
just poke a hole with a sharp pencil in a piece of paper and look through the hole dumbass
>>
>>61983464
Holy shit this is brilliant.
>>
>>61984123
This.
>>
OP the problem isn't just UVA/B, it's basic visible light intensity. If you're looking directly at the full eclipse while it's ending, your eyes don't have time to adjust to the sudden spike in intensity. This kills the eyes.

>>61984093
most welding goggles aren't safe for this either
>>
>>61982771
Chip packet will work (make sure it's not scratched), welding glass too if it's the right grade.
>>
>>61984495
Yes they are jackass, especially electrode ones
>>
>>61985392
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/17/eclipse-glasses-alternatives-most-welders-lenses-not-suitable-viewing-safely/578679001/
>According to the NASA total eclipse website, a shade 14 welding lens is the only lens adequate for viewing the eclipse.
>Holston Gasses Vice President Phil Kirby said the lens most commonly selected for welding is a shade 10 or 11.
>"We stock from a 9 to a 13 lens (and) usually don't stock a 14 unless ordered," he said.
>>
Use binoculars, they make the image bigger which spreads the power of the sun over a larger part of your eye, decreasing the power per area and keeping your eyes safe. Look for binoculars with big lenses at the front.
>>
>>61985448
This is the preferred method used by top scientists.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-19-13-55-25.png (415KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-19-13-55-25.png
415KB, 1080x1920px
>>61985477
Also my recaptcha had reddit tier spacing.
>>
>>61985500
>>61985477

Also got dubs of truth twice in a row.
>>
>>61985448
Even less chance of eye damage if you use a telescope.
>>
>>61984093
>>61984495

Welding goggles are rated with a 'Shade' number. Higher number blocks more light.
You need at least Shade 12.

Most common goggles are Shade 5
>>
>>61985431
That's why he said electrode ones. 10-13 is mostly stocked because that's all that's needed for torch welding.
>>
>>61985579
and that's why i said "most", not "all".
>>
>>61982771
Retarded astronomy thread?
I partially melted some welder's goggles by using my telescope to look at the sun. Could've fucked my telescope too.
>>
>>61985659
You probably looked at the sun at sunset or sunrise. Because the sun is larger at these times it can cause damage. At noon, the sun is at its smallest and therefore safe to observe.
>>
>>61984236
This
When did the world forget this is how to stare at the sun
>>
When I was a kid, I lived in a house that had a screen door on the back. On sunny summer/autumn evenings, light from the setting sun would shine through a tiny pinhole in the seal of the screendoor, and cast a perfect image of the sunset on the wall, upside down.
>>
>>61987234
Nice
Would make a cool album cover

Where is it so I could see it
>>
>>61983464
delet
>>
>>61985448
>>61985477
Don't do this, this makes mustard gas.
>>
>>61982771
Go to hardware store and get welding mask.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.