[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know half you fuckers don't even program, but to those

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: 1499939338394.jpg (175KB, 690x330px) Image search: [Google]
1499939338394.jpg
175KB, 690x330px
I know half you fuckers don't even program, but to those you do, I'm curious: What is your development workflow like? What tools do you use? An IDE? A text editor + compiler + debugger + whatever else? Are you always on Linux?
Discuss.
>>
dev is for faggots anyway, enjoy making the same as operations but with more stress
>>
>>61891561
As you said, I'm just doing some low level programming, but I'm mainly doing it on vim and on linux. It's probably best that I install some kind of script to that it can compile or use a plugin for it. I'm betting some people here use emacs. Code in haskell and c++.
>>
>>61891595
Can I get that in English?
>>
>>61891561
Spacemacs, gcc, and gdb on my Manjaro system.
>>
I just use VScode + Powershell
>>
At work: C#, Visual Studio with VsVim plugin
At home: C, python, vim
>>
Wangblows 10
VS2017 + VSO + Git

Sure, it's a pretty pajeet way of life, but it's a living.
>>
>>61891561
Vim or Sublime Text with vintage mode enabled
>>
Right now I'm only doing arduino/arduino ide compatible programmers programming. I use atom, clang and bash for builds normally.
I mainly use Linux now but normally I program on windows. This is vacation time though, so no windows.
At work we use visual studio and assorted debugging/memory analysis tools coupled with clang-format for ensuring consistent code style. I use atom there too.
>>
I used to dual boot but with WSL on Win10 it's eliminated the need to use Linux at all. I use Linux tools wherever possible because the options on Windows suck, but I like to write in np++. The only exception is for C# where I just use VS for everything because everything else sucks for C# development.
>>
>>61891561
Portable virtual machine (Lubuntu 14.04)
Komodo IDE installed (yeah, i paid for it, so what)
Lots of shell/perl scripts and aliases

A console window opened at startup and always visible.
>>
Eclipse for write / debug
Maven for package management
Git for source
Amazon Code Pipeline for build and deploy
For smaller things, Vim on Linux (Ubuntu or Amazon LMI)
At home, Cmder (cmd, bash and mintty) on Win 7 and mix of Vim, Notepad++ or Atom. I like Atom because I can rice it with anime girls and glowing text and shit.
>>
I use Arch as my OS and Netbeans as my IDE for writing Java with git integration for version control, and then sometimes Nano for Bash.
>>
>>61891561
>What tools do you use?
Magnetized needle and a steady hand
>>
>>61891561
At work: Windows 7, npm, sublime
At home: alcohol
>>
- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.
>>
Depends on the language and the project. For the most time I program in Java on a Debian machine. If I work heavily with some Windows stuff I develop in a VM. For Java I use InteliJ, for C and Python VIM. Looking forward to learn prolog.
>>
>>61892288
sounds more like a fun weekend in Vegas
>>
>>61891612
Finish highschool Tyrone, if you can't understand that you don't have a chance of becoming a developer or an operations man
>>
>>61891561

OS is primarily Ubuntu though I do have a windows 8 virtual machine I use sometimes.
For work my usual development workflow is pretty much limited to this hmi/scada IDE called Ignition,
it's written in java and includes a Jython interpreter for the developer to use in projects.
If I ever needed something it doesn't offer, I'd probably use eclipse for module development.

Also use pgadmin 3 alot for work.

For any other projects I'll use whatever language is most efficient: c, python, bash, etc..
Python is pretty versatile, and reads like a book so it's my goto. Multi-caret editing is essential
so I'll use sublime. or if I have time to kill i'll fuck around with some plugin for vim.
>>
File: serveimage (1).jpg (78KB, 460x162px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (1).jpg
78KB, 460x162px
-dont wear a burglar hoody
-use only 1 monitor (nobody can read more than 2 documents at once, not even Al Gore)
-learn to window manage
-dont program in a dark room
-adjust your monitors contrast and brightness so you dont go blind

pic related, dont do this
>>
>>61892543
>-use only 1 monitor (nobody can read more than 2 documents at once, not even Al Gore)

>dude hold on let me alt tab between these two windows a million times
>>
>>61892591
You're either pressing two buttons or moving your head to the side
Same impact
Neither is more productive, one just spent ~$100+ on another monitor
>>
80% of "programmers" today are just copy-and-paste guys cut their internet and they don't know what to do. It's sad
>>
>>61891561
I've got a text editor I rolled myself that I use. I'm running Xmonad on GNU/Linux, so an IDE is useless for me. My version control is git. I use shell scripts to automate my build process because Make seems useless to me. I have it installed anyways though because other people use it.
>>
XCode on MacOS :^) itjustwerks
>>
>>61893003
kys
>>
File: 1478984863802.jpg (1MB, 1500x866px) Image search: [Google]
1478984863802.jpg
1MB, 1500x866px
>>61891561
Microsoft Visual Studio is a good IDE and of course Windows 10 is the most modern Operating system at the moment. Some of the Linux distributions look nice to GNU, Ubuntu and Kali all look like great.
>>
"Proper" face/keyboard action: VS 2013 because it'll handle NSight and Python at the same time. For quick testing of snippets of code, gcc + notepad files. Looking into what it takes to use the nvcc compiler for "quick" CUDA development. It's not looking good on this front.

The other computer uses Ubuntu, so it's all terminal +/&& Visual Studio Code, though I've tried getting into Vim. It's going memeingly. No CUDA installed on that one yet because I can use that time for face-smashing on the first computer because I'm obviously an retard and my shit don't work like it should :(
>>
>>61891561
An extremely underrated text editor that I absolutely love is Kate. Comes with all the features I would expect from a modern non-CLI code editor, it's faster to load than something like Atom or VS Code, and it doesn't nag for a license like Sublime does (yeah yeah NSA key whatever).

So I use that, with project view on the left with all the files and folders I'm using, and alt-tabbing between Kate and my terminal to compile/debug. For me, this is preferable to a bloated IDE with so many buttons and features that I will never use. Half the time what I need to do has been obfuscated and over-complicated in an IDE like Visual Studio, where I'm just trying to do one thing and have to dig through a million different menus to find what I'm looking for.
>>
>>61892184
i keked
>>
Depends on the language.
>>
Windows 10/Ubuntu
Text editor:
GVim
Compiler/Debugger:
VS 2015/GCC

I spend 90% of dev time in Vim.
I use itor everything.
>>
File: 1335321260444.png (132KB, 347x400px) Image search: [Google]
1335321260444.png
132KB, 347x400px
Java dev here.

macOS + IntelliJ + Datagrip + iTerm2
>>
>>61891561
Windoze/Linux
Sublime
Compiler/Debugger change
Workflow:
Come up with a sick idea
It doesnt work
Cry or get mad
Sleep
Wake up with a better idea
Repeat until it does thing
>>
>open vm with DOS 6.22
>start qbasic
>open GORILLAS.BAS
>fuck with the code
>run
>shit crashes

Development workflow level = 1000000
>>
>>61892243
Truth
>>
>>61891684
>At home: C, python, vim
The absolute state of C embedded developers constantly shilling in /dpt/ against C++ and Java. You're pathetic.
>>
Started using WSL on a windows 10 laptop.

Took a bit of setup, but now it's pretty good for various scripting, web dev, java and c++ fun.

VSCode, IntelliJ.

At work I use a macbook for the same stuff (and Unity/iOS/Android development) with Sublime and VS2017.
>>
>OS
Windows/Linux (rarely OSX)
>Editor
Sublime/Eclipse
>Language
Python, Ruby, C++, PHP
>>
Work: VS2015, SVN
>>
>>61891561
>What is your development workflow like?
scrum, even if I work on my own, I keep meetings with myself so I can keep track of stuff I am putting off and what I have made.
I have meetings with my supervisor, so it also helps to constantly communicate where you are and what you are working on.
>What tools do you use?
Pen and paper for notes, git for scm, cmake for building and kdevelop for editing.
I use a lot of tools, but they are all task dependent.
>Are you always on Linux?
Yes. The systems I build is linux only, we use an IPC that doesn't work on windows, but has a ton of tools that make it really easy to inspect and debug.
>>
if you think OS makes any difference at all to how you're programming you're a brainlet
>>
At work Fedora + IDEA, tmux on the terminal because Jetbrains doesn't let you tile terminals. Languages are Python and sadly, Typescript.
At home Windows + VS2017 or QtCreator. Compiler suite is MSYS2 gcc/g++ and MSVC, CMake as build tool. For python/node/etc the same IDEA workflow.
Honestly Windows is a pain, but dual booting is more of a pain.
>>
>>61895495
C++ is bloated tho lol
>>
>>61895781
>Languages are Python and sadly, Typescript.

You know C++ but you do python and typescript? Why not changes jobs?
>>
vim, gcc for compiling c, racket for scheme, python is kind of obvious

Thinking of learning emacs, but not sure if it's worth it,
>>
>>61895799
I fell for the webdev trap. It's not that bad all things considered, it's easy enough if you don''t throw every meme framework on the project, and it pays well enough because of the webapp hype.
>>
>>61895825
Left out that I'm on Void, but I was on Arch until recently. Both are really great. I'm always on some sort of GNU/Linux. Looking to work with openbsd more in the future, though.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.