[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ is this worth learning? I trying to set up Vim for LaTeX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: image_search_1502985518463.png (97KB, 551x601px) Image search: [Google]
image_search_1502985518463.png
97KB, 551x601px
/g/ is this worth learning? I trying to set up Vim for LaTeX but I gave up. Is this better?
>>
If you like meme editors, then yes.
>>
What editor is best then?
>>
>>61950510
Yes, it is very worth learning if you don't care about it taking a minute to start. It has the power of vim keybindings and the usability of Emacs lisp (Emacs lisp is far better than vimscript)
>>
>>61951053
>if you don't care about it taking a minute to start
This is basically the only reason I use neovim.
I want to open and close my editor all the fucking time and not have to wait on a bunch of gui loading dammit.
>>
>>61951132
Well spacemacs takes me about 2.6 seconds to load with an ssd. Sublime loads instantly.
>>
>>61950510
>set up Vim for LaTeX
Take a look at that!
We got a Luke Smith subscriber here.
>>
Yep, especially with spacebar being your leader key for a lot of function and commands. You don't have to chord Ctrl/Alt with another key for a lot of command. You just type it all out.
e.g. (C = Control, M = Meta/alt key, SPC = space bar)
to save with normal emacs
C-x C-f
With spacemacs
SPC f s

To create a split horizontal window in emacs
C-x 2
Spacemacs
SPC w -

You also have layers with spacemacs, which gives you multiple packages and configurations to work better with spacemacs.
e.g. the Latex layer includes Auctex (environment for writing LaTex documents in emacs) and keybindings to take advantage of the spacebar leader key.
>>61951053
>>61951132
You can run it as a background daemon and use emacsclient to summon a buffer when needed.
>>
How do I install this layer shit?
>>
>>61951582
>>61951053
>>61951132

are you guys aware that emacs can start as a daemon?

do emacsd
then whenever you want to instantiate emacs, run:
emacsclient

then proceed to add that daemon to your init enabled programs, less than a second.
>>
Guys how do I install de latex layer
>>
Obviously not, Acme is far superior than that dinosaur editor
>>
>>61953770
>Guys how do I install de latex layer

Mate if you can't figure this out in either vim or spacemacs maybe these aren't for you.

In spacemacs, edit the dot spacemacs file and uncomment the latex layer. In vim just install vim-latex-suite and edit the texrc file.
>>
Already did it. Thank you anyway
>>
>>61950510
it's better but you'd be better off just setting up your own configuration of Emacs
>>
>>61950510
I STRONGLY discourage anybody from using spacemacs. Don't get me wrong, spacemacs is really solid, and I copy spacemacs functionality that I like into my own config.

But here's the problem: Spacemacs has it's own configuration system (layers). This means you have to learn how they do things, and use their system for setting up your environment.

What happens when you have a problem with spacemacs? You will have to learn more about emacs to debug the issue. Debugging will be hard, since you're debugging not only your own config, but also spacemacs' custom layers. What if you want to add a new package? Instead of doing it the standard way, you'll have to create and configure your own "layer", which is wasted effort.

Basically, spacemacs is great if you plan on never, ever configuring emacs to specifically suit your needs, which is the entire purpose of emacs. It's worth the time to set up your own init.el file. Debugging will be easier, you can configure anything you want without spacemacs' "layers" bureaucracy, and you will learn more about emacs in the process.

To get vim bindings, all you really need is evil-mode. Everything from there is up to you. Here are some of my relevant packages:

evil               
evil-anzu
evil-escape
evil-leader
evil-magit
evil-nerd-commenter
evil-surround
evil-visualstar
expand-region
flycheck
company
helm
magit
nlinum
rainbow-delimiters
shackle
solarized-theme
smart-tabs-mode
which-key
>>
>>61950510
if you already know vim its very easy. just press space and it will show you what your options are.

the latex layer is good. if want it specifically to compile and launch viewer from emacs thats fine in linux. it was too much effort to get working on windows for me, but i still use it for the editing of latex files.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (140KB, 1917x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
140KB, 1917x1005px
>>
Spacemacs is slow, but is emacs faster?
I don't use vim because fuck vimscript and I want my text editor to be an IDE when I want it to.
>>
>>61955228
Yeah Spacemacs is a bloated slow entry-level piece of shit build, that's why it's slow. Emacs is faster, but it can be slow if you make it run external processes, still not nearly as slow as some other modern IDE like Jetbrains or Atom.
>>
I use it pretty much daily, after spending some time configuring it, it can become a very powerful tool that can almost compete with IDEs in terms of ease of use, not even mentioning how comfy the keybinding is, though I personally prefer the emacs keybinding (the vim keybinding isn’t quite comfortable in my opinion with the bépo keyboard layout).
The only time I use an IDE (CLion mostly), it is when I want to have an easier interface for debugging, and to see the occasional suggestions of CLion. And for bigger/larger projects.
>>
>>61954699
It's really fucking hard to get the same interface/visual theme as spacemacs by tinkering your init.el though.
>>
>>61955249
>that's why it's slow
How about a lightweight install and using Ivy instead of Helm?
>>61955291
>can almost compete with IDEs
Why almost? How is it inferior when dealing with debugging or larger projects?
You can easily use gdb with emacs, and organize your projects efficiently, can't you?
>>
>>61950510
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOkCYuPt3E

this guy seems to do fine with vim and latex. what do you mean 'set up vim for latex'? are you hoping it'll do some of the work for you or something?
>>
What's there to set up if you want to write LaTeX in vim? You literally just enable smart indent if you like, maybe fuck around with the automatic color scheme a bit and you're good to go. One fullscreen terminal window for the editor, another workspace with a terminal where you compile & open the pdf in evince, that's all you need.
>>
>>61955356
>Why almost? How is it inferior when dealing with debugging or larger projects?
>You can easily use gdb with emacs, and organize your projects efficiently, can't you?
truth be told, I’m not quite comfortable with gdb, and I prefer the easiness of CLion’s debugger.
As for the project management, I agree it is quite the same between CLion and Spacemacs
>>
>>61950510
I had to use it for a class I took. It's kind of a dumpster fire. When everything's working it's really cool, but right now it's just a hodgepodge of emacs packages and it broke all the time. VIM mode din't work right, as is usual with every vim emulation layer. It'd get confused about what mode I was in. The spacebar being a leader key was really cool, as was it showing you a menu when you pressed it and started hitting keys, but that's easily done in VIM.
>>
Can you install spacemacs without the vi mode?
>>
I don't understand why you would want to use emacs when vim exists aside from elisp.
Emacs is much heavier while vim provides, or can provide, the exact same features.
So why? Emacs isn't an IDE, vim isn't either. No competent programmer works on a professional project with vim/emacs, they'll use actually specialized software for that.
They're both text editors and vim just seems superior.
>>
>>61955474
Yes.
>>
>>61955513
>install spacemacs without the unnecessary shit (vi mode, helm being the main contenders)
>enjoy an improved version of emacs that works ootb and doesn't take five years to start up
There
>>
>>61955564
>unnecessary shit ... helm

DELET THIS POST RIGHT NOW!!!
>>
Anybody tried this? https://github.com/hlissner/.emacs.d
>>
>>61955597
Why use helm when ivy exists? This is not a rhetorical question
>>
>>61955647
Why is Ivy better than Helm?
t. noob
>>
>>61955647
counsel-gtags isn't good enough yet to replace helm-gtags, that's one of the only reasons I stick with helm.

Besides, changing some of helm's default behavior makes it pretty tolerable
>>
>>61955668
It's much lighter.
>>
>>61950510
Yes, just install AUCTeX and enable the toolbar (M-x tool-bar-mode)
>>
>>61950510
Don't bother using vim for everything unless you intend to use vim for absolutely everything
>>
>>61956323
I think you meant emacs.
vim is a text editor.
>>
>>61955501
>why you would want to use emacs when vim exists
Because I prefer emacs?
>>
>>61950510
I already knew vim, but I find it very wortwhile. No editor is perfect, but spacemacs get a lot of things right I find
>>
>>61956358
Yeah but why, what does it have over vim?
>>
>>61956865
Email, tetris, lisp integration, teledildonics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo), etc
>>
Just use regular emacs with evil mode
>>
>>61956865
org-mode.
org-mode legitimately changed my workflow.
Plus I've become addicted to org-mode for writing Beamer presentations, latex reports, etc.
>>
>>61956915
Bloat.
>>61957006
Acceptable answer.
>>
>>61951625

Obviously not unless the brainlet can't follow Luke's basic-ass directions to get it to work.
>>
>>61951053
>you don't care about it taking a minute to start
What are you doing that makes it take a minute to start? Opening a 1GB file?
>>
>>61950510
>set up Vim for LaTeX
literally just use vim-plug to install vimtex and type \ll to compile the document automatically on change.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.