[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which distro does /g/ recommend and why? I'm thinking of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

which distro does /g/ recommend and why? I'm thinking of becoming a penguinfag because wangblows pisses me off
>>
gentoo or void
>>
openbsd
>>
Portage package manager is the only way
>>
>>61963180
xubuntu
>>
If you have no experience with Gnu/Linux or another Unix-like, then just go with a normal beginner distro like Ubuntu or OpenSuse. They're simple to get started with and none of the differences will mean anything when you're just starting out.
After having used the system for a year or so look at switching.
>>
>>61963197
why is it a meme to shill for gentoo? is it really that good?
>>
>>61963336
It's good, but you should lurk more
>>
>>61963289
NEVER OPENSUSE.
>>
>>61963453
What's wrong with it? I've never actually used it, but it looks to be a pretty decent pre-configured distro and I didn't want to shill only for Ubuntu.
>>
>>61963552
It has graphical applications and btrfs as default.
>>
There should be a chart for distro selection like the one in OP's picture.
>>
File: 1500334909424.png (69KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1500334909424.png
69KB, 512x512px
>>61963180
This one
>>
>>61963180
If you are beginner, try linux mint kde
>>
>>61963180
Believe me, you should have a very good reason to switch from Windows because in terms of user experience GNU/Linux is an inferior system. Your hardware will perform worse and you'll find yourself lacking good proprietory software.
As for a first distro - Ubuntu based distros are the best (not the Ubuntu distro itself) - the have big repositories and good release cycle (twice a year). Fedora is also great. It is less stable but a lot snappier. Would probably use it if package manager wasn't so slow.
>>
File: 1447966758599.jpg (39KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447966758599.jpg
39KB, 480x800px
>non-idiot
>having a life
Normies are retarded
>>
>>61963180
I installed arch the other day and I'm not having any issues. I'm not using it as much as I thought I would because there doesn't seem to be a program that has better video quality than VLC and that's shit.
>>
>>61963632
User experience on n*x is incomparably better if you're actually willing to learn the system and not approach it expecting a different version of Windows. Although, even in the latter case I would argue that it's still better because trying to do any kind of vaguely complicated system management on Windows is a complete nightmare.

>>61963661
mpv
>>
>>61963180
Start with Ubuntu. It's not the best but because all newbies flock to it you'll be able to find a lot of answers to your stupid questions by simply searching online.
>>
>>61963571
btrfs is good though
>>
>>61963706
>mpv
It was one of the first things I installed. Are there settings that I'm missing? I played the same video in mpv and vlc side by side and they looked exactly the same. It was night and day when I did the same with mpc-hc and vlc. Does mpv even have a sharpening option?
>>
>>61963180
Gentoo or LFS
>>
>>61963632
>hardware performing worse
not that bad anymore: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeonsi-beats-wingl&num=1
I heavily suspect the remaining differences be due to the implementations of their OpenGL renderers compared to their D3D renderers; e.g. xonotic which is purely OpenGL does better on linux.
>lacking good proprietary software
ok
>>
>>61963720
Or any distro derived from ubuntu really
>>
CloverOS
>>
>>61963336
just lurk moar and you will understand

in the meantime just shill for gentoo like everyone else
>>
>>61963180
Solus
>>
>>61964191
it's shit
>>
>>61963180
Slackware Current. Good new packages, Source based, but with binaries in the initial packages, so no wasting a day compiling gentoo. Strictly adheres to a standard. You install it and can start doing your job normally as you might already have the libs you need.
The downsides:
>No extra packages
slackbuilds and alienBOB exists, but it might require some tweaking in the build script.
>Manual dependency management
It does take more time to build a package, but dependencies are hardly the problem because your system might already have.
>Muh bloat
If you have the space go for it. Linux filesystems are different and work better when actively using it.
>>
>>61964221
It's very fast, actually.
>>
>>61964365
fuck off kevin
>>
File: 1502011727189s.jpg (6KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1502011727189s.jpg
6KB, 250x249px
Ubuntu pisses me off.
Somehow it managed to stop working literally every dist upgrade I got it through. Even just LTS->LTS ones.

It's all fixable and all, but I shouldn't need to fix broken packages, broken ethernet, broken drivers, broken Xorg or error boxes on logon (harmless, but annoying) every single time I update something more "core" than Firefox.

Ubuntu is the woman of distros. It is popular and even a retard can deal with it, but the only way around the hoops it wants you to jump through is to not have it around. Low risk, low reward, high bullshit.
>>
Not OP but also looking to switch, I was looking at Zorin OS, (also might dualboot windows 7 because I'm not ready to give it up cold turkey).

Decent entry distro or no?
>>
>>61963336
its a distro so good its a joke since it does some things in a more tedious way
>>
File: 46.png (86KB, 460x501px) Image search: [Google]
46.png
86KB, 460x501px
>>61963180
ftfy
>>
>>61963180
>which distro does /g/ recommend and why? I'm thinking of becoming a penguinfag because wangblows pisses me off
Gentoo
Arch
Parabola
Swagarch
Devuan
Debian
>>
There are 10 kinds of /g/entoomen:
>those who installed gentoo at least once
>consumer whores who should have a ghetto containment board because they are retard normies
>wannabees
>>
Linux mint cinnamon. Perfect for newfags especially former windows users.
>>
File: 1501006987091.png (159KB, 800x575px) Image search: [Google]
1501006987091.png
159KB, 800x575px
>>
>>61963289
>OpenSuse
Didn't know that was a good babby's first distro.

Could you rice it?
>>
>>61963748

Yeah. Mpv can achieve the same quality as mpc-hc while being lightweight and more customizable. Look for those in the mpv general thread.
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-08-14_20-09-13.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-08-14_20-09-13.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Just give up and go for Ubuntu like every noob
>>
>>61963180
>because wangblows pisses me off
How so? Perhaps we can help you not get mad and continue to use the best OS available.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.