[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best linux distro for daily use, and why? What distro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: club pinguin.png (24KB, 220x259px) Image search: [Google]
club pinguin.png
24KB, 220x259px
What is the best linux distro for daily use, and why? What distro have you got installed? Let's do this /g/.
>>
What do people mistake /g/ - Technology for a /g/ - OS choice?
>>
>>61898653

An OS is technology. This board is called 'technology'. That's why.
>>
I'm using Manjaro right now, p. good, has a few issues but so do all distros.

You can't really call any one distro supreme for daily use, because there are more distros than there are hairs in the grayest of beards; and no lone /g/entooman can truly know all of them. One may only know what is best for oneself.
>>
>>61898664

I'm actually rocking Manjaro too. It's with all the benefits of arch, but without having to pour 1000 hours into it. Not sure how it compares to other popular distros like Mint though.
>>
Debian stable. Debian packages in stable have got *a lot* of testing, and you only get security and minor feature updates for those until major upgrades, so you can be pretty sure nothing's going to break. It's something like Windows 10 LSTB but for Linux.
>>
>>61898646

Ubuntu because I'm a normie. Not even being ironic.
>>
>>61898646
Using ZorinOS Lite because it was the best ootb looking Xfce distro.

For daily use you should go with:
>Ubuntu, or it's official skins
>Fedora, or it's official skins
>openSUSE / Gecko
And stick with KDE, Xfce or GNOME. LXQt and Cinnamon are second best choices. Everything else is shit or abandonware, except for Budgie but I don't have any experience with it so I can't say if it's good.
>>
>>61898646
>What is the best linux distro for daily use, and why?
Ubuntu. Easy to install non-free software , also because Canonical sold their souls to Microsoft - it's the only distro (apart from Fedora, maybe) that your computer aren't trying to uninstall.
>What distro have you got installed?
Slackware. Because I'm a weirdo that likes to do everything manually.
>>
>>61898646
opensuse leap with kde
stable, reliable and user friendly
>>
Mint, because it just weeks. Windows 10 Home edition.
>>
Fedora
>>
>>61898646
Shittily enough, ubuntu/xubuntu still comes in as the best daily driver for me. I wish I could say otherwise, but my other distros keep exploding on me.
>>
File: opensuselogo.png (12KB, 248x157px) Image search: [Google]
opensuselogo.png
12KB, 248x157px
>>61898646
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
-Rolling
-Installation wizard
-GUI configuration
-Stable
-Rollbacks using Btrfs+Snapper
-Best KDE patching
-Automated package testing
-No-nonsense
>>
>>61898771
same here
>>
>>61899036
would use it if keeping my proprietory drivers installed wasn't such a hastle
>>
>>61898646
Ubuntu because Just Works(tm)

I used to distrohop between Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Slack, Manjaro and some other distros, but then I finally realized there's no point in deliberately making my life harder.
>>
>>61898646
Ubuntu / rhel
>>
File: 1471672762202.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1471672762202.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>61898646
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
CloverOS
>>
>>61899201
Bullshit.
>>
Arch. In the rare situation that something does fuck up, the troubleshooting is as simple as going to the Arch wiki and the solution will be there.
>>
>>61898809
>XFCE
>Still GTK 2
>NOT Abanadonware

Ummm
>>
>>61899141
Does gecko linux fix this? I hear it's "openSUSE without the bullshit".
>>
>>61899179
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
(1/2)
>>
>>61899179
>>61899333
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you come up with a valid counterargument.

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>61899333
You don't call Android android/Linux, you also don't call it Linux.
You don't call macOS MacOS/XNU, you also don't call it XNU.
You don't call windows windows/nt, you also don't call it NT.
Therefore, it's not Linux, it's not GNU/Linux. It's just GNU.
>>
>>61899361
You don't call a Hamburger Hamburger/Toppings, you also don't call it toppings.
Therefore, it's not GNU, it's not GNU/Linux. It's just Linux.
>>
Nobody but intel autists give a shit about the GNU/Linux naming discussions you faggots. Go be autistic somewhere else.
>>
>>61898646
>>61898771
>>61899047
I was on Win10 up until yesterday and I now im on ubuntu. But I miss photoshop and Cortana. I'm not even lying, Cortana is super easy when you need quick info like time and weather on different locations, quick definitions and just when you need to take some notes.
Yeah, I know about Wine to run photoshop and it sucks. And my laptop isn't that much powerful enough to run PS on wine, but I don't regret my decision to switch to linux. As a matter of fact I was using Arch before I installed windows. I think this will by my final OS install on this laptop till it dies. Ubuntu is a final redpill folks. I was only using windows for photoshop desu. And don't tell me to dualboot. I'm not a bisexual faggot.
>>
>>61899469
>miss photoshop
which features of PS do you miss?
>miss Cortana
fuck this spyware. But if you still want some 'oj, google' bullshit - you can try Mycrofy AI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUitCg2PCQo
>>
>>61898646
Android.
>>
>>61899469
Doesn't oobongo have a search function built into its desktop?
>>
>>61898682
>>61898682
>>
>>
>>61898846
>Slackware. Because I'm a weirdo that likes to do everything manually.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, seems like most other Slackware posts are shitposters these days
>>
>>61898646
I'm trying out Solus, so far it's pretty good, just werks and all that. The only thing I don't really like is the package manager but it's good enough.
>>
>>61898698
>super duper pooper old software that is years old
>>
>>61898646
Debian with i3wm
>>
>>61899570
Yeah I think it does on Unity with all that Amazon botnet and stuff but I'm on Gnome and it's search is not so intelligent.
>>
>>61899666
>i can't think for myself and have no idea what i'm talking about so i just repeat memes i saw on /g/
>>
>>61898646
Archlinux because I have no friends
>>
>>61899721
>Archlinux because I have no friends

same lol.
It's a good distro for learning, the documentation (wiki) is amazing plus I like the philosophy.
>>
>>61899714
Just because you are a retard that repeats memes does not mean everyone else is, I have used Debian Jessie for a long time, and while it is stable (aside from being an old as fuck kernel not supporting new hardware as well as the newer kernel), it has OLD SOFTWARE
Virtualbox there is so old that it doesn't even have paravirtualization support
>>
>>61901495
Good thing VirtualBox provides official .deb packages for the latest version, retard. Now go back to fixing Xorg conf, pacman fucked it again.
>>
>>61899347
>>61899333
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61898646
I'd personally say ubuntu, Debian or Manjaro are the best distros for daily use. Ubuntu is well supported and has relatively up to date and stable software, Debian is extremely stable and reliable, and Manjaro balances new software with stability and ease of use.

I have Ubuntu GNOME installed on my desktop and Manjaro GNOME installed on my laptop, I'd say they're both very good distros for personal day-to-day use.
>>
>>61898646
I can't speak to best, because it depends on use case. I've run Mint since late 2008 and daily driven it since early 2012.
>>
honestly Gentoo. it's the only distro I find tolerable
>>
File: 1460830006395.gif (1005KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1460830006395.gif
1005KB, 500x333px
>>61904552
I'm a pretty new to OSs but I'm absolutely willing to learn - is there any intrinsic value to installing gentoo instead of like manjaro/arch/mint/ubuntu/whatever?
>>
Arch Linux, it just werks.
>>
>>61904689
I would say that there is no value in Gentoo aside from memeing.
>>
>>61898646
GNU/Linux
>>
>>61899333
>>61899347
>>61899361
Fake gay and wrong.
>>
>>61898646
There's several valid options, but...
Gotta say it.
I'm pretty happy with 4.11.0-14-generic
>>
>>61898646
They are all the same but debian is comfiest, at least for me. Just install it and forget about it for four years or so
>>
>>61899643
>Solus
It's pretty neat, I just don't like the limited packages. I'm using it on an X230, and it runs really well, but I don't see myself using it on a desktop.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.