[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there still no ARM based laptop with a 12 cell battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: T430u_2_9947.jpg (34KB, 602x428px) Image search: [Google]
T430u_2_9947.jpg
34KB, 602x428px
Why is there still no ARM based laptop with a 12 cell battery for 24+ hour battery life?
>>
>>61924718
Was going to shitpost but I am genuinely interested in a touchscreen laptop with android or such. Battery life of 24 hours would be great.
>>
>>61924762
Android does most of what I need, I can read, watch movies, play emulators, use a text editor, etc.

A decent Snapdragon processor and 1080p touch screen in like a Thinkpad Chasis with fuckhuge battery is all I want.
>>
>>61924718
There is. Get a Linux tablet with a keyboard and touchpad. Back in 4.0 android was very amendable to making the mouse and keyboard on a bluetooth attachment feel like a desktop.

I noticed in the Galaxy tab series and newer android OSes, this is less possible as I dont think there is a natural mouse built into the OS anymore.
>>
>>61924813
Problem is they don't have fuckhuge batteries and 24+ hour battery life.

Making one sounds possible, but getting drivers for a laptop touch screen might be hard?\\\Literally a thinkpad with an arm chipset and all the empty space due to the smaller board becoming battery.

I want this.
>>
>>61924836
What exactly are you doing that requires arm?
>>
>>61924718
iPad with keyboard.
>>
>>61924718
Chromebook.

You didnt specify the OS.
>>
>>61924853
x64 uses significantly more power and space.

Using ARM lowers power usage while giving you more space for a massive battery.

>>61924871
15 hours at best in ideal conditions.

Not 24+
>>
>>61924836
Big problem you're going to run into here is the 99 whr battery size max for air travel or shipping by plane
>>
>>61924718
>>61924853
The Raspberry Pi/ARM version of Ubuntu Mate would be fucking awesome.
>>
>>61924874
They cheap out on the batteries in those and focus on them being too thing.

>Take a modern thinkpad
>Swap insides for ARM
>Use all new empty space for battery
>Bam, 24+ hour machine

>>61924879
How do they transport batteries for electric cars? Boat only?
>>
>>61924718
Samsung Chromebook Plus with RAVPower 26800 (USB-C)

The CB+ has only a 5140 mAh battery and easily gets 6 hours on a single charge at 70% brightness and heavy usage. With light usage and low brightness, I've easily gotten it up to 10+ hours.

With a powerbank you'd be able to recharge 5 times. I estimate you'd easily get 24hrs of heavy usage (10+ javascript-heavy tabs) with the 400nit display at max brightness.

(I love this device so much and have no shame in shilling about it.)
>>
>>61924879
I wonder if you could create a 99Wh addon cell. Maybe 99 in the laptop, then another 99 'pack' that clicks into the bottom, kinda like a thinkpad dock or those crappy kickstarter macbook port extender plate things
>>
>>61924718
I have an ARM-based laptop with a 4-cell battery that lasts 28h.
>>
>>61924897
you think they ship 200+ pound lithium ion batteries by air? Of course they send them on shipping containers, anything over a pound and made in bulk is done by boat.
>>
>>61924813
Android N still has a native pointer. Memesung turns Android to shit I guess.

>>61924879
True, 9-11Wh per single 18650.

>>61924893
Not so fast. SDRAM subsystems and controllers on these OTT/phone SoCs tend toward not great. I really want to see one with more than a 32-bit-wide RAM bus before I'd try anything too serious on it.
>>
>>61924718
Cause (((x86)))
>>
>>61928649
(((emulation)))
>>
>>61928678
It's all fun and games until some mexinigger puts a trampoline on the stack.
>>
>>61924718
>ARM
Into the trash.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.