[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2017 >Linux is still unusable for gaming >or watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: f80.jpg (21KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
f80.jpg
21KB, 600x330px
>2017
>Linux is still unusable for gaming
>or watching videos thanks to screen tearing

I started using Linux in 2015, and I think I'm pretty much done with it. 2 entire years and nothing had changed. I think I'll use Win 7 as long as it's supported, possibly even longer. It's not like I have a choice.
>>
>2017
>he uses bare Linux kernel
>>
Well you can disable screen tearing faster than you can say "fuck Windows" if you suffer from it.
>>
how is it unusable for gaming? it has steam and lots of games.
>>
>>61888361
compton + TearFree (if you're on Intel) or ForceFullCompositionPipeline (if you're on NVidia).

this is literally a google search away, op.
>>
File: 1495053469216.jpg (83KB, 1024x860px) Image search: [Google]
1495053469216.jpg
83KB, 1024x860px
>>61888433
>>61888414
>>61888411
OP BTFO
>>
>>61888361
Install Iwndows 10.
It's a good OS.
>>
>>61888454
stupid cat poster
>>
>>61888361
>2 entire years and nothing had changed
>I don't actually use linux at all and don't know much about it.
>>
>>61888433
>have to do all this stuff just to watch a fucking video

>while Windows had been doing this for years without problemes

Lincucks think this is acceptBLE
>>
File: 1502558085956.png (169KB, 626x348px) Image search: [Google]
1502558085956.png
169KB, 626x348px
>>61888532
>all this stuff
if this takes more than 3 minutes you're confirmed sub-50 iq. at least it's better than the eternal cursor bug on ati/amd cards on windows.
>>
There are two types of open source projects: The first type is the software built by womanless losers on SourceForge who have so much fucking free time in their lives that they can take hours out of their day to contribute to some worthless open source project that like everything else in their pathetic lives they won’t complete. They won’t document it. They won’t fix the legions of bugs that they built into the software. They will just fade away leaving their code-turd forever stinking up the digital domain.
The second type of open source project is maybe even more insidious than the first. It’s the corporate open source project. This is the project which is directed by, funded by and whom all of the contributors are employed by large corporations. It’s open source to better their market position or to encourage the use of their services. I’m fine with that. I’m a lover of capitalism. What disgusts me are you doe-eyed open source hippies that swallow the bullshit they are feeding you. You naive losers are being bamboozled by your corporate masters because you don’t understand how marketing works. They are contributing to the open source “movement” not to make the world a better place or set software free or build a code utopia or whatever nonsense you believe they are doing it to gain consulting services market share, raise brand awareness or the sell their proprietary solutions that complement the “free ones.”
>>
Nvidia ti 980 + manjaro xfce here. There are plenty fixes for screen tearing. Took me literally 15min to fix after installation.
>>
>>61888361
>2 entire years
sure seems like you put alot of dedication into it.
>>
>>61888583
>ati
lincucks and its users truly belong in the past
>>
>>61888361
It's fine for gaming. I'm using it exclusively and have absolutely no problems.
>screen tearing
I 100% doubt you'd use an OS for 2 years if it gives you screen tearing. You're an obvious shill. Anyway, tearing only happens on Xfce and "light" DEs and can be fixed under 15 minutes (included time spent to searx it and find solutions), which again proves that you're not using Linux. Nobody who isn't completely retarded wouldn't take 10-15 minutes to fix tearing but still use the system for 2 years and then claim they'll take an hour+ installing a different OS because of it.
>>
>>61888361
but muh terminal!
>>
>>61888433
>ForceFullCompositionPipeline (if you're on NVidia).
Already tried that, but unfortunately there's still some tearing. Meanwhile on Windows everything goes perfectly smoothly.
I like the idea of Linux, but there are still lots of problems with it. It needs at least another 10 years of development, minimum. It's just plain user unfriendly, as if they're intentionally trying to make it hard to use. Being forced to type console commands that should've had a GUI written for them like 15 years ago almost every day is ridiculous. I also really don't understand where are the developers putting their focus. They're constantly rewriting shit for literally no reason. Throwing away useful things. Not fixing bugs. Not caring about backwards compatibility. All the while breaking the user experience. It's just astonishingly unprofessional.

>>61888481
Technically I know there were a few improvements (if you can call the spread of SystemD that), but from the users' viewpoint not much had changed. The only thing that stands out to me is how KDE got flatter, uglier, and ten times more unstable.
>>
>>61888595
tl;dr
>>
Why is it so easy to trick /g/ into being tech support? The best part is they actually feel like they scored some sort of victory by being your tech support. I see these threads multiple times per day, "wow linux sucks you cant even do X checkmate freetards" and then everyone rushes to "BTFO" OP by showing him exactly how to do X
>>
File: 1482821681394.gif (775KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1482821681394.gif
775KB, 300x168px
>>61888532
>without problems

On my HP Spectre x360 (a machine made for Windows 10) the intel video drivers are so shit that the entire OS lags every 60 frames or so.

Installed Ubuntu Gnome, literally everything works flawlessly out of the box (no tearing or stutter at all), and I haven't booted Windows for three months now.
>>
>>61888361
Solus Linux 4 u.

Great steam integration and no screen tearing on budgie.
>>
>>61889513
Unless you roleplay as tech support they'll call everyone stupid and the Linux community elitist. Hence why I always say "works on my machine" and don't participate in further debates.
>>
>>61889600
How is the performance? When I was gaming on KDE Neon the performance was shit for some reason. Ubuntu and Xubuntu worked out much better.
>>
>muh games
>>>/s/teamos
>>
>>61888940
Linux will always be a hobbyist OS for neckbeards who don't at all mind spending countless hours tinkering with config files and terminal shit.. The fact linux is still so cli-oriented is what they like about it. The only chance for linux to ever get above 2% market share is if someone like Google pulls an "Android" and builds an elegant and idiot-proof GUI based distro and it comes pre-installed because normies are literally never going to install an entirely different OS, they are so dumb these days they can bare even use Android or iOS.
>>
>>61889650
They have their own steam runtime so it should be good.
Not magical though but I've heard it's a couple of fps faster than other distros. I wouldn't know, I use my laptop only for studying to avoid distractions and that's my only Solus PC.
>>
>Intel offers open source drivers for their iGPU
>still has screen tearing on every single distro (tried both KDE and GNOME and various derivatives)
The power of open source.
>>
File: Junko.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Junko.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>61888361
>has most advanced piece of academic/military technology at his disposable
>"i dont give a shit, let me play games xddd"
You mankids are too retarded to live.
>>
>>61890221
>linux is still so cli-oriented
Both of the issues OP whined about can be resolved with graphical tools like Steam and nvidia-config.
>normies are literally never going to install an entirely different OS
Who gives a shit what normies think?
>>
>>61888433
I used to do this but since upgrading to fedora 26 i get no tearing by default.
>>
>>61888595
Stop using so many adjectives. It makes your text a painful to read, turning it into less effective bait.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.