[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I just got a new Dell laptop for school that runs Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6876.png (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6876.png
29KB, 300x300px
Hey /g/, I just got a new Dell laptop for school that runs Windows 10 because the program requires that OS and that brand. This isn't about those factors though, it's about malware. Specifically, prevention.

Should I get an antivirus software? I've been using McAffee for a while now on past Laptops. I've also heard that certain browsers are more susceptible than others, like apparently Opera is very Spyware-prone and of course Microsoft Internet Explorer is shit regardless what they rename it as. I just installed Pale Moon as a browser.
>>
A lot of people here will say commonsense.org etc due to the fact that viruses are generally installed by people who don't know what they're even installing.

Malware is similar except just keep your nose clean and if it bothers you run a malware scanner now and again
>>
You don't need antivirus. You definitely do NOT need McAfee.

Windows 10 will insist that you keep Windows Defender on. It will update its definitions regularly with the usual (near-unstoppable) Windows Updates. Beyond that, just surf carefully and be attentive to fishy behavior. Chances are you'll be just fine.
>>
anti-virus software is malware, it slows down your system, hogs resources and causes bugs

just let the built in windows defender do its thing, disable flash and don't click on russian websites
>>
>>61940416
>malware scanner
As far as I'm concerned that's under the same category as "antivirus software."

Plus I'm more concerned with pop up/redirect spam shit doing something from what should be sites that wouldn't do that. Like any number of wikis I've had that happen on.

>>61940444
I always thought Defender was shit just like IE/Edge. The only reason (that I know of) for why my Dad advised it for years was the "Site Advisor" part. Why does McAfee suck?
>>
>>61940559
It's not necessarily shit, it's just not bleeding edge. But it's not meant to be because it comes along with Windows Updates that are meant to patch major security holes themselves. That having been said even a modicum of common sense and not just blindly visiting every URL that crosses your path should be enough. Stick to the rivers and streams that you're used to. Defender has your back for the egregious levels of stupidity you might mistakenly pursue.

McAfee sucks because it's a horrible value proposition. You pay a lot in system resources for not much in the way of protection.
>>
>>61940559
>>61940667
Oh and also regarding what the other Anon suggested, a malware scanner is not at all in the same family as antivirus software. Malware scanners like MBAM are on-demand utilities you can run when you suspect something has happened, like those popups you say you've seen. Antivirus is active monitoring and scheduled scanning. Malware scanners can offer such functionality but it's not advisable to even turn those on. Use only when needed.
>>
>>61940667
>>61940690
So basically "Don't be a mong" and you won't have to worry about malicious browser helper objects, browser hijackers, ransomware, keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, trojan horses, worms, malicious LSPs, dialers, fraudtools, adware, spyware, infected and malicious URLs, spam, scam and phishing attacks, online identity privacy security, online banking attacks, social engineering techniques, advanced persistent threat, botnet DDoS attacks or whatever scary internet threat of the day that your mom emails you about?
>>
>>61941319
Also I got that list of stuff from Wikipedia
>>
Dual boot GNU/Linux and only use Windows for your "work". Do not install antivirus.
>>
>>61940559
>site pop ups
A decent adblocker (Ublock Origin specifically) + noscript should help you get most stuff out.
>>
>>61942580
You can have 2 operating systems on a computer and swap between them?
>>
So the consensus is just run vanilla W10 with its built in defender software, no separate antivirus/antimalware/firewall, and don't go full retard when browsing the web?
>>
>>61943179
Yes, and make sure you install updates. Not that you have much choice. No amount of common sense protects you if you have outdated and vulnerable software on your computer.
>>
Windows 10 is malware
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.