[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're dual booting Linux and windows: Which if your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: pic related.jpg (218KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
218KB, 1280x853px
If you're dual booting Linux and windows:

Which if your software doesn't work on Linux?

Why do you when most of what you can do on Linux you can do just as well (if not better) on windows?

Which distro and which windows?
>>
>>61912826

PC idiots battling over Windows and Linux
>>
>>61912826
Fud
>>
>>61912867
Why battle when we can all coexist?
>>
FL Studio and I can't be arsed to WINE games.
Xubuntu and lose10.
>>
>>61913233
This. Fl Studio and my games on Steam are the only reason that I haven't switched to Linux.
>>
>>61912826
>Which if your software doesn't work on Linux?
muh gaems

>Why do you when most of what you can do on Linux you can do just as well (if not better) on windows?
See above.

>Which distro and which windows?
*buntu and W10
>>
>>61912826
Check your typos, autistic faggot, it made the whole phrase unreadable
Photoshop, Lightroom, Vegas, some games
>Why do you when most of what you can do on Linux you can do just as well (if not better) on windows?
Because Windows is slow as fuck, uses tons of resources, breaks my workflow, doesn't have all the tools I have on Linux, makes stuff complicated for no reason, and I don't use that stuff on a daily basis. The games I play the most are on Linux too, and usually if I'm not gaming or shitposting, I'm programming, which is way too comfy on Linux than on Windows
Arch Linux, Windows 10

>>61912867
macOS is fine if you want a slower bloated Linux, which is bad, but still better than Windows. I used it on my old PC when Windows became so bloated that it became unusable, and I was comfy; still, when I decided to install Linux I found it way better
>>
>>61912867
>PC intellectuals , windows and linux alike, laughing together at iFags and their overpriced iToy.
ftfy
>>
>>61912826
Gayms.
There is no good tiling wm on Windows and I prefer to run free software.
It is also a lot more comfy.
Debian and regular W10
>>
>>61912826
videogaems

false. and it's proprietary

NixOS, 7
>>
>Which software doesn't work on Linux

Photoshop, Lightroom, some games

Simply not true

>Which distro and which Windows

Arch + Win 10 LTSB
>>
File: 1498658882917.jpg (43KB, 598x346px) Image search: [Google]
1498658882917.jpg
43KB, 598x346px
>>61912826

PS, LR, muh GAEMS
lmao
debian, winderps 10
>>
>>61912826
i have to dual boot because sometimes sound or wifi will just not work for no reason and if i am out working i need stability. its sad but true
>>
File: Coilb-eWcAAuke0.jpg (19KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
Coilb-eWcAAuke0.jpg
19KB, 406x364px
>>61912826
Any kind of professional audio-related software (Sound Forge, RX, actual DAWs and so on), graphical software (especially Photoshop), video software and muh gaymz

Not true. Also, development is hella comfier on GNU/Linux.
Also GNU/Linux is generally faster and way comfier than Windows, and its command line which is way more useful and overall better than Windows’ cmd and Powershell.

ApricityOS (turned into Arch since Apricity’s repos are now dead) and Windows10 Edu

GNU/Linux and Windows are (from my point of view) complementary, and each can do things the other cannot do, or at least not as well as the other. Although GNU/Linux feels comfier, but the software I enjoy most to use runs under Windows.

>>61912867
macOS is actually kinda comfy, but I don’t feel free enough with it and feels to much of a toy or an OS Apple tries to make as easy to use as possible, I constantly feel like I’m considered as a retard by Apple.
>>
>>61913466
Look at this fucking kid talking about breaking his workflow when it consists of watching anime and reading r/the_donald and /pol/
>>
>>61913389
Doesn't explain why you Dual boot though.
>>
File: download (10).jpg (18KB, 262x193px) Image search: [Google]
download (10).jpg
18KB, 262x193px
I don't see any reason that I should be forced to work with black people in tech industry.
These ooga booga niggers are lazy, don't know shit about tech, somehow managing to was hundreds of thousands of dollars on education like the leaches they are.
They need to go back to working in cotton farms or collecting welfare stamps, it's the only two things these types of people have been useful for.
>>
>>61912826
I don't see the point of dual booting to be honest.

Ubuntu on my laptop, windows 10 on my desktop
>>
>>61914211
If you have two decent computers, that’s true.
But if people cannot afford to have two, or like me must move often with their computer and their work tools which are both under GNU/Linux and Windows, the best solution is dual-booting, or even virtualization of OS if the hosted OS doesn’t need too much resources.
>>
>>61913758
>professional audio-related software
>video software
Welp. Mediafags need not apply
>>
Photoshop, solidworks, 3ds max. Also .net development
>>
File: 1458512281581.jpg (565KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1458512281581.jpg
565KB, 1200x1600px
>>61912826
Literally the only things that work are chrome and firefox
Vidya is unplayable on Wine
Trying to install any actual program that you can operate returns a package manager error, because apparently the package manager needs to be updated, but updating it returns a package manager error
GNU/Linux is just a big joke
>>
>>61914270
Let's be real here, a nice Thinkpad or Elitebook wouldn't be more than 150 off eBay, it's more about want than affordability.
>>
>>61913219
>Why battle when we can all coexist?
Thank you.
>>
>>61914617
As long as the software used aren’t too much CPU and/or GPU hungry, it could be enough and fit the needs of quite a lot of people.
However, in my case it clearly isn’t, and I’m quite certain I’m not the only one, so it depends on the needs of the owner.
>>
>>61912826
Linux itself is the software that doesn't work
>>
File: troll.png (22KB, 817x1264px) Image search: [Google]
troll.png
22KB, 817x1264px
>>61912826
Just Vidya. I rely more on my setup for dev work.

Good luck getting my tiling window manager + spacemacs set up as nicely on Windows. Both are big deal breakers for me.

I use Windows 7, Slackware (on my shitposting laptop) and arch on my main machine. I'll probably move on to Slackware on my main machine if arch decides to break on me.

>>61912867
Pic (you)

>>61913219
Because some people need their bullshit console wars to feel superior.
>>
>>61913233
>>61913372

Games i get, but FL studio 12 works like a charm under WINE. Haven't had any problems with it, just make sure to install the windows fonts, and for an added boost to performance, compile the ck-patches and set the audio to your native linux audio handler (mine is pulseaudio because i'm cucked to systemd)
>>
I have zero reasons to switch/dual boot Linux. I want to do it though. My ego demands it and I love open software. Even though I rarely play PC games and mostly emulate consoles, I won't dual boot/switch to Linux because there is no practical gains for me and only disadvantage of having to dual boot just to play games.
>>
>>61913758
Powershell is surprisingly good
>>
>>61914600
>hm, the package manager doesn't seem to work
>it seems to work for other people
>maybe I should see what the detailed error message it shows me is about
>maybe it even contains some instructions on what to do
>nah I'll just claim that Ganoo/Loonix as a whole is shit
>>
>>61912826
Nvidia Optimus
>>
File: 1480266829152.jpg (96KB, 709x980px) Image search: [Google]
1480266829152.jpg
96KB, 709x980px
>>61912826
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: opensuselogo.png (12KB, 248x157px) Image search: [Google]
opensuselogo.png
12KB, 248x157px
>>61912826
>If you're dual booting Linux and windows:

->spelling correction: Which of your software doesn't work on Linux?
AAA games

->spelling correction: Why do you use Linux when most of your software runs as well or better on Windows?
-Linux has better default telemetry options if any
-Linux is Open Source
-Repositories > App store, I can install Linux with apps/drivers faster than Windows 10, Chocolatey (third party repos) only helps so much
-AMD driver in Linux kernel is awesome, no more separate driver installation
-Supports way more filesystems like ZFS and Btrfs natively

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Windows 10 Pro
>>
>>61913233
>audio development on windows
Lol
>>
>>61912826
Photoshop (+most of the Adobe suite) and games

Embedded systems and software development is just easier in GNU/linux + ricing cute anime desktops uguu~~~>>61912826

Debian + botnet10
>>
>>61912826
Kubuntu on my laptop for the day to day, win 10 ltsb on my desktop for muh gaymes
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.