[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, how do I get started working on engines/emulators? Projects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (347KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
347KB, 1280x720px
/g/, how do I get started working on engines/emulators?

Projects like OpenMW are the coolest shit, and I wish I could help contribute. After seeing FreeSO end their TS1 mobile port because of legal worries (despite it being legal) and closing the source of their progress, I really want to have the skills to do things similar to that even if I never actually do.

I love the idea of being able to pull a ROM from some old kids toy like those digivices or tamagotchi and be able to build an emulator around it. But I have no idea where to even begin. I've always wanted to gamedev but this is even better.

Aside from knowing C, what should I learn? Is this one of those situations where if I don't know how to do it, I shouldn't be trying to do it?
>>
Just do it!
>>
>>61873908
You NEED learn assembly for the architecture you're targeting. Otherwise you can't emulate the processor.
>>
>>61873976
(you don't have to write in it, just read it along with the raw binaries)
>>
>>61873950

>>61873976
>>61873990
Alright, thanks. I guess emulating one of those things is harder than expected. I didn't really consider much farther than finding out what CPU was in it. Anything past that just looks like magic C to me.
>>
Take a look at the chip 8 for a first emulation project. it's a really simple architecture and is easy to start with. Next I'd recommend a mos6502/vic 20 emulator project since that one is really simple as well, just a lot more work.

I've written x86/pc, gameboy, vic20 and some other emulators. It's a lot of fun seeing all those gears turning in the end. Good luck.
>>
The hardest part isn't actually making it work, it's making it playable. Anything from the GBA era on will be absolutely unplayable without some optimizations.

As for making open source emulators of current games, your best bet is to cut your teeth on an obligatory doom clone. The concept is simple, it's like game development, but the assets and everything are already done. You'll see for even a 20+ year old game and plenty of open source implementations, the time sink is MASSIVE.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.