[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any oldfag here who was 20 in the 90s and can tell us how hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 9fxvy22dypsy.jpg (51KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
9fxvy22dypsy.jpg
51KB, 1334x750px
Any oldfag here who was 20 in the 90s and can tell us how hard it is to keep up with the exponential growth of technology?
>>
>>61872068
40 here, what do you mean by "keep up with"?

It's expected that you should progress beyond entry level code monkey/helpdesk jobs into management positions after a while in the trenches

You should of course be careful to avoid this "change is just a fad" mentality that permeates /g/, or you end up like the unemployed "IT jack of all trades" guy who railed against the cloud and smartphones and apps throughout the '00s

But respecting the fact that change happens doesn't require that you act like a hysterical 20 year old with ADHD when you're middle aged
>>
>>61872133
This. It's intuitive.
>>
>>61872133
Not OP, but you totally missed the point you stupid twat.
>>
Try being a medic. You'll be swamped up by the vast amount of new information. It's not so different from technology, except for the fact we actually have to study those new things. Guidelines, treatments, concepts, everything can and will change before you even finish medical school. You fucking technology people have it easy. New hipster shit comes up and you can just ignore it. If we don't keep up we risk making mistakes, getting sued for hundreds of thousands in damages & losing your license.
>>
>>61872295
>being a healthcare slave

lmao
>>
>>61872133
I'm not talking about jobs, I'm talking about whether you had difficulties in adapting from whatever technology was in the 90s to what it is today.
I mean computers, smartphones, the internet and the way it has become pervasive, smart everything... Were you able to keep up with all this? Do you understand tech now like you did when you were young?
>>
I don't keep up with all the social media type apps that are popular: slack, discord, snapchat, instagram, all that shit is foreign to me 'cause I have no interest. I had to go on a discord for the first time the other day to download some mod for a game and I felt like an old person figuring out the UI and shit.
>>
File: press-hero-min-15.jpg (143KB, 2048x1138px) Image search: [Google]
press-hero-min-15.jpg
143KB, 2048x1138px
>>61872844
>Were you able to keep up with all this?
Yes and no. I refuse to own smart appliances as they exist currently, because there's very obviously nothing in it for me. Maybe in the future. I dislike smart watches because I prefer real watches. Those are optional things to have, you do not need a wifi sous vide cooker to function as a normal member of society unlike say, having a smart phone, or using email. I don't see those things changing either. Some things will, like cars, home automation, and stuff like that. But I do not own a cage and I expect if I ever move to a cage bound flyover place, I will be using a fractional ownership self-driving car kind of thing. Won't be for a while in any case

Also as of 2017 95% of "smart" stuff is either a toy/conversation piece (like smart watches) or a brazen yet misguided cash grab (juicero, anova facebook-enabled sous vide, etc)

I use some proprietary chat apps, such as Signal, and I eschew others, such as Whats App. I am basically off social media except LinkedIn since my being easily accessible to recruiters keeps my boss from taking me for granted.

>Do you understand tech now like you did when you were young?
I don't know if I can really meaningfully answer that. I certainly didn't understand or engage with all "tech" when I was young, and I don't today either. Proportionally, my relationship with tech is probably about the same. I get out of it what I want out of it, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
Once you no longer can keep up with new tech you become a manager :^)
>>
>>61872319
>being a replaceable, outsourceable minimum wage cuck code monkey

lmao
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.