[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone else here really excited about SBCs and how they will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B.png (144KB, 300x197px) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B.png
144KB, 300x197px
Is anyone else here really excited about SBCs and how they will advance in the near future? It seems the main way to get a new computer that can run entirely free firmware over the past several years has been to go with an SBC (yes, I know the Raspberry Pi series can't, at least not if you want full functionality currently). They have also been significantly easier and less expensive for smaller groups to fund than current higher end attempts such as those Talos motherboards people were going on about last year and failed to get enough funding due to how much they would cost. Furthermore, with the newest 7nm process node that will likely allow AMD to produce the Threadripper 1950X with the same performance at <100 watt TDP and the ability to overclock to 5 GHz while costing $500-$600 if everything GlobalFoundries claimed about 7nm comes to pass, imagine what that could mean for newer SBCs. I fully expect SBCs more powerful than Libreboot capable machines to start being manufactured in the near future.
>>
>>61926510
Well, you made me expect for the best OP, lets hope things are going to the right direction and we soon have at least an open platform.
In the meantime we need developers to replace the last remnants of binary blobs in the SBCs, like in Odroid, the only binary blob is some video driver and then is all free, that's it.
>>
>>61927304
The higher end ODROIDs need signed bootload blobs to boot last I checked. I've heard the Asus Tinker Board can use a FOSS boatloader though, and the specs seem comparable to the higher end ODROIDs such as the XU4 with the main difference being a 200 MHz lower clock speed (though it's designed to be clocked 800 MHz faster with an actual heatsink) and not having the 4 weaker cores that the ODROID has.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.